Dawkins Choice: Abuse and Religion

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Apr 18, 2008.

?

Dawkins Choice: what is your opinion?

1. Treat religion like abuse

38.1%
  2. Treat abuse like religion

4.8%
  3. Some other opinion

57.1%
  1. Kadark Banned Banned

How about we let parents teach what they want to their children, and let their children decide, ultimately, if that's what they want to follow for the rest of their lives. Certainly, no minority atheist is going to tell me how to raise my children - that's for damn sure. Similarly, I don't expect an atheist to teach his or her children about Islam, nor would I attempt to pass laws which would force them to do so. Laws and government have no business telling parents what to teach their children.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it's a tough one. Like population growth. No one dares utter the quota or forced sterilization phrases, but we still plow on blindly toward a future where more and more of our resources go into simply feeding everyone until the inevitable conclusion where the system fails catastrophically and billions die off in an orgy of starvation and disease.

What to do, what to do...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if you're worried about population, its a good idea to start at home, don't you think?

Stop burning food in your car, use less of the planets resources to support an unsustainable lifestyle, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Exactly. Just like they have no place telling you if and when you can have kids...

Hungry yet?

8. Bells Staff Member

You also need to read that quote in context.

Do you think parents who teach their children that the bible is the be all and end all and therefore should never question it, or parents who have taught their children that the stars predict their every second in life and thus, they should consult all of their horoscopes, numerology, crystals, etc.. Lets just imagine that these children are not allowed to question or believe anything else. You would not classify that as being a form of abuse?

To clarify.. It is illegal to smash a child's teeth in because it is abuse. But it is not illegal or abusive to tell a child that unless they believe in God al'mighty, never question the bible, etc, they will die and go to hell?

That is what that quote is about Sam.

You mean like Christian missionaries took away 'native' children across the planet because their parents were 'heathens' and not 'God believing folks'?

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yep. What do you propose?

10. Kadark Banned Banned

Who is "they"?

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

The minority atheists or the government - as you said in your post?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

See the petition that Dawkins signed. And inasmuch as there are parents who may teach children things that are wrong, is there any justification for taking children away from them? What if these Christians were leading your society and decided you weren't doing a good enough job of adapting your kids to their values. Would they then be justified in removing them from your custody? Would they be right to judge you for having different beliefs?

Were the missionaries right to take away the savage children to teach them a better way?

13. Kadark Banned Banned

You know some pretty weird theists. Regardless, the reverse argument holds true as well: is it abuse if parents who are atheists do not allow their children to explore or believe in anything else (as in, religion)? Also, children don't stay children forever, in case you haven't noticed - when they're free from their parents' nurture and care, they can make their own decisions and form their own beliefs. What parents teach children cannot be interfered with by outside forces like the government. Which seems more reasonable: allowing parents to teach their children what they themselves believe in (unconditionally), or forcing parents who believe in anything other than pure atheism to keep their teachings to themselves? C'mon now, let's be realistic.

It's less abusive to tell them that when they die they simply rot and never see their family or friends again? If I'm a kid, that's going to scare me more than hellfire.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

This whole thing is rediculous. No one is going to police what you personally wish to teach your children. Does anyone take this crap seriously?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not without precedent. But, in any such argument, I am going to be very firmly on my side.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Exactly. I'd hate to have lived in the xian middle ages.

17. Kadark Banned Banned

Not really, but it makes for great debate material. Obviously, Dawkins' bizarre plans will never see the light of day.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Or present day Tibet, China or North Korea.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

He seems to be going a bit loony tunes over this whole atheist thing, dosen't he?

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yep.

21. Bells Staff Member

You're not getting my point.

My point is that in situations where parents are teaching their children by striking the fear of God into them, that they will go to hell if they don't believe in the Bible, and have their children live in a household that is rife with such attitudes.. causing children to live in a constant state of fear is abuse.. then yes, those children should be removed from that household and from the care of their parents.

As for the missionaries, do you think their way is a better way? Just because someone does not believe in God does not mean they are not good parents, just as someone who believes in God does not mean they fail at parenting.

Dawkins use of the quote was to make a point that in some instances, children are being brought up in an environment of fear in the home, fear that comes from religious teachings. Fear that stems from parents pounding into a child's brain that unless they believe as they, the parents do, they will suffer and go to hell. And personally, I think he is correct in that we are not allowed to smash our children's teeth out, just as we should not be allowed to use religion to cause our children to live in a state of fear of hell. And in many instances, parents who bring up their children to live in constant fear of hell are getting away with it because it falls under the broad umbrella that is religion and religious belief.

If there is a chance of abuse.. be it psychological and/or physical, then yes, the child should be removed from the care of its parents.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're kidding. I hope. There is a community to counter such effects. Nobody should be ostracised for their beliefs, even if they are whacky. This is the exact same argument used by the missionaries who took away children from the savage parents.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

Seems like it, from what I've heard. To be honest, I barely pay him any attention. For some reason, I'm not a big fan of getting religious information from a die-hard atheist. That's just me, though.

I must say, I've heard nothing but good things about his biological background. Seems like he's got something really good going for him in the sciences. He should probably stick to that.