Does anybody have a shocking piece of medical info?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Cat_with_no_eyes, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

To WillNever

The important thing is where the air bubbles go. Normally, if you inject air bubbles into a vein, they go to the heart and then to the lungs. The lungs are a very good air bubble filtering mechanism. It is only when the air bubbles end up in an artery leaving the heart and going to a vital spot, such as the brain or coronary artery, that death can result.

This sometimes happens with the 'hole in the heart' syndrome. Here, the air bubbles in the heart cross from one side to the other, and bypass the lungs, going straight to the vital areas.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Skeptical, you seem to be a bit confused. There is no giving of an injection into a vein that occurs during *normal* med administration. In fact, injecting directly into a blood vessel is something you want to avoid because of toxicity and inflammation, which is why we aspirate during intramuscular injections. Almost all injections we give are subcutaneous or intramuscular, so that the drug can be absorbed gradually.

Perhaps you are thinking of an intravenous cannula/IV route. That's not an injection. The only people who do what you are describing are drug abusers. And they DO hurt themselves... a LOT.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Will

We are talking of an accident. Injecting air bubbles into a vein is an accident. It can happen, and I was describing the consequences. And yes, it is more likely with drug users.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Shouldn't you have called yourself "Deer with no eyes"?

Riddle.
    What do you call a deer with no eyes?

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Yes. Black people die 10 years earlier than white people.

9. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

I have a relatively rencetly dicovered disorder known as TDD (topographical disorientation disorder) or DTD (developmental topographical disorientation). So for people who have little to no sense of direction or have a hard time recognizing objects as the same when they are facing a different way, there is a name for it now, I guess.

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

a link?
    is that true?

then, what about a 130 years old man, who still walk and sea and hear and read, and living happy

weird that guines record didnt take he's record as the oldest man on earth, he's secret is walking alot and eating healthy

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

ever heard of Cherubism. Has nothing to do with a cherub

12. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Shadow

The oldest person ever to have lived, a woman, reached 122 years. There are always claims of people who have lived longer, but they never have proper documentation to prove it.

Yes, in the United States, black people on average live 10 years less than white people. It has nothing to do with race, though. It is entirely about socio-economic position. It is noteworthy than poor whites also live shorter lives, and tertiary educated blacks live as long as white people.

Here in New Zealand, our polynesian population lives 8 years less than the whites. Again, it is socio-economic position that explains it.

It is virtually a law of sociology that poorer people live shorter lives, start reproducing earlier, and have more children than the wealthy. They also have a much higher rate of children outside wedlock.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so do women live longer than men?

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well , i saw it on the newspaper, and tv, a tunisian old man,celebrating he's 130 or 129 years old birthday

, and he still can walk, and talk, and hear, but not see very good
    http://www.ecpulse.com/en/clusters/2010/09/03/tunisia-old-man/?rid=1
    http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/4528766-oldest-man-in-tunisia-celebrates-129-th-birthday
    and there's a 130 years old woman http://www.neatorama.com/2009/03/25/130-year-old-woman/

15. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

so, it's all related to how they're living and their life situation rather than race or something?
    ok i get it

16. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

idk

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

sorry, skeptical, why do women live longer than men? That isn't socioeconomical

18. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yeah it isnt, but also not all women live longer than men

i think the way that they passed their life, and the way they do it and stuff, affect on that too

19. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

First : 130 year old men or women.
    I can guarantee, that whatever their claims, they have no birth certificate or similar documentation to back it up. The oldest person ever, backed up by proper documentation, was a French woman who made 122 years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

Why, on average, do women live longer?
    It appears to be genetic. Two X chromosomes are better than one.

A second question : Why did the female gender evolve longer life span?
    It appears to be what is called the 'Grandmother effect'. Anthropologists studying primitive hunter/gatherer societies have found that a living grandmother improves the chances of grandchildren surviving long enough to reproduce. Hence, long life for women - enough to be able to care for grandchildren - was selected for in evolution, causing the appropriate genetic changes.

A third question remains unanswered : Why do men live as long as they do?
    There is no apparent selective advantage in having a living grandfather, according to the studies by anthropologists. So why do men live so long? It may be pure accident. Females evolved long life, and males carried enough longevity genes to benefit.

20. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

21. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

they tend to vent their emotional buildups more regularly[crying], and their emotional capacity is larger to begin with... that elongates one's organs' lifespan..but that's me an engineer speaking out my ass

[though i read it in more than one article

]

-------------
    shocking medical info?
    some study showed that blood cells after coventional CPR look very like blood cells suffering from cancer, due to the rapid and sudden injection of oxygen, and so CPR is supposed to be harmful[?]

i've been trying to verify that ever since i read that..haven't yet.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So women evolved to be stuck being caregivers all their lives..Yuck...

23. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

VI

Believe it or not, most women actually want to be caregivers. And when a woman gets to be a grandmother, she almost always ends up doting on those grandkids like crazy. You belong to an elite. The 5% who do not want to be mothers.

Actually, even that would change, if you had a kid. Researchers have found that hormone levels in a woman's blood changes dramatically during the course of pregnancy. At birth, there is a massive spike in oxytocin levels - the 'love hormone'. It appears that this causes new mothers to bond strongly and very emotionally with their new born baby.

Your comments on an earlier thread, about your own feelings, would imply you are currently more influenced by testosterone (the 'lust hormone') than by oxytocin. Human individuals are all so very different from each other.

scifes

If women's longer life span were purely due to venting off emotion, we would see a big variation from culture to culture, since in some cultures, men are much better at venting emotion than they are in our own. However, the gender lifespan discrepancy is universal, and does not correlate with emotional venting. The explanation I gave is the one most widely accepted by scientists. I can assure you I did not dream it up. I gained that idea from scientific writings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.