Double slit experiment with entangled electrons

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by HawkI, Jan 3, 2019.

1. HawkI Registered Senior Member

I wonder what would happen?

Once observed

Once not observed

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You sound like river☺
    How about you flesh out your question so others can join in.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Entangled in what way? Please describe the experimental conditions you are thinking about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

How would you know what happens in an unobserved experiment?

gmilam likes this.
  8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Time for a physics joke.

A physicist walks into a particle shop and asks for a pair of entangled particles.
    The shopkeeper says, "Certainly Sir, will that be with mass, or without?"

The physicist says, "Just an expectation value will do nicely."

Michael 345 and Write4U like this.
  9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I just read an explanation of entangled particles and what struck me is that entanglement may not recognize spatial dimensions at all.

Does it belong in a separate dimensional configuration, where spatial dimensions are not recognized?

If spacetime is limited to SOL, the only other explanation is that entanglement is not dependent on spatial configurations at all, and thereby effectively bypassing the SOL requirement.

As I understand it, there are many more dimensions than our normal 3 + 1 dimensional spacetime. Eleven (11) is it?
    Could one of these other dimensions be the non-spatial medium for entanglement?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Those higher dimensions (for string theory) are not extended; they are far, far smaller than an atom. To-wit:

If you were to fly around the universe, it might take you billions of years to span the breadth of our 3 extended spatial dimensions to arrive back where you started. But a subatomic particle moving less than its own diameter spans the breadth of these compacted dimensions many many times over, looping back to the same place uncountable times with just that tiny movement.

Another way to think of it is a stunt motorcycle in a "cage of death".
    The cage is normally spherical and about 7m in diameter , and the biker loops back around to his original position after travelling about 22m.

But what if the cage was compressed in the Y and Z dimensions to the shape of a cigar, until its only 1cm x 1cm x 7m*?

*It's a very small biker on a very small motorcycle.

He is still free to travel forever, in any direction of his choosing. He will loop back around to his starting point after 7m if he heads due X. But if he heads at any other angle, he will loop around hundred of times in direction Y and Z before completing one loop in direction X.

If the Y and Z dimensions of the cage and even smaller, he won't even experience them. He will feel like he is merely travelling back and forth along a line 7m long - even as he loops back thousands of times through Y and Z.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Or you might not be able to fly around the Universe. There is (currently) no indication that it is closed. It appears to be flat (I don't personally think that it is but there is no data for that).

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, but my question is if there could be one (or more) spaceless dimension. It seems to me that instant communication can only happen in a medium which is not spatial but strictly temporal?

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I can't remember whether it's just 11D or 26D, but one or both of them does have a second time-like dimension.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I like it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Causal structure of a space-time with two time dimensions and one space dimension.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_time_dimensions

But could that account for entanglement? One dimension chronological (3 + 1), the other instantaneous (3 +1) + 1?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019