Does religion need God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Why?, Sep 5, 2007.

1. grover Registered Senior Member

Oh, I see, What you're really asking is if Buddhism is a religion? There are some that say it is and there are some that say it isn't. On the side that say it is are those that say that it makes claim that can't be verifed objectively and therefore is a religion. On the side of those that say it isn't a religion are those that say that Buddhism is actually as close as we will ever come to a science of mind and that it makes no claims that a person can't verify for themself. These people often however jettison certain beliefs associated with Buddhism like "reincarnation" and "karma" basically because these beliefs are in contradiction to their preconceived notions about how reality is. So, the choice is really up to you about whether or not there can be religon without God and how you choses to define religion (or God for that matter, because to futher complicate matters it is pointed out that Buddhist conception of Buddha-nature is remarkably similar to certain Christian descriptions of God).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

Um, it depends on the buddhist. Some buddhist believe in monotheist or polytheistic systems. Almost all believe in karma and a cycle of rebirths. Think about it- karma is the idea that what you do affects what happens to you. There is ample evidence that bad things (hurricanes, cancer, birth defects, earth quakes, etc) and good things (winning the lotto, getting a good job, etc) have little to do with your karma and have more to do with luck, hard work, or choices you make. A good example is Donald Trumpt- I doubt he has "good karma" but he is extremely successful do to a mix of hard work, lucrative choices, and luck.

Karma is just another higher power pseudoscientific explaination of the universe- same as god.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

I take it that Buddhism is a religion. However, religion is associated with worship. Yet, what do Buddhists worship? Perhaps religion is broader than worship. But, what is religion then? Is religion beliefs that cannot be objectively verified? I call that non-scientific - not religion. Religion also has to do with behavior. But, religion is not psychology. So, what is religion? That's the question that hasn't been answered.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Religion IS "union", thats it.

8. radicand Registered Senior Member

A religion is a system of beliefs. Naturally we usually associate it with a God or some other superior being. So yes, you can be religious (devotion to a religion) without including God. In fact, the argument can be made that atheism and environmentalism are religions.

Personally, I think God is too much to be confined to a religion. Unfortunately, religion is the worst thing that ever to happen to God (if you want to say it happened to God).

9. Nutter Shake it loose, baby! Registered Senior Member

And, of course, we must not forget about the religion of scientific thought. Sergei L. Golovin writes:

"Scientific thought is the most prevalent current form of religious thought.

Religion is generally defined as a system of fundamental principles and positions held without evidence, that is, by faith.

At the same time, science is the development of and theoretical systematization of objective knowledge about reality in order to describe, explain, and predict processes and phenomena of reality, based on that which is discovered by means of its laws.

Even in this definition of science there are indications of its religious aspects, in particular:

Belief in the objective existence of natural laws.

Belief in the unity of these laws in spatial-temporal continuum, which is seen both through immediate observation as well as through laboratory experiments.

Belief in the rational character of these laws that allows one to comprehend them by similar rational means."

To see the entire essay, go to the following link:

http://www.scienceandapologetics.org/engl/g7.htm

10. Jayhawker Soule Registered Member

Yi-Fu TUAN wrote: "All human beings are religious if religion is broadly defined as the impulse for coherence and meaning." I find that to be an excellent starting point for a definition.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

They work - that's as far as the "belief" goes. They can be used.

Nope - it's a stated assumption that is hoped to hold true.

Again, no. There's much discussion (especially among physicists) as to how "real" these laws are versus our "understanding" of them.

But it's a nice try.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. grover Registered Senior Member

Are you saying these laws might not actually exist outside of our minds?

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Religion is a complex and explicit set of how-to methods for human relationship. If your birthday party meets that criteria then it is a religion... and probably the worlds most unique religion.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

There are no forms of buddhism that I am aware of that assert the existence of one or more deities. If you can provide evidence of some that would be great.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

With the rather big exceptions that it is not a sentient / omnipotent entity that created the universe (nor is Karma worshiped).

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Consider the phrase, "the Church of Baseball".

Religion does not require gods.

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Does a community need a leader?
    Maybe not, but what eventually ensues is chaos.

Jan.

17. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Theology is not a necessary part of religion.

Religion is merely a concept indicating a high degree of devotion to a particular philosophy.
    Theology and metaphysics can be an aspect of religion, but no not have to be. This includes the concepts of agnosticism, atheism, and theism. Any of those can be aspects of a religion, but are not necessarily religions themselves.

For example, Buddhism is a religion, but generally does not involve itself in the deity debate. It doesn't have an official pantheon or even a deity figure, for the most part. Merely a set structure of philosophical ideas which can be followed religiously if one wants to.

Similarly, I consider myself an eclectic Neopagan, although I do not believe in any gods, and in fact think that the traditional concept of deity is irrational. But it does not stop me from defining myself as a follower of that religion, and it does not stop myself from associating with other Neopagan religions which value eclecticism, such as Wicca.

18. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I think you are talking about "organized religion"; which is not the same as religion. Because you can be a religious person, and don´t believe in any "organized religion".
    I mean, religion cannot be organized, that is were it has failed; because when it becomes an organization, somehow they become dogmas for profit, and dogmas are just full of it.

On the other hand, you are right, God does not need religion; but each of us need religion to experience "truth" ("God").

19. Alabaster Registered Member

Jesus Christ didn't come so someone could make a religion out of Him. He came to show the lost the way to God. Religion is a man-made entity. God hates it. He wants to have a relationship with His creation. Jesus came for that purpose--He is the conduit.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If God wants a relationship with his creation why hasn't he ever shown his face to me ? Where is he ? Even talking would probably be sufficient, but I never heard a peep out of him.. :shrug:

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: "Religion" is a system, method, or plan of worship. "Religion" is the process of something that is loved and adored. "Religion" can range from worshipping the organized travel of piss ants to revering the solar center of the universe. The word "Religion" has many meanings, but the ultimate meaning is that we give up ourselves to a higher calling. That calling can be:

God
    Jesus
    Muhammad
    Buddha
    The Sun
    Joseph Smith
    John Wesley
    John Calvin
    Martin Luther
    Pope JPII
    Mother Teresa
    Jimmy Swaggart
    Joel Osteen
    Pat Robertson
    Charles Manson
    Hillary Clinton
    Fidel Castro
    The local crack ho
    Cocaine
    Alcohol
    Food
    Sex
    The list is endless.

22. Reiku Banned Banned

A God must exist. The most difficult part is trying to prove he doesn't.

Reiku :m:

23. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Sure, Jesus was an enlightened Master.