Do you talk to GOD?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by sculptor, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Consider: Personally, maybe you don't see, and maybe you aren't convinced according to your personal standard. And that is what it is, James. In and of itself, yeah, sure, whatever.

However, compared to your focus↑ on mental illness, your judgment of what value you see in other behvior is its own separate discussion.

Maybe it's not your reading comprehension, James. Maybe it's just you.

That's a bit melodramatic. Moreover, the underlying pretense of cluelessness, as if we hadn't recently discussed the subject and you didn't know what that something I mentioned referred to, is unbelievable, James. Like I said, if I wonder how precisely we wish to define a scholar. You, to the other, would declare them unwelcome.

Well, James, it's too bad you just couldn't be bothered to pay attention over the years. After all, there was a time when being an Administrator actually meant something; you know, like when you would undermine your staff for mysterious reasons you could never explain, but, sure, we got the message that you would change what we do if you didn't like it. So, what did expect your staff would do, James, while you made excuses for bullshit and lamented the tyranny of rational discourse? Were we supposed to just do whatever the fuck we wanted, because that's not really how it went. So maybe you should have skipped that part.

Anyway, remember that the reason for considering the atheistic purview of site moderation and administration has to do with your suggestion that it is strange that atheists get so much attention; atheism and atheists are not irrelevant to the general tenor of discussion.

No, James, we don't. It's not useful.

Beside the point.

Yes, but the phrase "skeptical, atheistic lean" is utterly meaningless. Consider your two cents on scholarship, above: That skeptical, atheistic lean has absolutely no useful meaning, James. You can't have it both ways. Maybe there's some other context in some range that might exist between blithering solipsism and "an academy … in the business of conducting original research or 'scholarship'". Like I said, how precisely we wish to define a scholar.

James, your threads asking religious people to tell you this or that are you asking for their attention, not them bringing their crusades to us. An atheist making up religions or religious people to wag at is not religious people bringing their crusades to us. Of seventeen threads on the first page of the Religion subforum, dating back to the middle of last year, over two-thirds are skeptical or critical of religion. The three members bringing more religious threads are not necessarily what we might consider average believers, either. Compared to the caricaturizations and criticism, the question of ramming is matter of context, but the evidence does not support the idea that "generally, they bring their crusades to us". It's one thing if, on some level, I get what you're saying, but what you're saying does not necessarily correspond to actual circumstances.

Toward atheistic purview, I guess the question is to wonder what's the point if all you really want is to be just like them.

That's kind of a useless answer, compared to the discussion at hand, but, sure, whatever; we come back to something you already passed over, so never mind.

That trying to make God happy is a futile endeavor.

Maybe; it's all in how you say it.

[3/5]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Now, that's just silly. You complained about theists not behaving how you wanted them to; I asked↑ if you were somehow unware that your expectation was part of the problem, and now you ask why what you expect is relevant.

Right, rightrightrightrightright.

What you said was:

Theists here have always run away from what ought to be simple questions, like "What does your God want?" and "What does your God do in the world?" I have no doubt that will continue. In an effort to present as small a target as possible, the theists here end up standing up for very little.

It's times like this when it seems worth reminding of the occasion when your "one thread"↗ wasn't going how you wanted, so you started a companion thread↗ in order to narrow the answers that theists were permitted. And, no, it wasn't any good performance from a theist, but it was enough to flummox you.

Yes, people will deliver what they deliver, and no guns are being held to heads, and that doesn't change the fact that you were whining about theists not satisfactorily answering your inquisition; they are not behaving as you expect.

You'll just cry about peanuts and all, but, sure, I figure we'll need to do that. So remember, one way of putting it is to wonder if I need to post a photograph of five paragraphs of text in order to compel you to read them contiguously. And, yeah, sure, a little from column A, a little from column B. I can only work with what you show, and like I said a couple years ago↗, it wasn't some mere potshot when, the year before, I suggested that knowing you better—(a point you had raised)—was hard to do, and also that I didn't call you duplicitous and manipulative and petty to the point of self-defeat in order to hurt your feelings. But you have, in fact, behaved this way for a long, long time.

Actually, nothing about that answer fits. In the one case, you were in over your head; in the other, you were so focused on your own needs that you missed an obvious note.

Actually, James, I don't remove very many people, nor even hand out many infractions, because the Administration didn't want me to. It's not at all amazing how often you forget that.

Still, giving people some mysterious benefit of the doubt over the course of years is beyond naïve.

You know, there's a world out there, James.

No, James, that's just you making up random shit, and in doing so providing an example of, well, something.

Well, again: You are complaining that they are not behaving how you want, i.e. expect. That is why the question of what you expect matters. Not holding a gun to anybody's head is your own fallacy, James.

You have the effect of rendering your own words meaningless.

Like, sure, I get you, James; those three paragraphs make a lot of sense ... in a different discussion. As they are, however, it's bullshit. Here: "Again, whether I expect religious people to line up to suffer my (alleged) abuse is largely irrelevant." Well, James, that was what you had just been complaining about, so, then, is that critique of theists irrelevant and meaningless in itself? And for future reference, to what degree does that suggest you just shouldn't be taken seriously?

[4/5]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Why would you complain about them, then, if your expectations are so irrelevant to everything?

Still, though, consider that to the average believer, there is no real incentive to witness unto mockery staked in ignorance; that such otherwise understandable reluctance to subject themselves to pointless hostility for the sake of someone else's gratification might actually be an example of sinful frailty is between them and the God you don't need to worry about.

Again, this is just complete crap, James.

Do you really want me to believe you're that oblivious?

Okay. I believe you. Though the question why you waste your time on these posts at all, since you find your own words meaningless, remains its own mystery.

Here's how it makes no difference: They didn't convert to your preferred beliefs. Sorry it didn't work out.

Here's how it makes a difference: You're just one more affirmation of what they they think is wrong with infidels. Congratulations! You made a difference.

Over the course of years you have been unable to formulate a more useful answer than this? Okay, then. Fine, I believe you.

Really, you should probably make your retorts relevant. I mean, sure, look at that, you complain I'm off topic, but can't cope with it when I discuss the subject matter. It's not really any surprise, of course; it's just something you do.

There is nothing to run circles around; it's irrelevant to what it purports to respond to.

Really? Imagine that.

You must have missed the note.

#StartMakingSense

Basic truism, generally meaningless as presented.

You often seem something of an example.

Some of which you will even support. You know, you wouldn't want to silence political views by expecting them to make sense or be supported by some sort of evidence.

Still, though, if persecution, censorship, &c., might be atheistic, that would not be any sort of useful justification; i.e., we might wonder what's the point if all you really want is to be just like them.

James, you don't seem to know about the religions you criticize, so yeah, sure, whatever.

You still can't find your way out of that box, can you?

[5/5]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Two lengthy post, count them TWO lengthy post

Me thunks Tiassa over thunks waaaaay to much, waaaaay waaaaay to much (an excuse to ramble in the hope of finding sometimes meaningful)

There MIGHT be something meaningful in said TWO lengthy post but my 3 neurone brain gets bored about half way through the first lengthy post and skips over the remaining 1½ post

Something meaningful in the 1½ I skipped? to bad I missed it

Unsolicited message, cut the verbiage

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edited

I mis spoke there are FOUR lengthy post

My excuse - have not had morning coffee yet

candy likes this.
  8. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Make that 5 lengthy posts...

But you know, in and of itself, yeah, sure, whatever.

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

5? Obviously need coffee more than I thought

Rowen Atkinson sums up Tiassa's verbiage better

Follow Rowen, make it snappy

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    sculptor likes this.
  10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I have a Holy Fire pedal. Just above the foot switch are three knobs with the word "GOD" underneath them.

Gain. Overdrive. Distortion.

That's my religion.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And bless your heart for holding so true to yourself.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Do or do not. There is no try.

Using the term 'religion' has wide spread explanations, just ask any theist and they'll stretch the definition to infinite realms. So, its fine using it to describe something to believe, not something one simply wants to believe.

I do hold myself true to it, thank you for pointing that out, T.

Unleashing the Holy Fire pedal on a crowd of people is one of the most fantastic experiences I've ever had. And, I get to experience it often. There's really nothing quite like it, searing through a solo with the GOD pedal cranked while people dance and cheer you on. It never gets old or tiring.

Not sure what goes through the minds of those who throw their arms up in the air, eyes closed screaming 'Hallelujah, Sweet Jesus!' but if it's anything like what the Holy Fire provides for me, then that's as close to a religion as I can muster.

At the very least, what I have to believe is something real.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Back in '78, when Tommy Shaw sang to Hannah ....

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think everyone is getting off-track. Maybe there should be a staff meeting, invite the general council, draw up a mission statement, consider the goals for the year and let get back to "talking to God".

foghorn likes this.
  15. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And, don't forget to read that mountain of religious books old and new, without which a god cannot be understood.

Seattle likes this.
  16. mathman Valued Senior Member

Religious books were written by people, who believed. Maybe they were wrong.

17. snakey Registered Senior Member

I do. God knows all things: He is the wisest. He even knows death: when He died He was dead forever. God blesses us each with all things and we may choose to know life, death, or foreverness.

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Believed without a skerrick of evidence

Such a belief form almost guaranteed to be incorrect

Considering the numerous changes / corrections made in the writings certainly shown to be frequently wrong

19. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I forget how old I was at the time, could have been grade three, hence, my brother grade six.. Me and my brother ask our dad for money for the donation tray - we went to a catholic school. My dad thought it was odd. Me and my brother went to church, we got so bored we ended up leaving and spent the money on candies.

Never went to church of my own volition again.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

On monkeys and Hamlet.

21. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, you have a lot in common with those monkeys, volumes of posts and making no sense in the bulk of them.
    You would have thought having good grammar and vocabulary would give you the drop on those monkeys, but,
    there you are struggling to communicate.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please recall I am well advised to regard your words as not taking things too seriously around here. Nonetheless: If you get close to having a useful point↑, would you actually know it?

It's a weird rhetorical condition in which you're not necessarily wrong, but don't actually care about the context in which you are correct.

23. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Given that^ was your reply to my '' … but, there you are struggling to communicate.''
    Ok, I take it you have read something in a book that proves gods or a god exists, but you can't communicate it.
    Or, you haven't found anything in a book that proves gods or a god exists, but again, you can't communicate it. That's addressed to you Tiassa and not a general question to others here.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022