Do you recognize the paradoxes in the description of your God?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Capracus Valued Senior Member

As this video aptly demonstrates, the lesser characters were just unwitting actors of the divine play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUrsUORF4Y

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Atheists always studiously avoid the finer points of omniscience. Omniscience is maximal knowable knowledge, which quantum physics and free will both limit. Just like anything in science, the larger the sample the greater the predictive power, while individual results may still be unpredictable.

And again with this nonsense about "faux sacrifice of an implied immortal being". You do get that every martyr died that same death, right? If everyone has an immortal soul, than all deaths are as "faux" as you criticize the crucifixion to be.

Free will trumps sinless, as God obviously did not seek to create robots. That man can choose to live without sin makes it all the more significant.

Cite a reference for this bare assertion. You know, biblical not YouTube.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Capracus Valued Senior Member

And you’re ignoring the presumed full nature of God, whose omnipotence and omniscience would not be bound by our relatively limited understanding of physical law.

Nonsense? If death is the pathway to paradise, then how is it a sacrifice? By this logic the goal of all Christians should be martyrdom, and the quicker the better.

As if the fantasy of antiquity is somehow more reasonable.

8. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you missed the part about free will. You know, the ostensible reason for creation. It has also been addressed, ages ago by many theologians, how it is inconsistent to assume a god could accomplish the logically impossible.

Some people, perhaps not you, have emotional attachments and goals in this life that would be a sacrifice to give up.

9. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Read the last super and look up the word sop and the rest should follow for a bright guy like you.

"which quantum physics and free will both limit."

Oh my, God who can create from nothing has to follow laws that say God cannot create from nothing.

One oops for you on this.

God cannot have free will if he has to go by his own script. page 57646758747 is due and he has to do what it says ti line things up for the next.

Regards
    DL

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

It is true, the Gods contain contradiction and paradoxes. But then, don't we as well?

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I don't know.

Show a few examples.

Regards
    DL

12. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Naive nonsense. Such a god would have created the laws of logic, physics, etc. and would have to be shortsighted or fallible to then countermand its own creation. And again, omniscience is maximal knowledge not perfect prediction.

13. Capracus Valued Senior Member

The quality of prediction is a function of the degree of knowledge. In the case of an omniscient being knowledge is assumed to be complete, yielding perfection in prediction. Coupled with omnipotence and omnipresence, all outcomes are not only completely knowable, but completely determinable.

That laws of physics and logic exist does not imply that they are sufficiently known and applied, making any valid determinations regarding the ultimate nature of creation or its imagined creators a matter of that competency. Do you really think that humanity is now or ever has been qualified in this respect? I certainly don't.

14. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Sure. He wrote all the laws of nature and ohysics and then broke them all by creating from nothing.

Makes a lot of dense. Not.

I prefer God's moral laws.

Especially the ones that make him a genocidal son murderer.

Regards
    DL

15. Great Old One Registered Member

What's the problem with God as inhuman, dangerous, evil, capricious, and pernicious to human interest? This is not only 'scripturally supported' (I almost vomit a little in my mouth to type that phrase) by the bible, but if it is indeed the case who thinks human logic can stop it from being true?

I've heard people say an evil God would be too self-absorbed to create. Look in the mirror...who are you? What got created? Don't you like to create things?

The other typical defense of God's character is claiming interchangeability of transcendental properties (evil just doesn't exist, they say...'good', 'truth', 'beauty'...are interchangeable). However, guess what happens when evil is beautiful...oops.

There are a number of different 'spins' you can IMO put on 'Gods motivation' but it tends to equate in my mind to what color beard you think he has when you try to do this.

People scoot this one under the rug. Funny that principle is simultaneously used in support of a premise for a cosmological argument, because they WANT a need for a cause and IMO is is more convenient to say that that is unrelated to you.

16. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I see we will not argue much. We old ones think too close to eye to eye.

Regards
    DL

17. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

You may assume omniscience necessitates prefect prediction, but you have not made any argument that this is necessarily the case.

What are you on about?

Look up Guth's ultimate free lunch.