Discrimination

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by GB-GIL Trans-global, Oct 8, 2002.

1. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

You're almost right. It should be...

*snatches megaphone*
    "I AM AN ATHEIST! HEAR ME ROAR!
    I SPEAK ONLY THOSE HARD TRUTHS THAT MANY DON'T LIKE TO HEAR!... DESPITE MY BEST EFFORTS IGNORANCE STILL SEEMS TO PREVAIL. This is boring... let's get some poon."
    *expression of cynical resignation*

*drops megaphone*
    *picks up sword*

"CRUSADE!"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spookz Banned Banned

i am a godless creature but i appreciate the role religion plays in human society. it is fast outliving its usefulness tho

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

Precisely. Organised religion is out-dated and is, in fact, counter-productive in today's society. We can already see it's death-throes; those who still adhere to it become more and more vocal in their condemnation of heathens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

You know, I was telling this to a co-worker today, that the more people realize there is no likely God, the more they either become secure athiests or turn into radical fundies.

I hope that made any sense, I'm a bit smashed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Rowen Registered Senior Member

I guess...

The world is not ready to accept athiests. If an american politician announced to the country that they did not belive in God they would not be voted in as the next president of the United States even if they were capable. Hell, I would trust an athiest over bush anyday. Actually I would trust almost anyone over bush anyday. Anyone who does not call teorrorism acts of satan is okay in my books.
    In my home town atheism was a major sin, and I know people that were discriminated against for it. Hell, I didnt even declare myself an athiest, and just because I did not go to church and had a small private obsession with witchcraft I was called a witch.
    It was one of those retarded high school iggnorance things though.
    I despise iggnorance.

9. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

Ah, are you from the States, Rowen? Be wary of that Americentric attitude, because your statement 'the world is not ready to accept atheists' is quite untrue, at least where I come from; rather, it should read 'the United States is not read to accept atheists'.

And you're right, if an open atheist tried to run for office in the U.S. they wouldn't stand a chance. In fact, at least one state that I know of (I forget which... maybe Georgia) makes it a LEGAL requirement that anybody running for public office must 'acknowledge the existence of a supreme being'.

But as far as industrialised countries go, the U.S. stands very alone in that regard. Religion isn't a factor in Canadian politics, and in western Europe religion and politics are completely seperate entities. Many popular European politicians are professed atheists and the people don't give a shit about it one way or another.

In this way, the U.S. is very backward. While Europe and Canada are becoming more and more secular the States still wallows in religious fundamentalism that, if anything, is becoming stronger as the rest of the world begins to dislike them more.

10. Rowen Registered Senior Member

Im from Canada

My mistake, I tend to be a little melodramatic sometimes. I take back the world comment, but not Canada. I feel that North America is not open to Atheism. I do not believe, yet, anyway that an open atheist could be very popular with Canadians. Especially with the baby boomer generation. I do agree that Canada is more open than the states, but still it is a tough place out their for anyone going against a very old norm.

Rowen

11. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

Rowen,

You may not believe so, but I know so. I'm from Canada, you see.

Don't think we're EXACTLY like you... about half the people I know are complete atheists, and the other half range from people who believe in some kind of God (but aren't religious) all the way through people who are religious, but completely tolerant of everybody else (atheists included). I only know of a few hard-core Christians, and even those don't care about my atheism. Sure we have our share of fundamentalists, but they're a lunatic fringe rather than a political force to be reckoned with.

I'd be surprised if many of our politicians WEREN'T atheist; either way, it's simply not an issue. He (or she) would only lose a few votes, at most, for being an atheist (if any). I know we don't have any trouble electing gays; our civic mayor is gay. I don't know how many of those there are in the states.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

13. Rowen Registered Senior Member

Clear

I am from Canada. Just in case I was not very clear about that fact.

14. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

Q

Yep, that's the one.

Rowen

Ah I see. Yes it's clear now... what part of Canada are you from?

15. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

16. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I'm from Alberta, where are you 2 from?

Good old Russia. They've used their veto powers more than 2x as much as any other superpower in the UN. And people wonder why the UN does so little, it's because Russia keeps it that way.

OO! 900th post!

17. Rowen Registered Senior Member

Eh

Im from alberta, but you would never know it. "aint" is not in my vocab.

18. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

Putin is not equal to Russia.

<tt>
    IN A.D. 2002, WAR WAS BEGINNING.
    BUSH: WHAT HAPPEN?
    POWELL: SOMEBODY SET UP US THE DIPLOMACY.
    POWELL: WE GET SIGNAL !!!
    BUSH: MAIN SCREEN TURN ON !!!
    ВЛÐ?ДИМИП ПУТИÐ?: HOW ARE YOU AMERICAN !!!
    BUSH: IT YOU !!!
    ВЛÐ?ДИМИП ПУТИÐ?: ALL YOUR UN ARE BELONG TO US.
    BUSH: WHAT YOU SAY !!!
    ВЛÐ?ДИМИП ПУТИÐ?: YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO NOT ATTACK IRAQ !!!
    ВЛÐ?ДИМИП ПУТИÐ?: YOU HAVE NO TIME TO CHANGE RESOLUTION MAKE YOUR TIME.
    ВЛÐ?ДИМИП ПУТИÐ?: HA HA HA.
    BUSH: TAKE OFF EVERY DIPLOMAT AIR PLANE !!!
    BUSH: YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DOING.
    BUSH: TAKE OFF EVERY DIPLOMAT AIR PLANE.
    BUSH: FOR GREAT IRAQ PATROLUEM.
    </tt>

19. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

I'm from Manitoba. I begin to see where the whole 'not ready for atheists' thing comes from; Alberta is about as redneck as you can get in Canada. We may be something of a backwater (we're still better than Saskatchewan!), but (at least in Winnipeg here) atheism is quite normal and very acceptable. In the country, it's somewhat different, but most of those people are very tolerant of others, even if they're fairly devout Christians.

20. You Killed Jesus 14/88 Registered Senior Member

I am from Alberta, and the redneckism is only in the south.

21. ThatJerk Registered Senior Member

Sure there, YKJ... I'll bet you were polishing your shotgun collection while you were typing that.

22. You Killed Jesus 14/88 Registered Senior Member

It was a crossbow, thank you very much!

23. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Atheist says he's been booted from Boy Scouts

SEATTLE - A teenage atheist said he has been kicked out of the
    Boy Scouts for refusing to declare a belief in a higher power.
    Darrell Lambert said he was told of the decision earlier Monday
    by the Chief Seattle Council, the Scouts' regional governing body.
    "Am I bitter? No. Disappointed? Yeah," he said. "We're in the 21st
    century. Our country was founded on religious freedom, and the
    Boy Scouts of America are still discriminating."

Full Story