Dental work and society

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Orleander, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Esotericst:
    Excellent- now don't forget that you brought it up.

I didn't find exactly what I wanted, but thumbing around I'll settle on what Javert says about poor people:

"You know in such classes these disappearances of families often occur. Such people when they are not mud, are dust", Les Miserables, p. 65

Now, Jean Valjean was a convict, a social outcast covered in rags and Cosette a starved waif with sores and thin hair. The Thenardiers were poor little inkeepers as lacking in resources as the first two.

What was the difference? I'll give you a clue: the Thenadiers are a conniving, jealous, spiteful class of villians and all these people are working class.

What's the difference?

And your dangling apostrophe is burning a hole in my eyeball.

Then why do the slums of Suedo look just like Mumbai's?
    Those of Haiti's like those in Slovenia, Thailand, and the South?

Why do poor Appalachian whites live like the poor blacks in cities?

There's a picture floating around somewhere of 50cent wiping his asshole with money, his mouth a coffer of gold-- this man has all the wealth in the world yet his tiny mind is still trapped in the ghetto.

The gold in his mouth could pay off your mortgage but the sound coming out of it echos the grime of his poverty.

What do you suppose the difference is between neighbors living in slums, one whose front door is choking with sewage and trash and the other whose dirt floor you can sleep on?

The ~bourgeoisie~?

Are you telling me Dancing with the Stars is being forced on people named Bubba?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Love. If you haven't gathered that, you need to go back and re-read that book. The mere fact that you want to quote the real villain of the book to support your moral outlook indicates to me that you completely missed the authors intent in writing the work.

Sorry, it was very early when I posted that, and if the best you can do is criticize with issues of writing, when you spell simple words like "villians" and "inkeepers" wrong yourself, then I don't see much point in conversing with you. I thought you were someone worth my time. This is the tactic of someone very juvenile. Oft times, I'll dispense with grammar, capitalization, spelling, and punctuation altogether if the mood strikes me, much the same as Burroughs, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, or Faulkner.
    You are very clever you are. I will concede your point. Without wisdom, all the money in the world means nothing. True enough, it isn't really about money. I don't think you are really understanding me anyhow. I don't care about riches, and the wealthy and the powerful have got the "poor" believing that this is what they want anyhow. Besides, it isn't what any of us should want. Hell, I am beginning to think even you believe that this is what it is all about it. It isn't. What it is about is security and power. It is about freedom, and the ability to control one's own destiny. This is what separates the poor from the wealthy. The wealthy wish to always make sure that the poor are kept down, making sure that they serve them. In order to do this, they must remain ignorant of how things work.

After all, someone must wipe old people's asses in the hospitals, and build the roads in the hot sun all day long, right? And I can tell you this, the people wiping those asses, and building those roads? Chances are, 99.9% that they didn't have braces when they were kids.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Esoteric:
    I don't think so, honey.

Its not everyday that an enlightened hic could presume to tell me I don't understand my Hugo. The entire story is the triumph of nobility.
    Its a story of class, not currency, status or power, genius.

This is the difference between Valjean and the Thenadiers.

That baseness transcends power and wealth, and you can always hear it panting on forums about the system "oppressing" the minorities it loves to defend.

You defend them for the same reason you love animals: they're too stupid to threaten your rank imbecility.

Its also not a story of love- Fantine had love and was slaughtered by poverty.

Spellcheck's a whore.

I keep trying to type out "Esotericist" but Word simply insists on changing it to "Unemployed"

And you dragging around cheeky Orwell 101 isn't?

That's the granola that entry level hippies-- that's 9th thru 10th graders-- munch during recess.

So I'll ask it again, ahem:
    Do you therefore think American Idol, Nascar, and Cool Whip is forced on people named Bubba?

Shakespeare was written for peasants. Now look up the word "groundlings". Who was the 'system' keeping these proles down?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And one of those even calls herself
    I'm still Jenny from the block.

Where does poverty of spirit come from? How can it be overcome?

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Blockhead.

Where is fancy bred...in the heart, or in the head?

(Ever seen Wonka?)

Its a form of plague, methinks. Just like one could trace the Bubonic back to a flea eating the filth off a rat, once can trace poverty back to a child learning to eat filth from its mother.

If that mother would just take a broom and wipe her place clean before sitting, she's planted a seed. Might take a generation, maybe two, but that mother's just planted a turd blossom.

See?

I know one of those strong, solid women-- what blacks call a Big Momma. She tells me when she lived in the projects, her place was the only one that was clean and covered in flowers. She now own two houses and lives comfortably in what Esoterica here calls WHITE POWER.

GRRRRRRRR.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That simple?

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Have you read The Measure of Our Success: A Letter to My Children and Yours?

I think though that it plays a major role for her and the success and meaningfulness of her advice that she is a theist.

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

No.
    I said it would take generations. What's so 'simple' about generational time?

It took years for New Englanders to get angry enough and rebel.
    It took years for abolition to galvanize what's considered to be the first ripples of black Movement.

Point being: go back far enough and find that first person who swept that floor; the first to teach the next generation that men do not live in mud.

Now do you see?

No, its got the word 'children' in the title.

Reading that would be like watching her breastfeeding.
    Pause.

Do you know that I'm actually insulted? Can't help it....

Why?

Pot shot:
    Its a hybrid one part Rick's and two parts a dog's asshole because everyone knows you're not above fucking Marmaduke.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Generational time isn't simple; but sweeping the floor is.

I bought the book a while back because I had a phase where I was impressed with the "black spirit" and wanted to see what a solid black woman would give as instruction to (her) children.
    To try to make up for my own lack of being parented.

But does that get the floor swept?

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Signal:
    No, it gets Thuperthring laughing his distended rectum off.

You do realize Super and I have this back and forth bullshit, right?
    *cough* *wheeze* slumming *wheeze* *cough*

Allright, then your answer is "yes".

As I said, I grew up poor. It was that garland of pride my folks decked everything with-- from keeping a house clean to teaching a little girl how an engine works-- that I learned responsibility and self-respect.

This is what's meant by 'sweeping the floor'.

I notice you're trying to goad me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Like I said:

Esotericist, who loves savages, believes that sloth and irresponsibility are traits actually forced on people.

Esotericist, who's romanticized poverty the same way Rousseau did with his breast milk, sees in the chaos of poverty a charming people only expressing their feelings and the 'authenticity' rich people don't have.

Isn't that so?

Why hasn't he come back to answer me, she wondered. And what is that mellow crunch in the dark? Could it be the little hippie chewing granola?

15. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

The path of least resistance isn't carved; its simply an opening for things to spill out and requires no effort.

That's why millions-- like the poor--take it.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Duh.

No, but I do envy you.

I wish I was taught to sweep the floor when I was little. Learning it as an adult is ... difficult.
    Fuck Anglican reserve.

17. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Eeeek.

Don't ever say that-- that Anglican reserve is the silk in the polyester.
    Why 'fuck' it?

I don't think so.
    It's 2 in the morning, and where are you?
    On a forum.

Care to know where the poor, filthy nobodies are right now? Stealing quarters for crack.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think this is simplistic.

To take a path - as opposed to just trying to be as passive as possible and letting life happen to oneself - requires knowledge, requires faith, requires reasons to believe that doing such and such will lead to beneficial results.

But if the beneficial results pertain only to having a comfier bed and tastier food, it's soon evident that these things aren't really worth the effort that is needed to obtain and keep them.

The people are hungry for The Word - this is why they forgo washing themselves and instead sit in front of the tv, hoping to hear The Word.
    The Word: The Solution, The Truth, The Meaning of Life.

In this regard, the government and society at large have indeed failed: It is their role to provide access to The Word for everyone, but they are not providing it. Probaly, they themselves don't know what it is. Although they do claim to know it.

Leaving it all up to the individual is state-induced solipsism.

19. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

This is optimistic.

Acquisition is an active posture whereas following that which provides no opposition at all isn't even negation.

I maintain that poverty in this sense-- which is irrespective of money or power like that genius up there keeps saying-- is a vacuum of nothingness where even something as basic as hunger no longer exists.

It stares into the abyss with the same empty eyes that stare back-- in other words, that craving for knowledge you speak of, for something as basic as understanding its relevance to the universe, is either destroyed or was never created.

That death transcends gender, society, nation, and wealth.

This is why I asked the little puke up there why it was slums everywhere look exactly the same.

He's never answered me.

And for the Somali who doesn't have one?

He won't even shoo the flies off his face.
    You can't blame that on television.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat — Today in ridiculous

Mod Hat — Today in ridiculous ....

You do realize, Gendanken, do you not, that the only reason we are presently tolerating your latest tantrum is that the young'n's need some practice in dealing with chuds?

Look, personally I enjoy—in some perverse way—the chaos and blockheaded, clodhopping melodrama you bring to this community. But you're way beyond the pale. You're not even trying.

So give a pretense of intelligence the old college try, eh?

I would hate to think this is your last stand at Sciforums.

Jah dig?

21. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Tessie:
    Your little green interlude is relevant how exactly?

Other than it's direct proportion to a skinny liberal's disdain for what I've said about the poor you love breastfeeding and indirect need to showcase superb faggotry?

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That death comes much later.

Compare:
    When people first begin to smoke or drink coffee they have to overcome considerable internal resistance.
    Cigarettes and coffee just don't taste good to someone who is not used to them.
    When people first begin with them, they have to oppose their natural instinct to expell that which chokes or is bitter.
    They have to find convicing reasons to continue to act against their instincts. It is an act of will. Often, these reasons have to do with "I need to fit in, I need to be accepted by others (who also happen to smoke)."
    (See here for a more complete description.)

I think the apathy of the poor is similar to the willingess of smokers to tolerate something that is actually disgusting to them.

Poor people - of all kinds of poverty - struggle. They face a lot of opposition, internal and external.

They live in constant anxiety which they try to medicate somehow.

The most common ways for people in general to deal with anxiety are to avoid situations where it occurs, or to numb oneself so that one doesn't feel it.

Especially some of the numbing practices have become socially accepted - alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, watching soap operas, thought-terminating verbal cliches ("Nobody's perfect," "Have a nice day").

I think those who end up poor - either in the street, or the burnt-out businessman - have poor anxiety-management skills.

He hopes for it to fall from the sky, or from the person passing by.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Because it's not enough.

That's optimistic!

I know what I'm talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.