Does the internet have a negative influence on society? Are the ''trolls'' to blame?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by game-junkie, Jul 9, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

theorist-constant12345

You opened a topic that's over 2 years old. Many think it's more appropriate to just start a new topic. Most of the newer members are not going to want to read through over 300 posts to get caught up. I haven't been to involved with this forum for awhile but I can say trolls are not much of a problem for the more experienced posters.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

It's not the first time that I get verbally abused on an Internet message board or that someone makes a mean comment towards me and calls me ugly or something and tells me that no girl will want anything to do with me because I'm ugly.

Also on several online communities for people with disabilities, the people there completely ignore me for no reason.

I think that the Internet should only be used for information purposes only and not as a means to befriend other people.

Most of the time I don't talk to people online and that's because the people on Internet message boards or chat boards can be extremely abusive and also you really cannot know who the person you are communicating with really is in person: he can be a criminal, a sadist or even a terrorist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

pluto2:

Why are you posting in a thread that hasn't had a post for 11 months?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I once had a Facebook account, but all those people from my past started friending me. I honestly had no desire to hook up with the past. As far as trolls go, they are simple to ignore, just don't read their replies. Overall, I think it's good to have a link to the larger world. But don't be surprised when it disagrees with your presumptions.