Did you burn ants?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by S.A.M., Aug 13, 2006.

?

Did you burn ants?

1. Yes I did it once

20.2%
  2. Yes I did it several times

34.0%
  3. No never

50.0%
  4. I'm male

53.2%
  5. I'm female

8.5%
  6. I'd rather not say

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Roman:

I had no idea you were a hermaphrodite with co-existing multiple personalities.

Interesting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

speaking of Drowning insects, try drowning bluebottles or other types of housefly. Once you think they are deceased, place them on some salt... within a few minutes they revive.

Also another cruel one is placing a salt ring around slugs during the night, so when it gets to morning they have two options.... die crawling across the salt or die from the sun drying them out (or of course being eaten by a bird)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This reminds me.
    We used to put salt in our bathroom drains (large rough pieces of natural salt), during monsoons to prevent earthworms who get washed out of their homes from crawling into ours.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't know why we stopped doing that. Seems there are very few earthworms now anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

I turn 21 this sept 14th. I am a little rather a lot crazy. I still enjoy spitting (rather than burning) on ants and cementing them in with dirt sprinkels. It is cement to them. It is cool. But it is evil.

8. makeshift Registered Senior Member

Because unlike you, we're actual humans.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Then that has to be transformed, er.. changed.

10. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

I'd mess with ants by kicking open their nests, and that's about it. Otherwise, I'd usually take earthworms and put them on ant nests, making them burrow in and then watch it try to make it out as ants begin to swarm it.

I rather watch ants feed on other insects than mess with them.

[Renrue]

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

makeshift are you the same person who posted the racist post earlier? Somehow I'm not surprised that you enjoy killing stuff for the fun of it. I hope you grew out of that behavior.

12. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Haven't burned an ant yet. There are much better ways to torture and execute those invading bastards.

13. makeshift Registered Senior Member

TimeTraveler:

Nope. I started that thread "Black people hate me." But I didn't say anything racist in it at all. If you doubt this, read it again more carefully.

Secondly, I don't see how that has anything to do with this.

Third, I was ten. That's what ten year old kids (boys) do. Do you know what a non-sequitur is?

14. Satyr Banned Banned

I remember the most interesting day in my young life was when, one day, I made two adjacent ant colonies fight a war.
    The black ones totally destroyed the smaller red ones.

Is war natural?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I don't know; did they invoke their gods first?

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Ant have known war long before humans have.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ack. Mein Gott! I have something in common with Satyr.

I used to do the same thing. I used to go and dig up ant colonies looking for the queen. That was the best way to get a good war going. Ants would fight without queens present, but when the queens were there... man. They tore each other new assholes.

Used to set up sandboxes with a queen at either end. Shape the terrain with hills and valleys. Set up traps with ant lions and centipedes.

Damned exciting.

(Oops. I just realized that I have invited Satyr to go on about his favorite subject... Please, Satyr. Don't. NOt this time. Let it go, man.)

18. Satyr Banned Banned

Here’s another thing we have in common: { }

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh come now.
    Your wheat shaft is surely bigger around than that.
    If not, then we don't have it in common as mine most assuredly is.

(By the way. Thank you for not taking the 'bait'.)

Anyway. I think you're just jealous that you didn't go the elaborate extremes of ant warfare that I did.
    Yes?

You know.
    Speaking of cruelty to invertebrates.
    I clearly remember the day I saw my first slug. I grew up in a very dry place. No slugs. I went to visit my father for the summer... I forget where. Denver? Washington state? Hmmm. Somewhere wet, I know that.
    With slugs.

I found one and was amazed by it.

My older brother told me to pour salt on it because they liked it.

I was so sad when it shriveled up and died. I never trusted my brother the same afterwards.

Poor little blighter...

Would it count as cruelty to make pill bugs curl up into balls and flick them across the room? You'd think they'd be evolutionarily tuned to like that sort of thing, yes?

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I used to pinch the legs off of crickets before rolling them around in that vitamin powder stuff before feeding them to my pet gecko. But, their legs were always falling off anyway.

Heh.

There was a time I went to go buy a batch of crickets and they were in a baggie, right?
    I put them on the dash of the car on the ride home, not really thinking much about it.

By the time I got home, they were all dead. They just fell out of the bag in a steaming heap.

Poor little things.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I honestly thought this guy was exaggerating when said that its common for guys to burn ants.

Seems like I've uncovered a veritable cornucopia here.

22. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

We consider it payback for all those times those bastards invaded our homes, ate our food, and annoyed us to no end; for all those times they bit us and made us itch; and for all those times they swarmed on and devoured our prehistoric rodentlike ancestors.

23. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

I've always wanted to do an additional experiment (like invert & Satyr said) between black and red ants:
    Get an aquarium, put red ants on one side and black ants on the other side, both sides have a good layer of sand. Put a thin-like wall of sugar cubes in the middle, making sure to glue the cubes together and to the sides of the glass and top of the aquarium. Observe what happens as inevitably one of the little critters breaks through to the other side. Does he just go blindly down into the others' camp and get destroyed? Or does he go back for reinforcements? I wrote a little story about this one time when I was younger, but still have not had the chance to try it out.

I don't really care for insects that much; I burned a few when I was a kid, but the bigger the creature the less desire I had to experiment with them. Unless they were bigger insects, I guess. Insects are always portrayed as the bad guys, you know? Alien, all those cheesy 70's shows with giant ants, etc. Not too many people out there that like to cuddle with the little buggers.