Do we taste death when we die?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by davewhite04, Oct 4, 2023.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I've witnessed suffering unto death before, and it was traumatic for me to watch, it was my dad.

I'm thinking of a Rick and Morty episode.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Deleted repeated post.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Wow Dave, you sure get 'out and about'. You say you have experienced three of these 'out and about' episodes, can you tell us about the third time you were 'out' ?
    My bold below in second quote.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

The third one was just plain terror. I just came out of my body, floated above about a few inches, then went back in and I got the same sensation as the previous experience I shared. Fear, couldn't talk, move, breath nothing. This seemed to last for about 5 mins, but it could of been much less, just hard to grasp a good sense of time in the situation I was in. I have a experience when I didn't leave my body. But that is another subject, I've only shared it with a handful of people. Saying these things sorts of puts you in the looney category, so I'm giving up caring what people think of me, because the truth can be nuts.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It would be, yes. But you were talking about the trauma of the deceased, not those around their death bed.

9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I'm actually talking about the deceased, but I'll not dive deeper it's a sore episode of my life.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Oh. Sorry. I misinterpreted you.

davewhite04 likes this.
  11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

davewhite04:

Your experience is not uncommon. You might like to google "sleep paralysis". Ordinarily, when you dream, your brain turns off certain movement signals to your limbs etc, so that you don't go sleep walking when you dream you're walking - that sort of thing. But sometimes that system malfunctions.

It is possible to half wake up and find yourself unable to move your arms and legs etc., which can be a scary experience. However, if you try to fully wake up usually the paralysis goes away after a short time.

Since sleep paralysis is something that happens when you dream, if you half wake up the dream you are having can feel very real.

Some people who experience sleep paralysis also report a feeling like the presence of something or someone else in the room with them. They might interpret that feeling as aliens coming into their room and paralysing them. Or they might interpret the feeling as a ghost doing something similar.

The fear tends to go away once you realise that this sort of experience is not that unusual, and that it is explainable as a function (or temporary malfunction) of the brain.

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yes I looked into this but it was fruitless. It wasn't what I experienced, there were no dream like features, I was wide awake.

13. foghorn Valued Senior Member

I have woken up with a dead arm and that's a little scary. I wonder if it's possible to wake up with two dead arms?
    I once was so worried about missing a plane home... I dreamt of rushing up to the closing plane door. What really happened was I rushed out of bed naked into the hall.
    The was an out of clothes experience you could say.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    davewhite04 likes this.
  14. geordief Valued Senior Member

You can dream that you are dreaming and that you wake up.

You can also know you are asleep and try hard to wake without a notion or real ability of how to make yourself wake up.

Dead arms are two a penny (not sure if I have had both at the same time but probably -just leave them behind your head for best effect)

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How many other times have you walked around outside your body when you were wide awake?

16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Just once.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No? Let's review, shall we? We have:
    • lifting out of your body
    • floating a few inches above your body
    • walking though an apartment bodyless
    • seeing dozens of ghostlike figures in the communal landing
    • figures were waving daggers
    • figures were completely unaware of your presence
    • walking back to your body and (somehow) "getting back in".
    • Imagining your "soul" was stuck.
    • being scared but unable to shout for help
    If you ask me, about the only feature that isn't "dream-like" is when you shouted out to God and received no answer. Everything else strikes me as solidly dream-like.

18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Of course it would sound like a dream to you and you're happy to believe that James.

I did get an answer when I shouted out(in my mind) "God", my body slowly started to function again. I jumped out of bed after I healed and made a cup of tea, and thought "How the hell am I going to sleep again?"

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm confident it's not just me who would say this all sounds very much like a dream. Shall we conduct a poll?
    How does your body starting to work again constitute an "answer" from God? How do you reach that conclusion? Couldn't your body just start working again by itself? Is that possible, or does God have to step in to help?

Maybe you think that because your body started working again after you shouted out to God, therefore it must have been God that caused your body to start working again. But that is classic fallacious reasoning. You can look it up. Try googling "post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy".
    Healed? Were you ill?

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

For what purpose?

I was frozen inside an unresponsive body, nothing worked, until I mind shouted God. It was a very stressful situation, very hard to explain it(or emphasize how terrifying it was) is obviously impossible to understand for most people.

You believe that if it helps James, but you aren't me, you never experienced it yet you're speaking with authority based on a few scientific opinions, which I expect from you. I'm not here to debate that experience I just shared it as a personal experience in an appropriate response to something. Forget about it.
    My whole body was for all intents and purposes, dead. Nothing functioned. Eyes, ears, breathing, nose mouth, my whole body was dead for all intents and purposes.

You included two of my experiences when you quoted initially.

When I floated above my body a few inches, and when I left my body to walk to the communal landing. two separate experiences, but both very similar finale.

21. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I suffer from sleep paralysis and it is quite disturbing.
    One is usually in a dream but it can be lucid, that is you know you are dreaming.
    All the skeletal muscle is effectively paralysed so you cannot breath as one would normally do.
    I have faced the devil in these dreams on a road to hell and he came up to me and touched me and I tried to breathe in but I couldn't.
    Losing my faith helped, I still meet up with him and try and fight him sometimes.
    Jesus was involved at one point and he was useless, lots of lights and that's about it.
    When I finally read about what was going physiologically all the stress went.
    It happens, it's just SP, twitch my toes gets that brain working, it will pass and I will wake up from a jump.

22. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Thanks for sharing.

I didn't "wake up", I was awake experiencing my house while this experience was happening.

The problem here is trying to explain a super natural event using natural explanations.

Yours is interesting none the less. Seeing Jesus? The Devil? sounds very disturbing. How losing your faith helped is interesting.

I'm glad you've seemingly overcame it.

EDIT: Actually do you still get it?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It is.
    I once fell sleep lying on my back (in bed) with my arms over my head. I woke up and both my arms were asleep. It was all I could do to lift them, but I couldn't feel them.
    When I got them vertical, I felt that I had accomplished enough; I could let gravity do the rest of the work. So when I let them go they fell like dead weights.
    And I managed to sledge hammer myself right in the junk, my body folding up like a pro wrestler on the mat.