Do the majority of christians know the history of there religion?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by K.FLINT, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Saquist Banned Banned

Also, consider that the Catholic Church provides evident disclosure of it's own contradictionx with the Bible in the volumes of the Catholic Encyclopedia. It offers origins and some confessions of lack of support on the bible.

Roman Catholic Cristianity also has a distrubingly long list of attrocities that many have accused Chrisitianity it's self for commiting. They have been consistently and knowling neglect, opportunistic, immoral and rife with conflict through out thousands of years. They have been a blinding source of darkness not only in relation to bible facts but also to truth as a whole holding back scientific progress not to mention jumping in bed with dictators to ensure the churche's dominance.

Ironic as Hitler would have destroyed the Chruch eventutually.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

That rotten history is known to every informed person. So, who is attempting to deny evolution and stop stem cell research today ? I suggest it's people with the same mindset as the catholics you refer to.

The whole point is that reason and religious faith have always been at odds and will continue to be so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saquist Banned Banned

Oh yeah despite this being a scientific forum ...They have also agreed with scientist on evolution counter to the Bible so they're hypocrisy is thorough.
    Without going into dept the Bible shows a thread of events that do corespond with the occurence of life better than evolution. While the evolution premise is still up in the air the the churches' understanding of evolution and creation are both quite ignorant. They propose to decide for they're partitioners as too how God created the Earth now and before subjected them to unlikely hood that God created the Earth is just six days despite the solid stand of the biblical facts.

(oh and Miles I know you'll respond to that but do not expect a rejoinder)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

their history is actuly quite impresive and scary. in 100 years, euroupe is almost all christian due to the addition of the holiday's that were traditnial to the pagens. from there, it was you are with us or dead. thoose who didn't like it, pop.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

I won't hold my breath waitning for a rejoinder but why not tell others where to find evidence of evolution in the Bible ? I suggest that one can interpret the Bible to mean anything one wants and that goes a long way to explain all th in fighting among Christians . I may be wrong, but I am not aware of a cognate of "evolution" in Ancient Greek. Give me a reference and I shall check it out

How come there was no mention of evolution before Darwin and Huxley? And why was it rejected by ALL Christians at that time ? Were they all misreading the Bible ?

9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Who expects it of you?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

10. Saquist Banned Banned

Scary is right...from being hunted and ostracized suddenly they were accepted and popularized as you said through paganism.

Likely the parents. He should follow what his parents have outlined though but he should also know that there will be a time for him to make the decision on his own awell.

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Adstar Valued Senior Member

If someone is in a religion because some other human being "expects it of them" then that is one of the worst possible reason to be a part of a religion.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

13. Saquist Banned Banned

Yes, Thanks.

It depends if he's an adult...or a child. Children expect to be taught. They've been taught wrong for thousands of years but it's our thirst to exceed that relationship...especially men that seems to define us as human beings...wer're not satisfied with dictation...we want to know why.

14. Myles Registered Senior Member

I am delighted to be able to agree with you for once.The only problem I see is that a child does not think for itself; it tends to go along with what its "elders and betters" tell it. I broke away when I was fifteen but I imagine a lot of people fail to take religion seriously after a certain age so they drop it or judt go through the motions. For others, its a matter of peer group pressure.

15. Myles Registered Senior Member

16. John99 Banned Banned

A holiday has little to do with someone's beliefs. AFAIK many Christians believe in stuff like this and it gets people thinking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Also the 'Shroud of Turin' is pretty compelling, either way for me it does not matter.

To add to that, i had never heard of that miracle until a few days ago and the shroud of turin cannot be replicated. The way i feel about that is if it cannot be done in present times it could be legitimate.

17. Myles Registered Senior Member

The Shroud of Turin was subjected to scientific analysis a few years ago and was shown , if I remember correctly, to be about 800-1,000 years old. So it is a fake.

But religious minds are never bothered by facts. When the results were made known to him. a bishop said he was not at all concerned because he considered the Shroud to be a relic, or something of the kind. It is still on display.

18. John99 Banned Banned

That is not correct, the shroud has never been shown to be fake, and from what i have read about it it is a negative image.

http://www.factsplusfacts.com/shroud-of-turin-negativity.htm

"It is hard to imagine how a faker of relics created a negative image hundreds of years before the discovery of photographic negativity. How did he know that he had it right with no ability to test his work. The negativity is extraordinarily precise and correct. And how did he do so by altering the chemical properties of the carbohydrate coating in which the image resides? But the big question is why?"

I dont think it has ever been reproduced with close to the level of detail and accuracy to call it a reproduction.

The other thing about the 'miracle of the sun' is that kid predicted it and on that very day it happened. She also predicted many other things that can be read about which i cant post because they will be deleted. To be clear i am reading all this stuff off the internet, which is how i learned about them but i try to read a variety of sources and so far i have not seen any that dispute the two thing i mentioned. I would like to see links that do.

From Wikipedia:

As early as July the lady had promised a miracle for the final apparition, on October 13, so that all would believe. What transpired became known as "Miracle of the Sun.

The Miracle of the Sun is an alleged miraculous event that was witnessed by as many as 100,000 people on 13 October 1917 in the Cova da Iria fields near Fátima, Portugal.
    --------------------
    Pretty compelling.

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I would say no, but then is it really necessary? What is striking to me is that most of the seminary school graduates do not know the history of the religion either. I think history while not necessary, does yield a much better understanding and a much better Christian.
    It also appears to me that followers of Islam are equally if not more ignorant of the history of their religion.

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The shroud is only "unexplainable" if you stick your fingers in your ears and hum loundly whenever perfectly reasonable explanations are offered (which many christians are admittedly very good at).

From wikipedia:
    To sum up, a careful analysis that was published in a peer-reviewed journal determined that the shroud image was painted on with common medieval paints.

That alone should be proof that this guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Negative images date back to at least 470 B.C.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

21. Myles Registered Senior Member

Only compelling if you are determined to believe such stuff. I saw a documentary on the Shroud, the material of which was not nearly as old as had been believed. The negative image was also explained. It was all clever stuff but a fake nonetheless. Even the bishop who was involved agreed.

The "miracle" of the sun was no miracle. If you have a knowledge of elementary physics you would realize what the effects on the earth would be if such a thing were to happen. I suggest you read up on mass hallucination for a natural, proven explanation of what was going on. Bear in mind that we often see what we wish to see, particularly if we have been subjected to an emotional build.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

The question is what is the purpose believing in the shrouds authenticity?
    Will it become another worshiped Idol? If so it's best it burned. Chrisitians already worship the cross and the virgin Mary as well as a myriad of "saints" despite instruction against Idol worship.

23. Myles Registered Senior Member

Let them indulge in their superstitious practices just as you do in yours.

I like your bit " despite instruction against Idol worship ". I find it just as foolish that you believe the Bible as you do that Christians indulge in silly practices. You are all one of a piece in the end in that you share a common illusion.To paraphrase Orwell, some illusions are more illusory than others.