Desk Top or Lap Top: pros and cons

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by duendy, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duendy Registered Senior Member

can you give me your views on this inquiry?:

what are the pros and cons for both desk top comps and laptops...?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think that a laptop would be perfect for you, you can take it to bed or park.
    It costs more than a desktop pc and is harder to upgrade, but if you don't do gaming, you won't need to upgrade it in foreseeable future.
    Also - if something breaks, then it's costs more to repair it on laptop.

Go to some pc shop and ask them to show you a laptop, try it out.

Note that battery time is important, look for those with 4h or more.
    HP laptops are very good.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would like to have a laptop. why ? because i want one thats why
    laptops are good if you are not at home and travel alot
    otherwise get a desktop/tower, preferably tower cause you can sit it on the floor and its footprint isnt very big

i have considered getting a laptop but decided against it because of the things avatar mentioned namely the ability to play games, upgrades, battery time

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Honestly, I think the best bet is to get both. I know it can be a problem financially sometimes, but if you do it correctly it can come out to the same amount of money. Usually what I do is carry a 2-3 generation old laptop with me. I carried my Pentium 3 for a long time. This was no speed demon but I could surf the web, access my servers, use office, even do some development work on the road. It couldn't play games and it definitely wasn't that great at multitasking since it had so little ram. But, it was cheap.

At home I put together a rather cheap, but powerful system. If you aren't worried about space you can often get good parts at decent prices. I have a good AMD base system with 1.5 gigs of ram, a nice NVidia 3D card and THERE I can play games, do complex development work, etc.

I think the important thing is to look at what you want the laptop for. If you want it to work on the go, you don't need much. If you're looking for something to carry with you AND use as a desktop replacement you'll need to spend a bit more.

-AntonK

8. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

Personally, I have both, but my laptop(dell inspiron 1.7 ghz centrino) is my personal computer that I use for school and most web stuff. pretty much everything a normal person would use a computer for, I use my laptop for. By my linux box sits and I play with it, its more of a toy. If I were you, I would buy a laptop becasue it just seems to be easier, not that you necesarily are going to be moving it around, but if you need to it is still easier and efficient, also you dont have to worry about wires comming out of your ears, and its a lot cooler looking. get a wireless USB mouse and about a 14/15 inch display and you will be "Good to Go"(Tbell commercial hand movement)

9. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

I have both. I find myself use less and less on desktop for internet stuff. Most of my tasks can be done on my Tecra M2 in my living room using wireless connection. I can even play games on it, such as Call of Duty 2. The desktop remains for the heavy duty stuff, like playing games at max graphic or converting HD videos to DVD format.

10. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Laptop Pros--
    I have a laptop that I carry everywhere I go, and I find it to be the most useful piece of equipment I've ever owned. It is akin to a swiss army knife.
    It plays/stores music, plays movies, burns CDs/DVDs, office tasks, programming, graphics/art, etc- you name it--- whatever you choose to install.
    You will also have perpetual access to free internet pretty much everywhere you go (you'll discover the vast world of unsecured wifi, hotspots, and wardriving). Example-You will potentially be able to post to sciforums from your favorite bar (I actually do this myself LOL---tip: find a table next to a power outlet).
    The features/internet access aren't the biggest pro IMO. The biggest pro is that it is a permanent cure for boredom. If the conversations or company you keep aren't very entertaining, you can always pull out the laptop, and become absorbed into it.
    --------------------------
    Laptop Cons--
    Laptops are usually expensive, and upgrades are limited. Many of the manufacturers make them from proprietary parts, and you are stuck having to buy from them. The manufacturers are not guaranteed to make compatible upgarde parts for your laptop for very long.
    Your best bet in buying a laptop is to buy the top of the line non-upgrade hardware (lcd screen, cpu, video processor) with the bottom of the line parts that can be upgraded later on (like the hard drive, and ram).
    You also have to make sure nothing happens to the laptop (damaged or stolen).

-----------------------
    Home PC pros--
    Cheaper than a laptop, and you get alot more bang for your buck. You have less constraints on upgrading (and generally no issues with proprietary parts).
    -----------------------
    Home Pc cons
    You are limited to computing from your home/office

11. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

i advise building a PC inside a briefcase and then you have a laptop and desktop together. The part of a PC that weighs a lot is the case. So don't buy one, have the components lose!

a PC can be made in any type of chasis. I have seen one is a guitar.

Be Imaginative

12. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I would never buy anything but a laptop. Who the heck would want all that extra bulk?

14. Laptops are certainly dinkier, glitzier, portable, etc. You get a good one, it'll last you for years - but they're buggers to fix and pricey with it both to purchase, repair and upgrade.

If you like the idea of just snuggling up on the bed doing your do's on the internet then buy one for convenience, ease of use, etc. If it fits with what you want to do, go for one.

Comparatively speaking you get more computer for the same outlay with a PC system but, got to be said, laptops are "nice"...

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

What size screen would you like, duendy? Laptops kind max out on portability at about 15". Sure, you can get 17" screens, but then that becomes luggable, rather than portable. !7" screens on laptops start to get pricey, too. I have an ultra portable laptop with just a 12" screen, that splits in two, leaving the DVD player etc, on the desk. The portable top section weighs very little. An angle to consider.

So, what usage do you envisage? Browsing the web at home? A little travel? Watching DVD's in bed? Tell us how you plan to use your computer, and the advice an be targeted better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.