Did Giant Comet Help Hobbits Reach Flores?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by common_sense_seeker, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Wrong. They're not as far north.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The climate was different back than, forests and plant life extended further north, then the ice age hit and their was much devastation, not flash freezing fast devastation more like a winter did not end for a particular region for thousand of years. This is case that mammoth was in the wrong place at the wrong time (or just the right place at just the right time for paleontologist).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

This is contrary to the standard scientific understanding of ice ages. You seem to be guessing for an explanation.

My theory predicts the start of the last ice age due to this giant comet near-miss around 40,000 years ago. I propose that the pull on the Earth's inner core created convection currents within the mantle. This would mean less heat reaches the surface, so causing sea temperatures to drop significantly. It's a totally unique idea, and one which makes a lot of common sense.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

It would have to be a very big comet to do that. This also makes little sense as you also have to prove an significant influence of crustal heating on ocean temperatures as well as prove gravitational distortion effects could possibly disturb heating of the mental. Most of all there is no evidence yet of such a giant comet. Your theory requires too many leaps of faith, it would only make common sense if their was evidence for it, at present you have evidence for a conclusion (frozen mammoth) with no evidence for all the step in between. It violates occam's razor because simpler theories with evidence could be made to fit the conclusion, in short your theory makes common sense... to a schizophrenic!

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Why would Hobbits need a comet to help them reach Flores when they had Gandalf helping them?

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Exactly! or they could have used some giant eagles to begin with that would have simplified a lot, say in that whole odyssey to mordor.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  10. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I have been in contact with a professor who has written a book on comets, who said that giant comets are possible, it's just that it's a taboo subject since Velikovsky's wild claims linking a giant comet event to catastrophies in the bible.

I'm expecting lots of Gandalf jokes incidentally.

11. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I propose that the guano mud flow around 40,000 BP in the great cave of Niah, Borneo is evidence of the long-period tsunami wave which would have been generated by such a crustal uplift event.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The Mammoth froze to death under a collapse of snow during an avalanche?

13. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

There's a lot more than one mammoth involved. It has been shown by experts that the onset of decay would deteriorate the specimens considerably under these suggested conditions.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

And?

What experts?
    If it was well below freezing when it happened, it is certainly feasible.

15. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

If you're interested enough, you can read up on the precise details from Professor Hapgood's book 'The Path Of The Pole'. It's a fascinating account, which I couldn't do justice by summarising here. His conclusion was that the entire Earth's crust was displaced, moving the mammoths from the same latitude as Japan to that of Siberia. Therefore the whole subject has been brushed-under-the-carpet.

A core-centered theory of gravity is the only explanation of the facts in my opinion.

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

And they were snap-frozen like peas? :bugeye:

17. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The experts say they must have been. My theory says that it was by the sudden uplift of the landmass by around 6km into the freezing air temperatures above. The liquifying of the ground by earthquakes would have removed all the air around the mammoths, so enhancing preservation. Analysis showed that the mammoths died of asphyxiation.

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

They would have suffocated if buried under an avalanche as well - plus they would have been sealed in an air-tight tomb.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No.

This is not 'more logical'

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Vellikovsky claimed the Venus was a giant comet, and was responsible for the catastrophies in the bible (subtle difference).

I would go as far as saying that your professor doesn;t know what he's talking about, because his words exclude the possibility of Trans neptunian objects, and KBO's - both of which are an observational reality within mainstream science.

Vellikosky's work was debunked for a host of other reasons.

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Stop telling porkies.

It has not been brushed under the carpet.
    The pole shift hypothesis simply has not garnered enough support, or evidence to be accepted into the mainstream.
    Also, Hapgoods theories were of a slow polar shift - less than 40 degrees over a period of five thousand years, nowhere near fast enough to cause the sort of havoc you're trying to ascribe to his theories.

I should also like to point out that there's some mainstream research that's been done in Svaalbard, that has been accepted in mainstream journals for an abrupt (20 million years) significant (>50 degree) polar shifts.

In short, you've managed to completely misunderstand, and misrepresent Charels Hapgoods work, and the main stream stance on True Polar Wander, and pole shift events.

22. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

No, no. My theory also incorporates pole-shift events if necessary, due to the wobble of the inner core being affected by the gravity of a giant comet near-miss. I know about other pole-reversal events for example. My summary of Charles Hapgood's work that a complete displacement of the crust was responsible for the demise of the mammoths is not outrageous. It was clearly an early hypothesis of his. He also didn't question the ice age assumptions of the time, which I have done.

I'm a great admirer of his work. His book opened up a whole new angle of alternative history. I haven't seen any science documentaries on the subject, which suggests it is in the realm of taboo. The pole shift analysis was just a part of his book.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You're still WRONG

You state that Hapgood claimed that the pole shift was quick enough that it deep froze the woolly mamoths, stomach contents intact, without any sign of decay.

Anyone who's studied Hapgood's work knows that this is clearly wrong, because Hapgood was talking about polar shifts over periods of thousands of years, not hours or days.

Not all scientific theories make it to TV, heck, even mainstream theories don't always make it to the TV.

You're spouting nonsense by claiming that it's taboo, especially when I can (and have) cite peer reviewed literature which discusses similar theories.

Did it occur to you that maybe it's the timing, and possibly the mechanism that's disputed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.