Divorce Islam Style

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by kmguru, Aug 9, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

The progress of Islam in 1400 years:

Islamic leaders in Singapore ruled that Muslim men may not divorce their wives by sending text messages over their mobile phones. A court in Dubai had recently found the opposite.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

kmguru, I think to for a Muslim to divorce his wife he must walk around her three times. but I had never heard about text messages. Man, how hard would that be on the wife?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Just curious

Just out of curiosity, what does a wife have to do to divorce her husband over there?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

I have no idea Teri, I posted from a news email I got. I was hoping to get some Islaming women to comment, but you know how it is. They may have to take probably permission to even get in to the internet...I do not know....

8. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Hey teri. I watched an Islamic movie and the woman who wanted to divorce her oppressive husband had to give evidence of him physically abusing her. But he wasn't physically abusing her, just not letting her speak to friends or study, or use the telephone. She was basically house ridden and wanted to get out.

9. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

There is more than one kind of abuse.

Hi Deadwood,
    When I first responded to this thread it was on a lighthearted note (you know, why is it the man who wants a divorce?) but with your reply I think I want to tell you that there are all kinds of abuse, not just physical.

Emotional and psychological abuse is something that cannot be seen by outsiders, but if a husband uses that weapon, he can cause damage that will last a lifetime! The worst of it is, that in the presence of other people he will usually act like a loving husband, and the wife will have to keep up the appearance because of the fear she has for her husband. He will have no need to even lift a hand to her, but he can make the threat quite obvious. You may wonder why the woman just doesn't walk out, but the fact is that the husband usually threatens to track her down and kill her. This may sound over the top to you, but I know someone in that situation and it's not the first time I've seen it.

I know there are always two sides to every story and I'm not saying that all men do that or act that way. 99.9 percent of the men I know are very, very nice. I'm just pointing out that this can be the case in some marriages. It does happen. It can be absolutely devastating to a woman, but there will be no physical signs nor will she know of anywhere to go for help. Fear is a great motivator to keep quiet.

As for the Islamic culture itself, I have very little knowledge of it, but if it is the one I am thinking of, then I am glad that I was born in this country.

Please don't take this reply as some sort of a lecture, it's not meant to offend you in any way, but I just wanted you to be aware that things are not always what they seem in marriages. Men and women have different qualities and they can learn a lot from each other.
    Take care,
    Teri.

10. kmguru Staff Member

What is this? An Australian group meeting?...ha..ha..

OK, I dated a Muslim girl. Very intelligent and linguistic. I was learning Arabic when I had to leave town and she got married to one of her cousin...

From my perspective, though the (Muslim) women want change in the society, then men - ever since the fall of Ottoman empire - went back to the dark ages...

The Muslim women are much more free in India than any other Muslim country in the world.

11. Gabriel-F Registered Member

I was reading through your messages, but I think you don't have enough clue on
    what you are talking about, that is Fiqh (jurisprudence).
    I advise you not to believe all what you see and listen in the medias about
    Islam,
    but rather to build your own ideas, by reading islamic scholars, as well as non
    islamic ones.

Let's just have a look at the link the medias establish between Islam and
    terrorism, and the way they distorted the word 'Jihad',
    which is a spiritual effort on the self.
    As a french muslim, I am astonished how my religion became a target, but
    I know that as soon as one finds time to study this religion, he will find
    a message of peace and his way to freedom, this is personal experience.

On the topic women rights in Islam, particularly the right of divorce, actualy,
    Islam is the sole religion that permits divorce for a women, by her own will.

Furthermore, in your posts, you sugest that the woman are inferior to man in Islam,
    that is absolutely false.

A good paper on that would be:

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/w_islam/divorce.html

Bests regards,
    Gabi

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

13. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Speaking from a male perspective, I really should become muslim so I can divorce any of my 4 wifes at anytime or demand a large sum of money should one of them want to escape my ruling whip....

It is just that I do not like the other rules that apply to males, but marriage is really the male advantage in islam...

14. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

Deadwood:

No. That's a misconception.

Kmguru:

Xev:
    Just one Islamic stereotype? You're slipping. Men beating women isn't just confined to Islam, so not a single non-Muslim woman on the face of this planet has ever been in, nor is currently in a violent relationship where she has been or is being beaten by some drunk white trash lowlife husband/Boyfriend/Partner?

15. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Just one Islamic stereotype? You're slipping. Men beating women isn't just confined to Islam, so not a single non-Muslim woman on the face of this planet has ever been in, nor is currently in a violent relationship where she has been or is being beaten by some drunk white trash lowlife husband/Boyfriend/Partner?

I never saw Xev suggest that only muslim woman get beaten.

:bugeye:

Anyway I think the towel heads need the american disgusting pigs in order to establish a conduct on social behavior such as the inequality of females, and throwing rocks at huge ironed tanks due to their reliability on religious foundation.

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Wraith:
    When did I say it was?

Vortexx:
    Damn. That's a good idea.

17. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

Such patronization of Muslims through the ridiculing of Islam within a western-value system ought to be considered ethno-centric & anti-semitic .

This alone is a reason for this thread to be closed , but the only-when-it-suits fascism here on sci will assure the opposite without a doubt .

Singapore+UAE = 7 million peoples in a 1.3 Billion peoples context if you speak of Islam . Your news is local , irrelevant and has no other intentions than demonization of Islam .

Indeed you dont know , therefor you should not talk . You do talk , and the motives are obvious . You do not seek knowledge , if you would you would ask a Muslim woman , perhaps a Muslim forum is an obvious advice , and approach matters within rspect instead of bullshitting some news about sms-divorce in Singapore that isnt relevant whatsoever .

Why dont you go make a thread on how nice it is u can marry a 12 year old in Alabama or whatever ...

And no for your information , there is no permission needed for an average Muslim woman to go on the internet if there are facilities to arrange such . But why am I telling you this , its not like you seek information or anything .

Wow , so did Fukushi ....... what a coincidence ei ? His/hers demonization motivations are not that far apart from your either .

You didnt date shit man , you just bullshit about it so you can make peoples think you have any knowledge at all about the culture , well you dont .

1) Dark ages is Western history not Eastern . Dont apply your shit to ours please .
    2) After the Ottoman colonisation Arabia got colonized by the West , so yea ....... I would say that was a bad continuation . However surely not in the sense you are babling
    3) I do agree however if you would say that in a very generalized sense , our Muslim sisters have a more open mind and seek alternatives more often than brothers do . But I think this doesnt just go for the Muslim world , but for the West just as easy , if not more .

Except if they get beat up or shot by lunatic Hindu's , sure .....
    keep dreaming

Gabi : As Salam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

I see you havent got over them yet , anyways your links :

http://www.international-divorce.com/islamicfamilylaw/

It speaks of Islamic law in Islamic countries . However there are 50+ of those with varying laws because of varying political systems and varying cultures .

In other words , that link is worthless .

The other feminist project one looks more apealling as it shows accademic research , approaches Islam philosophically , respects the complexity of the Arab language and offers various perspective .

At very least , it has certainly more potentail . Strange for you to link them both , and then the baboon one first , I mean you are aware of the differences no ? Hell , even they might not even be aware .

I think it was a joke , if not . No its not a good idea , its a stupid idea because you are still subject of the same constitutional laws indifferent of religion . But u already knew that , so why make dumb remarks ?

* Do you consider yourself to have sufficient knowledge on Islam to make such a statement ?
    * Are you aware of your bias-perspective of advantage , as this might be very different in Islamic cultures ?

Im sorry but are you trying to say something here ?

No necesary offence but I just dont get it . Also calling the opposite party names doesnt justify patronizing peoples as towel heads .

18. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

Xev
    Do I have to repeat everything a million times to you ? Do you simply forget about it when you enter a new thread ? You know shit on my philosophical views regarding Islam , I dont follow any Judeo-Christian nonsense and as far as suicide goes I would surely advice you to kill yourself , Im sure your mind would allow it in some way if you look hard enough for it . I on the otherhand love life , just not yours .

Everything can be helpfull for something at some point . To gain actual knowledge on that issue however , your link is useless as I already said . The fact that you are not google has little to do with your ability of using google . Obviously you know how since you came up with this bullshit in the first place , dont mixup your lazyness with your capabilities .

The feminist project peoples from your second link .