Dogs

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Arne Saknussemm, Jul 19, 2014.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I was wrong, it is 2 million dogs and cats are killed in shelters yearly. This from the Humane Society

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2oCoBQ&usg=AFQjCNEwgvk98ZHGSkCxyADns5ia5yt77w

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It isn't a myth. Small dogs get a bite in more often than large dogs. Perhaps it's just because people tend to be less cautious around small dogs (including the owners). But I get the idea that smaller dogs are sneakier and less confindent than their larger counterparts.
    I've been bitten twice, both were small dogs. One of them attacked from behind. That one tried to bite me everytime I turned my back to it and retreated whenever I turned to face it.
    One other time a small dog sneakily followed me for about a hundred meters. It walked on the other side of the road and closed in when I had my back turned to it. Whenever I stopped to look at it, it stopped an growled.
    The large majority of people, that I know have been bitten by a dog, were bitten by small dogs.
    By the way, I hardly ever come across a dog owner that warns people for their dog. They pretty much always say that their dogs are harmless. Sometimes even after they have already bitten someone.

Until they do.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

I found the pet dog stinks

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, it's due to centuries of breeding practices. Large dogs have to be polite and tractable or they'd wreak havoc. People are more tolerant of bad behavior in small dogs, because you can just pick one up and lock him in his kennel.

After living with us for at least 12,000 years and 12,000 generations of selective breeding, Canis lupus familiaris has evolved to fulfill our needs. One of the traits we rely on most commonly is their protective instinct.

All dogs have phenomenally greater senses of smell than humans, and can pick up on pheromones that signal friendliness or hostility. If your dog doesn't like somebody, before you get angry at him I'd suggest that you very carefully vet this person and find out if he's really who he seems to be. Our dogs didn't want to let my mother into the house, and they were right. Unfortunately we had to do it anyway.

In addition, dogs with short muzzles typically have their photoreceptors clumped in the center of their eyes. This makes them experts at reading our facial expressions and body language. So again, they pick up clues that we miss. (Dogs with long muzzles are typically hunters so their photoreceptors are spread out in a line, allowing them to track their prey. Don't try to play "fetch" with a pug, and don't expect a wolfhound to know when you're in a bad mood--although he may sense it in your pheromones.)

How often do you bathe him? Depending on how much time he spends outdoors and how many stinky things he'll find to roll around in out there, a dog needs to be bathed at least twice a year, and perhaps as often as twice a month.

Dogs don't groom themselves like cats.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

While that might be so sometimes, I think it generally has more to do with their protective instinct. Any strangers are viewed with distrust.
    Also, I think you're leaving out that some dogs just have a nasty personality. You could say that it's most often the owners fault, but you could just as well say that about humans (referring to parents/upbringing in stead of owners of course).
    On a daily basis, I encounter a number of dogs and about half will be hostile (some will go downright berserk). Even though, I do consider myself a good person and an animal friend at that.. so go figure

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyhow, I've learned to read dogs pretty well and can often spot whether or not a dog will be a problem.

Edit:
    One other thing about dogs and their owners. In my experience (and that's a lot of experience) about 70 - 80% of dogs owners are regularly very annoyed with their dog to the point of loud screaming and cursing at their dog. Most of this occurs indoors where they think no one notices.. so I guess they are as embarresed about it as they should be.
    Just an observation

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Here are three lists that say your lists are wrong

Conculsive List of Top 10 dog breeds that Bite

These are top 10 dog breeds that bite and are commonly regarded as most dangerous dog breeds.

Pit bull

Pit Bull dog breed tops the list of the top 10 dog breeds that bite and have been known to cause serious fatalities in humans. Pit bulls are known for their bravery and fearlessness. They are feared since they have been reported to maul humans to death. They are however good guard dogs and to some people they make good pets.

Rottweiler

Rottweiler dogs are territorial dog breeds making them earn the number two in the list of the top 10 dog breeds that bite. This makes them perfect guard dogs. They are also dangerous when they age since they suffer from amnesia and may even attack their master.

Doberman Pinschers

Doberman Pinschers are known for intelligence and being loyal. They are amongst the top 10 dog breeds that bite since they attack when they are provoked. They are generally considered to be the best of all dog breeds for purpose of guarding.

Presa Canario

Presa Canario dogs are known for their man stopping ability, power and bravery. They are simply dangerous creatures. For this reason they have their number amongst the top 10 dog breeds that bite people.

Huskies

According to statistics of the late 19th century huskies caused a reasonable amount of fatalities and therefore they are regarded as dogs that bite.

German Shepherds

No doubt that German Shepherds make great companion dogs and working dogs but they can as well beferocious and bite. They have been known world over to make the best police dogs due to their intelligence and bravery.

Chow Chow

Are independent dog breed that can be aggressive and bite especially when they are cross bred with other breeds that are here in the list of the top 10 dog breeds that bite.

Alaskan Malamutes

The dog breed is characterized by high vigor and energy and disobedient. They can also be bad and bite at times.

Dalmatians

They are known for their good memory and ability to survive. They can be provoked by strangers and they may be aggressive and bite strangers.

Boxers

They are aggressive from their genetic makeup and they have high energy levels. This makes them aggressive and can easily bite.

http://peteducationinfo.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Dog-Breeds-that-Bite

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
    Doberman Pinschers
    Rottweilers
    German Shepherds
    Chows
    Great Danes
    Presa Canarios
    Akitas
    Alaskan Malamutes
    Siberian Huskies
    Wolf-hybrids

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cateyhill/2012/05/30/11-riskiest-dog-breeds-for-homeowners-and-renters/

‘Shantaram’ by Gregory David Roberts was a book that instilled in me a deep fear of stray dogs. As it turns out, however, mongrels are not the only type of dogs that pose a threat to human safety. Dog bites and attacks have been a menace to society from the time humans domesticated dogs. Though they are generally friendly creatures, listed below are some breeds of dogs that bite viciously and at the slightest provocation, sometimes going so far as to cause fatalities. A 2009 report by DogsBite brought up some startling statistics- just 19 breeds of dogs are in totality responsible for 88 deaths that occurred in the three year period preceding the study. Read on to know more-

10. Dachshund

They’re small and cute and even slightly ridiculous. Who would think that these adorable little sausage shaped dogs could transform into aggressive monsters at times. But studies have shown that one in twelve dachshunds have often snapped at or tried to bite their owners. One in five have bitten or attempted to bite other dogs or strangers. Dachshunds, in fact, have made it to the list of most aggressive dogs many times over. A study showed that 20.6% of dachshunds are aggressive towards strangers and often lash out at them, more than any other dog breed. They are a clear example of why small does not always equate to cute.

Real life incident- A lady in Illinois Linda Floyd suffered from an unpleasant experience when her dachshund Roscoe chewed off her big toe while she slept.

9. Alaskan Malamute

Malamutes are also known as sled dogs. They are generally friendly with humans but may display aggression towards smaller animals. In one study, they were shown to be responsible for 12 deaths in a 20 year period due to their biting. Their size- around 25 inches- contributes towards making their bite more dangerous.

Real life incident- In 2005, an Alaskan Malamute named Bolt had to be euthanized after it bit two women in the face.

8. Chihuahua

The smallest of all known dog breeds and right up there with the most vicious of them. These dogs generally grow up to only about ten to twelve inches but seem to try very hard to compensate for their small size by being extremely aggressive. They are, in fact, not recommended for households with small children because of how easily they are easily provoked. A 2009 study by The Coalition for Living Safely With Dogs and the Colorado Veterinary Medical Association data shows that Chihuahuas are most likely to bite their vets, more so than any other breed. The shape of a Chihuahua’s teeth- fine and sharp- much like a cat’s ensure greater penetration, making the dog’s bite more painful.

Real life incident(s)- A man in Utah almost lost a finger when his neighbour’s Chihuahua bit him on his middle finger. In another incident, a teacup Chihuahua named Molly was designated as officially dangerous after she bit a mailman.

7. Chow Chow

These dogs are originally from China, where they were used to guard houses, work, and as a source of fur. Their teddy bear-like appearance hides beneath it some primitive characteristics. Chow Chows are naturally unpredictable and often aggressive. In between 1979 and 1998, Chow Chows were responsible for eight human fatalities. They are especially aggressive towards strangers, and extremely protective of their owners. Their high rate of attacking owners and other animals is often a result of poor socialization in puppy-hood and incapable owners. Some insurance companies even consider them high-risk pets to own.

6. Great Dane

As the name suggests, these dogs are great. They’re h.u.g.e. Great Danes hold the world record for being the tallest dogs, the biggest one measuring a shocking 44 inches from paw to head. The sheer size of these dogs makes their bite more hazardous. Thankfully, these dogs are not very aggressive and are often referred to as ‘gentle giants.’ They are still, however, ranked ninth on the CDC list of dangerous dogs, and account for nine fatalities in a time period of less than twenty years.

Real life incident- in a freak incident, a Great Dane bit a seventeen month old baby at a pet store in Wisconsin. In another rare show of aggression, a Great Dane grabbed a six month old baby girl from her mother’s arms and dropped her onto the street in 2010

5. Wolf Hybrids or Wolfdogs

Since these dogs are hybrids of wolves and dogs, they inherit certain primitive, aggressive characteristics of their wolf ancestors. With fifteen fatalities in two decades attributed to them, wolfdogs are rated fifth in the list of most dangerous dogs according to CDC. Wolfdogs are also ‘teethy’ while playing with their owners, which means that they often end up biting people unintentionally. Mother dogs bite puppies in order to modify their behaviour. What makes wolfdogs bites even more dangerous is the fact that there is no approved rabies vaccine for wolves, so even a vaccinated wolfdog may transmit rabies if it bites you.

Real life incident- In a tragic incident in March this year, a wolfdog named Sassy bit off her eleven year old owner’s pinky finger and swallowed it up whole. Sassy was killed later in order to recover the finger.

4. Cocker Spaniels

A surprise entry on this list. Cocker Spaniels are fun-loving, playful and good natured pets. They’re one of the most popular dog breeds to keep as pets. However, these little dogs are also notorious for biting people a lot. A study by Cambridge University brought up surprising results- solid coloured cocker spaniels were likely to be more aggressive. English Cocker Spaniels also have a higher tendency towards owner and stranger directed aggression. In Palm Beach County in 1992, this breed accounted for 59 bites out of the 2,234 reported. Children were the likeliest target of these dogs, with 40% of the victims being under ten years of age.

Real life incident- a cocker spaniel in Wharton bit a 52 year old woman on the leg. She suffered from puncture wounds and had to be hospitalized.

3. German Shepherd

The German Shepherd is a large sized breed of dog that originated in (obviously) Germany. With 17 fatalities attributed to them, they are definitely a dangerous breed to have around. In fact, one source suggests that German Shepherds are responsible for more dog bites in the USA than any other breed. They are notorious for biting smaller dogs. The bite of a German Shepherd is the second strongest amongst dogs, right after a Rottweiler’s. It has a force of approximately 238 pounds force. Incorrect socializing of this breed from the very beginning can result in aggressive behaviour later on which consequently manifests itself in problems of biting others.

Real life incident- Cracker, a German Shepherd in Appleton, was deemed dangerous after it bit a mailman twice over a period of seven months. Cracker also bit and attacked a neighbour’s pet Chihuahua.

2. Rottweiler

Rottweilers are extremely powerful dogs. In the CDC study, they were proven to be responsible for an astounding number of 39 fatalities. In 2011, four deaths were reported to have been caused by this breed. Rottweilers are banned in Poland, Romania and Ireland, among other countries. The aggression they display often stems from their natural guarding instincts or is territorial aggression. Shocking statistics reveal that Rottweilers killed about one citizen every 87 days in the USA. The bite force of this breed is also significantly higher than most others at 328 pounds of force. In just four years (79-82) there were 24,195 reported cases of Rottweiler bites.

Real life incident- in 2010, Lesley Banks died due to septicaemia after her Rottweiler bit her. This was the same dog who had once saved Lesley from a fire in 2009

1. Pit Bull

Pit Bulls have truly earned their reputation for the most aggressive breed of dogs, as well as their number one spot on this list. The CDC research attributes 66 deaths to Pit Bull bites and attacks. A study shows that 94% of pit bull attacks are unprovoked, a fact that makes this breed all the more dangerous. This breed of dogs is responsible for one third of all dog bites in the USA. Pit Bulls are vicious and naturally aggressive, and are often bred for illegal dog fighting. They also tend to attack smaller animals and young children. It is because of this that many countries have banned this particular breed.

Real life incident- Pamela Devitt died after being bitten by a Pit Bull 150-200 times in California. The dog’s owner Alex Jackson was charged with murder. Jackson, according to the police, knew his dogs were vicious and had attacked people earlier as well.http://listcrown.com/top-10-dog-breeds-bite/

Notice on the one list where they have a Dasch and Chi both are low on the list.

So the lesson for the ignorant is this. Aggression is not based on breed nor size of the dog.

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Prove it. Any dog can be said to not bite until it does bite but if you knew anything about dogs which I doubt you do, you would know that when a dog is flooded in socialization any chances for aggression would be known very quickly and very early. Dogs no matter the size are not 'mad' where they are sweet one minute and biting the next without cause or signs. Its a myth like all Pit Bulls are evil aggressive animals that "lock" their jaws.

A good test for aggression would be if you can take food out of your dogs mouth but there are several different kinds of dog aggression ranging from territorial, pain-elicited, fear aggression, sex related, predatory aggression, possessive, protective etc.

The moment you take one group of dogs and state that size contributes then you are on the wrong track. Fraggle speaks of large dogs having to be polite which I'm guessing he means that those dogs are trained but that means a dog is more likely to bite if they are untrained and unsocialized which is the fault of the owner and not the dog. An owner who doesn't train a small dog is just as likely not to train a large one.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Prove what?
    I said "Until they do" because what you are saying is exactly what the majority of dog owners say. One of the dogs that bit me was supposedly harmless as well. And then it bit me.

Well, yeah...

And when they are not? And how would I know that a dog was 'flooded in socialization' as you say?

I never said anything about this.
    However, since you say that they are not mad when displaying such behaviour, are you saying that it is normal behaviour?

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Prove this "It isn't a myth. Small dogs get a bite in more often than large dogs." I just placed three lists that contradicts your statement. The truth is any dog can bite if given a reason. Socialization and training is what ensures a dog doesn't bite unless its a defensive bite.

When a dog is not socialized and not trained its more likely to bite but even that isn't a given. Just ask the cops who rescue fighting dogs and they will tell you that when they approach those dogs for rescue they find friendly dogs starved for affection, not aggressive dogs they're unable to approach. Dogs in the wild try and avoid fights whether its between dogs or another species.

You wouldn't necessarily know if a dog is socialized but if you know enough about dogs then you can tell. For example a silent, rigid, watchful dog is more likely to bite aggressively than a barking growling dog, a wagging tail doesn't necessarily mean the dog is sending a friendly sign (there are different kinds of dog wagging). Ask most people and they would say its the barking growling dog that is the most dangerous and they would be wrong. So how do you know if a dog is socialized? Ask the owner. You shouldn't approach nor touch any dog no matter the size without asking permission.

*Enmos its possible for someone to post information without prescribing it to the person they're responding to*

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Wash it then.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'll try later. I don't have much time now.
    For now, just know that I was speaking from personal and secondary experience.

I would imagine that fighting dogs are terrified of people. Throw in a strange dog with it and I don't know what would happen..

I know what to look for but it's not a guarantee. It's true that some dogs are obviously friendly and will never bite without good reason.
    Ask the owner.. err, well. No thanks. The answer is mostly the same. You can't trust the owner, to them their dog is adorable and wouldn't hurt a fly. I know better.

Indeed. I go a little further though. I don't approach nor touch a dog of which I'm not absolutely sure that it's friendly.

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I know lots of owners who would tell you not to touch nor approach their dogs because they are guard dogs who aren't friendly. I also know owners who will tell you that their dogs are fine except with children or small dogs. You claim there is "no guarantee" Enmos but there isn't any guarantee that the guy you sit next to on the tube isn't going to bite you either.

Fighting dogs terrified of people? Yet another myth. Ever heard of Michael Vick? He's the football player who kept Pitts for professional dog fighting. Those dogs were spared and now live with families, one is a certified service dog.

n 2007, a group of dogs were saved from organized torture in NFL player Michael Vick’s backyard. His dog fighting ring was liberated and he was put in jail for his atrocities.

Many people believed that the dogs found at his house weren’t fit to live in homes, because of their killer instincts. That just isn’t true, and the Best Friends Animal Society agrees. They took in 22 dogs, which became known as “Vicktory Dogs.” They were saved from that horrible place… and found loving, amazing homes. Many people thought the dogs were too damaged to find homes. Listed are a few examples of what has happened to these dogs.

1.) Cherry: Cherry used to fight, but now he attends events and helps other abused animals rehabilitate. He was on “Dogtown” and transformed from a tough dog into a lover, friends with everyone he meets.

2.) Georgia: This dog surprised her new mom, Amy, when she brought her into the home. Amy didn’t know just how quickly Georgia would adapt to a loving, domesticated life. Georgia passed away in 2013.

3.) Halle: No one should give up on rescued dogs just because of their past. Halle now lives with two dog brothers and constantly plays with them. She wags her tail, frolics and “play fights” – all without incident. She is truly a lovely dog.

4.) Handsome Dan: When Dan was first rescued, he was very skittish and fearful. Now, he is warm and trusting. He even acts as a perfectly behaved babysitter for his human baby sister, who arrived in 2010.

5.) Oliver: When this dog was brought home, he had no fear. He was so willing to let his new family love him, even though in his original evaluation it was said that he was very fearful of people. Oliver would jump on his mom Erika’s lap and shower her with kisses.

6.) Squeaker: Even though Squeaker was involved in a vicious dog fighting ring, you’d never know it. Now, she lovingly lives with her family and 6 additional dogs, who all get along together.

http://www.viralnova.com/vicks-fighting-dogs/

Of course Pitts are just dangerous when they're not busy doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhXox2z0h8 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0NaxsrRP5g:rolleyes:

"On a daily basis, I encounter a number of dogs and about half will be hostile (some will go downright berserk). Even though, I do consider myself a good person and an animal friend at that"

Its because you're a child of darkness Enmos. The dogs know it and we here have known it for years. Satan always masks himself as a "good person" and "friend" but you can't fool dogs Enmos. They've sussed out your evil spirit and THE POWER OF CHRIST CONDEMNS YOU! THE POWER OF CHRIST CONDEMNS YOU!

Have you considered Gerbils? I here their not too discerning.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I am going to take your word for it, Lucy.
    Perhaps I'll look into that other thing tomorrow (had a bit too much to drink now, sorry). It could just be that I happen to live in a town with some exceptionally lousy dog owners

For the love of all that is unholy.. I should have known better than to post in the Dog thread of all threads

Oh well, I guess you've sniffed me out, Lucy :mufc:

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

19. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I love the empathy animals have for each other beyond there urges, and surivival instincts.

Most humans miss what nature does, lol

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member