Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

why? why, why, why, why, why?

what on earth would posses you to do such a thing to an animal?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saint Valued Senior Member

it is not something cruel,
    i saw a video of a rotty with tail, it is long tail, very ugly.
    The appearance of rotty is not suitable to have long tail.
    most dog show shows rotties with tail docked.

the dog just looks nicer without tail.
    the vet knows how to make it painless.
    without tail, the dog's life is not affected.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you are so selfish, and such a fucking whiner!

why don't you go out on a limb and have a heart for once?

you whine about yourself and your life and the world all the time, and here you have a chance to do something kind and what do you do? i don't want to hear your bitching anymore. it's karma motherfucker...deal with it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saint Valued Senior Member

don't blame me, i consulted a Vet and he said it is ok to dock its tails,
    because this has been an acceptable culture in dog community,
    nobody sees it as a cruelty,
    it has its origin why this was done since long time ago.

Of course i can choose not to dock it, on condition the dog will feel pain.
    But my vet said he will put medicine to make the dog feel not painful at all,
    he assures me.
    He showed me his record, he had done this so many times since he first graduated as Vet in 1993.

I think the docking practice was started by westerners, and now you blame me for planning to do that?

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

German shepherd is not docked its tail, why?
    Due to culture again.

Bad culture we must reject,
    if docking tail will cause harm to Rotty, causes him not able to survive, this will be unethical and cruel.

But i see the Rotty has a better life after docking, it looks more Awesome.

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

The parents of my puppy Rotty were docked tail also.
    My uncle said this is what people normally did on them when they are small.
    There is no cruelty,
    The MKA (http://www.dogsmalaysia.my/) allows this.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I recognize that English is not your primary language, but certainly you are not seeing some sort of connection here, are you?

A rottweiler's long tail is ugly (according to you); therefore it is not cruel to dock it--what the fuck?!

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

The tail facilitates communication and coordination, hence it is unethical and cruel to dock it--have you read any of the responses within this thread?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

westerners? really? i should blame westerners? :bugeye:

i asked you why you're doing this and you cited vanity as your reason. you want to cut off this dog's tale to make you look good.

you can see from the response in this thread, it's not working already.

i hardly think your insecurity and self-loathing are your poor dog's fault.

and yes i blame you.

13. Saint Valued Senior Member

I contacted by email with:
    The Malaysian Kennel Association
    8A, Jalan Tun Mohd Fuad 2
    Taman Tun Dr. Ismail
    60000 Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia
    +603 7729 7822, 7729 2027
    +603 7728 2312
    admin@mka.org.my
    www.dogsmalaysia.my
    Office hours (Mon - Fri) 0930 - 1800 / (Sat) 0930 - 1300

======================

The feedback is "majority" of rotties were docked their tails.

My dog has birth cert and microchip, I plan for it to participate dog show in the future.
    Those Rottweiler dogs take part in dog show/competition almost all do not have tail.

I don't do it with intention to hurt dog, but for dog show.
    Is this justifiable?

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What's AKC? Which country is that in?

More enlightened countries are today modifying their kennel club stipulations for breeds to stamp out the unnecessary and somewhat barbaric practice of tail docking.

It wouldn't surprise me if some people gave that as justification for what is, in fact, a purely aesthetic practice. Like Saint, some people at some stage just decided the dogs looked "better" without full tails.

No need even for show puppies. If your local kennel club currently mandates tail-docking for a breed standard, you ought to be lobbying them to move into the 21st century.

In other words, Saint is happy to inflict an unnecessary mutilation on his dog as long as Saint likes the look of the end result. This fits with other ethical stances that Saint has taken on this forum on unrelated matters.

i.e. it's ok to dock tails because it's "traditional" and some people are set in their ways.

It's a barbaric practice that is slowly changing. Eventually, hopefully Malaysia will catch up with modern practice.

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

You can see from most videos in Youtube, Rottweilers are almost all being docked their tails.
    And those videos are from the West,
    I am in the East here, we just follow your country's practice,
    and we get Vet to do it "painlessly".
    So, the word "mutilation" is exaggerating.

Anyway, since the culture here not yet changed, and the American Kennel Club also did not set up any policy that Rottweiler should not be clipped off its tail.
    AKC does not banned this practice and categorise it as Cruelty on animal.

I believe there are Experts, professional VETs, animal pshyciatrists in AKC,
    and also Dog-lovers in AKC, there must be reasons why they do not ban tail docking,
    it is a common practice that does not hurt the dog when done in early month after its birth.

As I said before, why German Sherpherd was not docked tail? It is a cultural practice too, if you dock its tail, your GS can't participate dog show.
    But for Rotty, opposite practise.

There are many dog-lovers out there who sincerely love their Rotties while clipping their tails at the same time, you should not doubt those people are treating their pets cruelly.

16. Saint Valued Senior Member

You can read from here:
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/rottweiler/

Tail--Tail docked short, close to body, leaving one or two tail vertebrae. The set of the tail is more important than length. Properly set, it gives an impression of elongation of topline; carried slightly above horizontal when the dog is excited or moving.

This is Breed Standard from AKC.
    They have thousands of members who did it likewise, and their dogs live happily, some are even Champion Dog of the year.
    So, What's wrong?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  17. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Yes, you can dock the dogs tail. But you should really call it by its real name. Amputation. That is what is done. They Amputate most of the tail.

It is very possible your dog will not feel pain during the Amputation. It will have pain afterwards. Because dogs cannot talk, no one knows for sure how much pain, or how long it lasts but the nerves that run through the tail are the final piece of the spinal cord. It is impossible for me to believe there is no pain.

You may want to ask someone whos had a finger or a toe amputated and ask them about phantom/mystery pain. I know one relative who lost part of a thumb and as the years went by, the phantom pain was less and less.

Personally, I would never own an animal that required amputation as a show condition. There is no condition I can think of that would inspire me to amputate a part of my pet (spaying/neuter excluded).

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

it is not excruciating pain,
    it does not last long,
    It is just a practice within the dog-lover community, universally.

I ask you, we know that human rides on horse, and horse can not talk, do you think horse likes being ridden?
    If horse can talk, maybe he will say "please dont ride on me, it is a weight burden on me, I need more energy to gallop."

As a human, do you like to be ridden on your back?
    So, those who object tail docking on dog, please consider not to ride on horse.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. milkweed Valued Senior Member

You have no idea how long or how severe the tail Amputation pain is. Ask someone whos lost a limb if they have pain afterwards. Its the closest you can get to an honest answer. Dogs Do feel pain, you already know that.

I dont cut the tails off horses either.

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

you ride the horse on its back for its whole life, is more painful than cutting off its fingers or tail.

I can conclude that riding horse is "torturing animal".
    If you don't believe, let me ride on you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Only on my honeymoon.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

How would you like to have your voicebox amputated "saint"? That's what tail docking is, dog use there tails to communicate and you want to remove that to "make them look better" how cruel can you possibly be?

23. Saint Valued Senior Member

i know dog wags its tail,
    but maybe Nature makes it redundent for Rottweiler, therefore it is cut off.