"Does light move", asked Quantum Quack

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by geistkiesel, Mar 28, 2009.

1. raggamax Banned Banned

Nah gravitational lensing could also be due to refraction.

Isn't compton shift=2h/m0c sin^2A/2 where A is the scattering angle

Oooo never heard of this insult before. I would like to say the same to you too.

Keep waiting

Actually buddy I can't really read wiki for more than 5 minutes as I have a really bad CRT monitor. It gives you migraine like headaches if you stare too long at it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

anuraganimax:

Please link me to the peer-reviewed publication in which this amazing discovery has been published. Thanks.

What are you talking about?

Nah. QM has been the main deal in Physics for 100 years now and is showing no signs of going away.

And you're just plain making stuff up. Empty, worthless claims that make you look stupid.

The Compton effect is a good place to start.

Do you believe that photons do not have momentum? If so, show me your derivation of the Compton formula (which has been extensively verified in experiments, by the way).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Refraction by what?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Montec Registered Senior Member

Best guess would be the space-time gradient around said gravitational mass. However, unlike crystals, glass,water, etc., the refraction from the space-time gradient is not frequency dependent.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. raggamax Banned Banned

Refraction by the atmosphere around the celestial body.

9. raggamax Banned Banned

It has been found at the Naval research laboratory. The explanation goes like this - given a magnetic field and an electron if it has the right spin value it can pass through a normally impenetrable potential barrier.
    The Quantum tunneling phenomenon is controlled by a magnetic field not by probabilistic phenomenon.

Either read the context in which conversation is going or don't butt in.

I will say no.

Same to you

That is the point. The compton shift formula is derived by using principles of conservation of momentum. But a photon cannot really have momentum as it always moves with a velocity of c. Thus momentum change can only be dependent on relativistic mass which in turn is invariant. Trying to attribute radiation pressure to photon is useless as to apply a force a change in dp/dt must be present but it can't be.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

anuraganimax, don't you see the hypocrisy in your attempts to knock me for supposedly not providing evdience of my claims yet you now refuse to provide any for yours. I said "I'm still waiting" and you reply "Keep waiting". If I had said that to you you'd be saying "So science can't back up its claims, it's all a big con", so why do you think you're above that? All you have done is say "Science is wrong!" but you can't offer a single bit of evidence for your claim and you have to repeatedly ignore evidence I provide you.

Do you honestly think no one sees through that? That you're complete lack of justification for your claims isn't very obvious?

11. raggamax Banned Banned

You misunderstood as usual. I did not meant that I was going to prove E=pc wrong.....

12. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Oh so you aren't going to prove it's wrong, you're just going to repeatedly claim it and refuse to back up those claims. Or your claims about SR or QM being wrong.

Well that makes a world of difference!

13. raggamax Banned Banned

Nope I never claimed that E=pc was wrong either. What I meant was that photon was a logical fallacy. Your fault you misunderstood.

14. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

Actually, Space time can cause refraction (although the effect is extremely small, and not large enough to account for gravitational lensing which is geodesic motion of light) and the refractive index is frequency dependent. See the series of papers here, the most relevant being number 1).

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

"Bohr had always been reluctant to accept the reality of photons" ~wiki

The Compton effect could be described with out the use of photons and the so called kick could be a dynamic change in the resonance of the electrons mass which gives every indication of momentum delivered.

The Compton effect unfortunately doesn't prove the existance of a photon as a moving object through vacant space. It does how ever prove that an energy transfer has taken place. I can't recall the exact details of the old discussion I had about this effect but needless to say it appeared to continue the ambiguity between reflector [mass] and photon as to the cause of the light effect.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  16. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Oh really? Let's see such a model and its experimental justification.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

hang on a minnie I'll have a chat to me ole mate Niels B and get back to you...

18. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Which means what exactly? If its a model by Bohr it'll be mentioned online somewhere, in which case you can give a reference. If its a model you've come up with, post it. Either way you should be able to back up such a claim.

Simply saying "Oh it could be something else!" doesn't mean it is. Gravity could be invisible fairies pushing things around but me simply saying gravity could be so doesn't make it true. Now if I could provide evidence for the existence of such fairies that's another thing.

Yet again you fail to notice your hypocrisy. You complain there's no evidence for the photon then make your own supposition and refuse to back it up. Is there some reason you fail to see such clear self contradiction?

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

so there is no evidence of a photon. And the Compton effect doesn't cut it either.

as to what is actually happening well...hey...uhm...what ever....

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

really?!!!
    fairies?
    I gotta see that!

21. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

How did you reach that conclusion from what I said? I listed a number of phenomena which provide evidence for the photon and its properties to anuraganimax and all he could say was "Gravitational lensing doesn't count". You have not retorted any of them and simply repeating "So there's no evidence?" doesn't magically invalidate those experiments.

And your evidence is.....? Oh yeah, nothing.

Why do you think its not hypocritical for you to complain of a lack of evidence in science when you provide none for your ideas?

Obviously my point is lost on you.

22. raggamax Banned Banned

Thats deduction not observation.

Same goes for you.

23. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

Surely the photoelectric effect proves the existence of a traveling photon?