Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

No I didn't not. I said the two are not equivalent. I perfectly well acknowledge a sense of self,.. what sentient being can't? You haven't however established any link between self awareness and a soul. Utterly failed. Stop alluding to things, and make some testable statements, lest you start to look dishonest.

Again you are being obtuse. You are saying you don't, or others don't understand, or are unable to judge what is cruel?

There you go convolving two disparate things without even a shred of justification. Listen, animals that use tools must have some sense of self, because they understand they can manipulate their environment. Do they have souls too? Where do souls come from? Where do they go after death? Makes some testable statements, and stop being vague and wantonly obtuse please.

Reported!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Caring for a dog costs money, caring for two dogs costs twice as much. I hope you haven't acquired more dogs than you can afford to take care of. They will have medical bills, just like humans.
    How big is the kennel? Is it a large one with both dogs inside? They need to socialize and should not be separated for half the day. A dog is not happy when he is alone. It causes them mental health problems and is the cause of most bad behavior.

Twelve hours is a long time to be left indoors. Most dogs can't hold their urine for more than ten hours, and I've been told that the world record is thirteen. You will never be able to housebreak your dogs if they are locked indoors for twelve hours every day. They will become accustomed to urinating indoors.

You should not train them to urinate in their kennel. They should have a separate place with a "puppy pad." How would you like it if you were locked in a small space and had to pee on the floor where you sleep? You're so worried about giving them enough calcium and shaving their hair, but you don't seem to care at all about their basic welfare. Your dogs are not going to be happy if you continue to treat them this way, and an unhappy dog makes an unhappy owner.

If you're away from home for twelve hours every day, you shouldn't have a dog. You're a cat person.
    Well duh? When he grows up he will weigh three or four times as much.
    Don't get him in the habit of eating that often, or he will always be begging for food. Feed a large dog twice a day. Small dogs can be fed once a day.
    The average dog does it three times or more.
    They're both fine. As I said, you are worrying about the wrong things. Your dogs are not getting enough human companionship. That's your problem. Forget about the food, it's not a problem.
    I don't think you'll ever find commercial dog food that contains pork. Many experts say that pork is bad for dogs. I have never seen a scientific explanation for this, but pork is expensive so we don't buy it for the dogs. Considering how difficult it must be to buy pork in a Muslim country, I don't see why you should bother. These days most of the commercial dog food brands in the USA contain lamb or chicken. Asgard says that his dogs have had trouble with chicken but I've never heard of it before.

My wife cooks whole chickens in a pressure cooker, that way the bones soften up. Then she runs it all through a food processor, which grinds up the bones with the meat. That way the food has plenty of vitamins and minerals.

Please put more concern and effort into your dogs' emotional health. Their physical health is probably perfect. Your dogs are lonely, they spend too much time confined in a small space so their muscles aren't exercised, and they don't get to go outside to pee often enough.

These are very sad dogs and you need to correct this. They don't need a haircut or extra calcium. They need you! A dog is not a videogame that you can put down and forget about for twelve hours until you feel like playing with it again.

That "short walk" in the morning needs to be a much longer walk. Your dogs deserve far better treatment than this!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Saint, 'fer chrissakes, listen to Fraggle and shape up. If you haven't got time for dogs, don't have them. We have three big dogs. We buy the _best_ food we can get (in bulk, 30kg at a time). We also buy them steak, liver, and chicken. They get at least two one hour walks per day. I work from home, so they can go out whenever they want, and if I have to go into the office, the longest they are left is six hours. Confining them into their kennel (and from the thread I presume you mean a cage) where they end up peeing is CRUEL.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saint Valued Senior Member

My Rotty is happy, I took him out for walk and he will shit on grass, (i clean it up with newspaper),
    he is not lonely, at least at night i will release him 2 times to play.

I keep both puppies in different kennels.
    they are ok, not fighting.

I dont think feeding a puppy once per day is enough, he will starve.

so far i only gives chicken,
    i heard that beef feeding makes its shit very stinking

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Do you mean during the night or in the evening? If you go to bed at midnight so he's locked in his kennel from 12am to 5pm with only a ten-minute walk at 5am, that is animal cruelty. Dogs are social creatures and they need to spend much more time with you.
    Oh no, they are each locked up in isolation for 17 hours out of every 24? That is utterly horrible! These dogs are going to be crazy and uncivilized when they grow up. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Are they at least free during the seven hours that you're home in the evening? Able to socialize with the humans, run around the house and the yard, play and do all the silly things dogs do? Or do you take them out for twenty minutes and then lock them up again like prisoners or like animals in the zoo?

I told you when you originally started these threads that your dog is a member of your family. He is not a piece of furniture, or a houseplant, or an interesting toy you can put away when you feel like doing something else. You just don't seem to understand that. When you bought these dogs you assumed an obligation. You are not fulfilling it.
    So far you have proven that you know absolutely nothing about dogs! So what makes you think you're an expert on their need for food? Once a small dog is three months old it is perfectly reasonable to feed him once a day--for a large dog you need to feed him smaller amounts twice a day or he could get gastric torsion or "stomach twisting."

Canines in the wild don't always get to eat every day, and their metabolism is adapted to that. Some people even recommend feeding a dog only six days a week. We don't do that, but once a day is enough for a small breed.

Weigh your dogs once a week and keep track of their growth. If it is normal, then they are getting enough food. It's hard to put a dog on a scale so just weigh yourself holding the dog and then weigh yourself without him. That will be difficult with the rottweiler when he gets older, but for now you should be strong enough to lift him. We had a 85lb (38kg) Anatolian for many years, and I managed to weigh her a few times.
    The things you "hear" about dogs are complete bullshit. You live in a country where the majority of people think dogs are "unclean" and the cops go around shooting them. Do you really think there's a great body of wisdom about these animals over there? Listen to us Westerners! We have always loved dogs and we know what we're talking about.

So far it seems that your little project about raising dogs is just a way to impress people and show them how cosmopolitan you are. You want to know all about nutrition and show standards, but you don't seem to care about the dogs themselves. You treat them like they're a little project that you can devote time and energy to when you feel like it, but otherwise you just set them aside as if they were inanimate objects.

Dogs are just like people. They have feelings and they need to be treated with love, kindness and respect. You're not doing it.

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

This thread is making me really upset and angry. Saint requests information regarding his rottweiler, and nearly every respondent has offered sound advice--most of which is backed by solid research and extensive personal experience, in many instances. Yet Saint seemingly ignores this advice.

The sad thing is, Saint is just one person--with two dogs--yet research and observation tell me that a considerable number of people behave in a very similar fashion. And a sizable percentage of dogs, perhaps even a majority, are accorded the same--or even worse--neglect as what is being described here.

10. Saint Valued Senior Member

I give my dog enough Food and shelter, they are happy.
    the only things lacking are companionship and freedom for them to go out.
    you should not blame me because city people are too busy with job,
    if I dont do my job i will have no money to buy food for my dogs.
    I will slowly increase the duration taking them outdoors.

BTW, I am thinking of letting go the shihtzu, too burdensome to take care of 2 dogs,
    my neighbor is considering raising a dog for his daughter, mybe he will consider buying shihtzu from me.

Only 1 rottweiler is enough for me.

Can dog drink beer?
    I heard that horse can drink beer or even high alcohol contents spirit.
    If I put a few spoons of beer into his food, is it ok?
    Beer won't kill dog, right?

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Why are you even asking these questions? Do the responses inform your decisions in any way?

And why do you not answer any of the questions directed towards you? I don't frequent forums very often, but my understanding is that some sort of reciprocity is generally expected.

To reiterate a few:

How big are these "kennels" (cages?)?

Why don't you simply train/house-train your dogs so that they needn't be confined to these kennels for such obscenely long durations?

Since you obviously know virtually nothing about dogs, why don't you simply feed them a high-quality dog food--and follow the instructions on the packaging?

Why do you even have dogs in the first place?

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

my yard not tidied up yet,
    i am afraid the dog will mess up things,
    when i tidy it up, and put net on gate so that it can not go out from the gate hole between grills, i will let it free moving inside my yard.
    about food, i give him Pedigree plus own cooked chicken.

13. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

They crop the ears and tail for fighting purposes (incase the dog were to rumble). Your dog does not 'communicate' with his tail, atleast not meaningfully, they tend to wag it when there happy but you can also notice this even with a cropped tail. There are advantages and disadvantages like declawing for instance. It doesent make it evil. I seen plenty of cropped happy dogs, even to reason that they dont need the length that badly. Esp. domestic dogs.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Wrong.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Dogs-Communicate-With-Their-Tails

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.co...se-eye-contact-to-communicate-with-each-other

15. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Have problems communicating with other dogs since there tail movements are difficult to detect? What evidence is that based on, I couldent find any dwy. What are you talking about plus fuck hubpages cite something semi-reliable. A dog is excited or aware or happy and he wags his tail. This is meaningful communication? So when I get an errection talking to a girl..............

also

So your saying a cropped tail will give dogs complications when it comes to communication? Are you a fcking dog whisperer or something?

Are you saying that my dog with its cropped tail does not wag what is left of its tail and that he also cannot communicate effectively with my other dogs? LOL. Are you even a pet owner. Dogs do have a way of communicating but there tail is not a big part of it.

BTW Dobermans are ussually cropped for good reason. There agressive breed. If you dont believe that tails or ears can get in the way search for some dog fights. A pitbull locks his teeth in a dogs ears and his heads damn near coming off.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

420Joey does not 'communicate' with language, at least not meaningfully, he seems to be unfamiliar with proper punctuation, spelling, and syntax.

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Did you look?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_communication
    Take a look at the sources.

So you didn't bother to read the entire post?
    No.

Yes.

Wrong. As shown.

Beside the point.

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

i saw some pictures of rottweilers with tails, the tails are too long, do not look good.

19. Saint Valued Senior Member

My Rottweiler:

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

oh yes, i can see how you'd just wanna chop that shit up. it's hideous looking.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you mean "soon to be someone else's shihtzu, because i'm an irresponsible flake".

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I can't read This thread anymore, "saint"s attitude just makes me want to cry