Define true Intelligence

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Captain_Crunch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Just give them another 20 years...for Japanese it took 30 years. The Chinese have already used up 15, so another 20 would work - it is a bigger (mucho big) country.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. crwk Registered Member

anyone can learn things. Knowledge does not define intelligence, obviously. I believe that 2 things define intelligence on a simplistic level, Application of Knowledge and ease of knowledge intake.
    I.e. Being able to memorize e=mc2 doesnt mean much, but being able to use it, to apply it means something more......

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rainsmith Registered Member

Intelligence is that which is capable of sustaing itself in its environment

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Philosopher Wannabe Philosopher Registered Senior Member

Intelligence is only the abilitiy to take what you already know, and apply it to other things. Thats all it is. If you cannot make a connection such as getting food at a certain location like simple animals can, then you lack intelligence. Thats all, but the question is not what is intelligence, but how to categorize different levels of intelligence. There are many levels of meaning to everything. Just another form of common sense, on different levels. The ability to see deeper into things. But at what level are you at? What level can you see at?

S. Dalal, I liked your quote "The people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the people that do." Who said that?

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Interesting task assignment.

Okay, first to be intelligent, you have to be self aware. So, prerequisite: Consciousness

That given: The ability to assimilate input in such a manner that it ensures that reaction to further input will be that which promotes subjective goodness. (note that survival is implicit, along with 'bad' can be good subjectively) The greater the ability to promote the subjective goodness, the greater the intellect.

To put it far more strangely: The more of your subjective experience (past, present and estimated future) you can be aware of at any point in time (the present), the more intelligent you are. In essence - you're smart if you live in a big old bubble of subjective time (compared to the intellects that is).

I guess that enables people to make keen observations. So I guess that means that what I described above is only the potential for free will. One still needs some type of motivation or ability to see into that 'bubble of time' before intellegence is establshed.

Eh, at least that's my stab at it for now.

9. kmguru Staff Member

Roman Civilization:

Were the people as a group intelligent?

Third Reich:

Were they?

10. Aries Registered Member

Your looking at it too narrowly. Yes Shakspeare was a genius of theatre, but what about Rufus who cleans the park and laughs at all dem pretty little berdies, each are "intellengent". Its not the difference between smartness and being a damn moron. Any animal can recognise how to get food or a special adaptation. Just because a bunch of ants protects a plant to get a speacial reward of necter doesnt mean that the plant or the ants are "intellengent" they've merely adapted to better survive. Most animals do take things that they've learned and applied it to other situations. Its not so much what you can do or how big of thoughts you can develop, these are all after affects, its the heitened sence of awarness. The notion that theres more to life than mere survival. Like Pete said, its the recognition of self. Anything can use tools or build structures, can adapt to situations previously un-thought of, can respond to stimuly. But it is this awareness of all that is around us that sepperates us from our fellow beasts. You get what I'm sayin'?

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Of course they were. Both groups.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Then who was not?

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Well, aside from 'malfunctioning' brains, I'd say that there isn't a 'who' who isn't.

14. kmguru Staff Member

Then it is easy:

Define true intelligence = Human creature

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I think some other species are intelligent too.

16. Aries Registered Member

of course everything has some form of intelligence or another, else they couldn't survive.

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

so intelligence is the direct bi-product of a 'survival instinct'?

18. StrangeDays Registered Senior Member

In that case, I'm less intelligent than a rock. (Many of you have known that since the day I joined this board.)

19. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Intelligence is the ability to solve problems.. It’s that simple. The higher the intelligence the faster and better the solution. Human intelligence is geared towards solving human problems but has become so great that we can solve extremely abstract problems. (like going to the moon)

We foster creativity and exploration in our children, two skills needed for good problem solving (intelligence).

Two humans are far more intelligent then one, they can solve a problem faster and more efficiently then one. 6Billion humans are the ultimate intelligence. There are many systems that exist and made by humans that are beyond a single human understanding.

Intelligence is a term to describe a system not a human.

20. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I'd say the ability to remember to enjoy life while you got it is pretty intelligent.

21. Rainsmith Registered Member

Nope, i don't think a rock is at all unintelligent!

Have you any idrea how complex the chemisrty and atomic physics of a rock being a rock can be?

You have more free will than a rock, but i doubt if you or i are as smart!

your rainSmith

22. malkiri Registered Senior Member

What about the genetic programming artificial ant problem? You want an 'ant' that eats as much food as possible. You set up an environment where 'ants' are a simple program based on a few simple instructions (move forward, turn left, is there food in front of me?). In this environment, ants that eat a lot of food tend to reproduce, while ants that don't eat much don't reproduce much. Sure, I set up the environment and started it all running, but it was the simulation that came up with the solution. Is the simulation intelligent?

23. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Yes the system can be considered intelligent. That is not to say that the individual rules (ant behaviors) are intelligent but the system as a complete entity can solve simple problems,and thus is intelligent. This is not to say that it is Artificially intelligence for which the strict definition is to simulate human intelligence.

Genetic problem solving is becoming wide spread in various industries. It is used to calculate the most fuel efficient orbit transfers, create more efficient network configurations and hundreds of other applications.