Death to Apostates (?)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by James R, Aug 2, 2008.

?

Death to apostates?

1. I am Christian or Jewish. Apostates should be killed.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. I am Christian or Jewish. Apostates should not be killed.

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. I am Muslim. Apostates should be killed.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. I am Muslim. Apostates should not be killed.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. I am a member of some other religion. Apostates from my religion should be killed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am a member of some other religion. Apostates should not be killed.

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. I am non-religious. People who become religious should be killed.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. I am non-religious. People who become religious should not be killed.

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  9. No opinion / don't want to vote / other (explained below)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Myles Registered Senior Member

I can have discussions with some people but you are an exception. It's like talking to a brick wall. Stalin's motives were political.

When it was suggested that you read up on Stalin, you replied that it did not matter what you had read. Well, that's your problem. You are arguing from a position of ignorance and seem determined to keep it that way.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Myles,

If not accepting misquotations, and meanings of points I make, whether purposeful or not, makes me like a brick wall in discussion, then so be it.
    Of course Stalin motives were political, he was the government. Tonly Blair and George Bush's motives could only be classed as political, but due to the severity of their decisions, I think its okay to speculate on why they acted in that way, as there were some dubious moments. This also is political, imo.

What makes you think I need to read up on Starlin, especially as we have not actually disagreed on anything?

So are you, in the sense that you do not know whether his atheism was the root cause of his actions. You only assume this. Why? Because of your atheism, maybe.

jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The two issues are separate. He killed millions to oppress minority cultures in the USSR. But he also killed any number of athiests in opposition to him. If you can demonstrate the link between closing places of worship and the Five Year Plans, I would entertain it's investigation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

phlogistician,

Most of the atheists here say flat out that religion is the cause of wars, religion is evil, God is evil, blah, blah, blah....
    She is saying, hey, the people who actually do the most killing have been people who are atheist, people who are not conventionally religious. So if religious rule is the cause of evil due to such actions, what of atheist rule who are responsible for the most killings.
    I believe she is using your own logic, but you cannot see this.
    As such, if such killing is due to being religious, then by the same token, it is due, to being non-religious.
    I believe she is saying, you can't have your cake, and eat it.

I think this is the thought process of the modern atheist. For example, the Palestinian suicide bomber makes a political statement by targeting Israel, and atheists jump straight on the bandwagon of blaming religion for his/her action.
    The trouble is, you want your cake, and eat it, and have become blinded to point where you cannot see this blatent contradiction. Either that, or you couldn't give a toss.
    If it applies to one, then it applies to the other.

Most probably because I have some understanding of what she is saying, and where she is coming from.
    What I have noticed with you, and others, is that you don't really try and understand what we are saying. You have a preset idea, and as far there is concern, you've no need to take anything we say seriously.
    When something is presented which falls outside of the presets, and there is no set argument to deal with that issue, you (plural) go to plan 'b', which entails mockery, then the discussion falls by the wayside.

jan.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Obviously I don't fit in with most, I just think Religion is Horse dung. I'm not going to bother explaining why, it's a waste of time. By all means fertilize the garden.

As for the topic of the thread, (un?)fortunately in a "Civilized society" there is no place for any death penalties, only re-education.

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Myles, don't feel alone. I came to sciforums still believing in a god and that JC existed. Even then I could not communicate with Jan Ardena. He is truly indoctrinated, so any discussion with him is futile. Save your thought-provoking communications for those who at least have half a brain.

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Have you actually read my posts?
    What about them makes you think I have no brain?

jan.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm not so sure he holds the record.
    I have read records that Ghengis Khan's record would make make Stalin blush.

"I am the Flail of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon You." - Genghis Khan

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Published world record. Did Genghis Khan murder more than 20 million people?

I'd have thought there wouldn't even be 20 million people in the region at the time.

Yup, you got it all right. Thats usually what I do, apply their own logic to their arguments. They don't see it at all. Which makes me wonder about their supposed rationality. My favourite is atheists redefining atheism while mocking theists for redefining religious attitudes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Per capita?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You mean as a percentage of total population? Hmm, the world population at the time of Changez was 310,000,000 closest known figures to his life term, assuming he died around 1227, as reported. The population was 2,518,629,000 in 1950, closest to Stalin, who died in 1953.

I don't know the death toll for Changez, do you?

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I have read that Chinese population before Khan was a little over 110 million. After his invasion it was about 57 Million. (that's doesn't include his capaigns against the rest of the world once he conquered China).
    Source: The Story of the Mongols Whom We Call the Tartars= Historia Mongalorum Quo s Nos Tartaros Appellamus: Friar Giovanni Di Plano Carpini's Account of His Embassy to the Court of the Mongol Khan -- written in the 13th century.
    ISBN 0828320179

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is there a census source?

hmm apparently his record is 1,748,000 an hour.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Apparently, yes.
    The Chinese took very detailed census back then... Tax collectors needed it.

He didn't do them all personally.

That's an urban legend based on the population of a city he laid seige to.

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, I'm reading stuff about him on google, apparently there is nothing he did not do.

One source said that he apparently decimated a tenth of the existing world population at the time. I'm wondering is that is even possible. What was the period of his attack on China do you know? I'd like to calculate the kill ratio per hour to see if it even makes sense.

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

His invasion of Central Asia started in 1219 and he died in 1127.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Maraunding mobs killed in the neighborhood of 800,000 people over three months in Rwanda.

It doesn't seem much of a stretch at all for one of thoe most elite, fearsome fighting forces in the history of man, made up of warriors who trained rigorously since childhood, who conquered essentially all of the known world at the time, to have killed over 60 million (by some estimates over 100 million) over a period of 8 years.

22. John99 Banned Banned

Not at all.

Those poll options are a little odd too.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

The 'logic' fails, when you introduce the 'a' from atheist, which means 'NOT'. Maybe if you'd studied more electronics or computing, or maths or set theory you'd understand what 'NOT' means.

How can logic from one area apply to another which is NOT the same? You are being ridiculous Sam. Dogmatic, and ridiculous.

You also keep ignoring the fact that Stalin was brought up a Catholic. Maybe it was religion that warped him?

YOU are guilty of that, Sam. You don't get the simplicity of the term, and keep trying to attach baggage to it, because you can't debate honestly. Really, your arguments are underhand.