Do Atheists ever doubt their belief?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Captain Kremmen, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

A wise man once said, "there are those for whom it is one's duty to offend." I'm afraid you'll just have to accept insult as a matter of course if you want to post or read in the religion section of a science board. There are many, many religious boards out there with science sections that would quickly ban me the first time I bothered to question their beliefs or attempted to defend scientific discourse. We don't do that here at SF, by the way.

Sure. You can believe whatever you like and I'll defend your right to do so. But what Fraggle was saying with his statement that "they're the wackos here" is that this is a science board and the science-minded are the natives. Those with religious superstitions and "offended" sensibilities are the foreigners. If you want to believe nonsense about my dog and non-existent parrot, that's your business. But the first time you make the public statement that you really, honestly believe my freedom is at their mercy, I get to ridicule you or, at the very least, criticize you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

On the contrary, philosophy is vital to scientific methods (there really are more than one). Its from philosophy (literally, Philosophy 101) that we learn logic and critical thought. In fact, I know many philosophers and, while they have some very different beliefs, not a one is a christian and only a couple have any sort of god belief, which they only entertain on deistic or perhaps pantheistic levels.

To you. That much is clear. But, to the rational and critically thinking world, belief is simply cognitive content held as true. It's why one holds a belief that separates the rational from the irrational.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Such as Fraggle's
    It is interesting how broad the definition of duty can be interpreted.

Perhaps banning might be more honest.

Wow. I didn't think you noticed that.

Again. This sounds like banning would be more honest.

Telling people to fuck off and that they are wackos is not criticism.

But I am just a wacko who should fuck off so what do I know. I have taught critical thinking, but my blind faith must have confused me about some of the principles.

I think the rules should be edited.

I think it should also be made clear that foreigners should expect different treatment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I think you're being unfair to John. As an atheist, I'm a skeptic first and I doubt my beliefs all the time. Indeed, the doubt of my beliefs is the reason I'm an atheist.

I generally believe that people are basically good, but doubt this often.

I generally believe that I'm a good parent, but doubt this on occasion.

I generally believe that I can lose the extra 20 pounds I put on somewhere between age 35-42, but I'm starting to doubt this as well.

These doubts are what helps me keep a realistic perspective and doubt is an important part of science and rational thought.

I think the OP was asking if we, as atheists, ever doubt our general belief that there aren't one or more gods. To date, I've yet to see a reason to entertain such a doubt, but I'm willing and ready to once I see good reason to.

8. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

If you're making that statement in context of the post I left in your complaint/bitch thread in the SF Gov forum, then perhaps you should read both posts again and take note of the time stamps and the promise to read this thread. I hadn't noticed. Now I did. I found no problem with his choice of words since I understood what he meant. I suspect you did as well.

It seems critical to me.

No. You're not a "wacko." You're being deliberately obstinate, taking advantage of Fraggle's metaphor to pretend you've been offended. What you should do is get over it and past yourself. Or just fuck off. You choose.

Good for you. Or, "too bad for you." You decide which you prefer.

You're permitted whatever thoughts you'd like. You're posts are getting off topic, however. This is metadiscussion and not topical discussion. You're previous post here was deleted for that reason by the way. As I promised in your SF Gov thread.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

“ Originally Posted by StrangerInAStrangeLa

“ Originally Posted by John99
    Do Atheists ever doubt their belief?

Of course they do. ”

You are FULL of it & it prevents you from thinking. ”

I think John was being not only unfair but very ignorant & arrogant by saying OF COURSE they do. Even I didn't say no atheist has any doubt tho it wouldn't make any sense since being an atheist is simply lacking a belief.
    I think the title & OP come from the ridiculous belief that atheism is a belief.
    I didn't say I or other atheists don't doubt anything at all.
    IF I ever see good reason to believe gods exist, I'll believe gods exist. There's no doubt involved with that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2008
  10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You bet.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Do theists doubt their beliefs about all the other gods?

12. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I agree with all this. I think if you'll take a second look, I was replying to your post, but my content actually responds, albeit indirectly, to John and the OP. I realized that you and others understood the OP for what it probably was: an attempt at critique on atheist philosophy.

The attempt appears to have failed in its mission to provide any critique that is useful.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Re religionists:
    There are a few groups who come on this site with the main purpose of peddling some belief that they have. Racists, Creationists and Gun Lobbyists are among them. Others have very definite political views, and will quickly turn a discussion about squirrels into one about the situation in Gaza.
    Creationists are probably the most annoying, which is probably what gets you so riled up.

When you say us, I think you mean atheists.
    Most scientists are not atheists.
    This is a report about a survey done in 2005.
    http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/050811_scientists_god.html

Being science minded does not make you an atheist.
    You may have thought a lot about the subject and consider that anyone who is properly science minded ought to become an atheist,
    but that is a different matter.
    Unless the people on this site are a very unusual group of scientists, half of them or more will be theists or agnostic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

It was a sincere suggestion thread, which you may notice a couple of atheists agreed with. You obviously did not agree with the suggestion, but to now categorize as complaint bitch seems hardly moderate.

Nah, that part is just an ad hom generalization. I am sure any literature on criticism or critical thinking will support me on this (said dryly).

Odd to think of it as a metaphor. It's a dead one in any case like nutjob. IOW literal now. I did not take 'fuck off' literally. That part I took colloquially. I can't see how I could possibly take advantage of his intentions let alone his words however artful in my hermaneutics.
    You entered a thread where I responded to Medicine Woman to point out that my 'grow up' was similar to her post. I thought that was good moderation at the time. Oddly though, as far as I can tell, you did not seem to think that she nor here Fraggle Rocker need similar reminders. In fact Fraggle should feel encouraged, that he is doing his duty, with his ad homs

And your response post is here. Strange.

edit: Ah, now I understand which post you took out. In any case I will drop the subject here. You can reply in the SF gov thread if you want and take this one out too, also, if you think it is appropriate.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  15. Roman Banned Banned

More like the evidence is contrary to theism.
    So if you are disinclined to hold superstitions, that would make you...?

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You shouldn't have bowed your head and instead have stared him straight in the face the entire duration of this fiasco.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

rigorous?

comes with a stifling institution I guess

If physics wants to see a miracle it simply has to venture in the general direction of biology ...

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

once again, so atheism is backed by evidence?

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

some

others apply henology to a greater or lesser extent

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  20. Blitz Registered Member

21. John99 Banned Banned

How can someone go through life NOT questioning? I dont understand sooo many here. I dont.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

WHO said they go thru life not questioning???

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Questioning something does not always mean one is doubting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.