Daughter Kept in Cellar 24 Yrs

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Orleander, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Bells the mother was in denial. Its not uncommon really look at Hedda Nussbaum who allowed her husband to physically abuse and finally kill her daughter, or Bonnie the wife of the fallen FBI agent Robert Hanssen. Bonnie actually caught her husband counting thousands of dollars in their basement, he told her it was KGB money and she wagged her finger and told him not to do it again, and then went on baking cookies. She never bothered to ask how he was able to send their kids to expensive private schools or why they had a swiss bank account. She was said to be genuinely shocked when he was finally arrested as a spy. Her husband taped them having sex and shared it with a friend and she simply says 'I love him, I forgive him.' Its all denial. These women become sick in their relationships in an inverted way, its the only way they can exist in the relationship. If they were healthy they wouldn't be there.

How's this for denial:

'On October 17, 1987, Homolka, then 17, met 23-year-old Bernardo at a Scarborough restaurant. Later in the evening they engaged in sex for several hours while their friends were watching a movie in the same room. Bernardo proposed to Homolka on December 24, 1989; Homolka called it "the most romantic moment of her life"

All this before he co-opted her in sexually abusing and killing teenage girls. She was sick when she met him and became sicker because of him.

'During summer 1990, Bernardo became obsessed with Tammy Homolka, peeping into her window and entering her room to masturbate while she slept.[3] In July Bernardo took Tammy Homolka across the border for more beer for a Homolka party; while there, Bernardo later told his fiancee, "they got drunk and began making out".[4] Homolka knew that in all the time he was going out with her, Bernardo was seeing other women and committing rapes, but their trip across the border left her "outraged and humiliated"[5]. Bernardo had told her that if she really loved him she would let him deflower her sister. Homolka agreed, seeing "an opportunity to minimize risk, take control, and keep it all in the family"[6] She also aided him in breaking her sister's window blinds, crushing Valium with which to spike the drinks for her sister and her friends, and planned Tammy's rape as she was planning her wedding. Homolka wanted to "give Tammy's virginity to Bernardo for Christmas" as, according to Homolka, Bernardo had always been upset that she was not a virgin when they met.

Excuse me for saying this but all these weak-assed bitches always claim some form of innocence at the end of the drama, you know, my beau made me do it. I don't hold them in contempt because they're sick I hold them in contempt for being so weak. Imagine allowing someone to make you ILL! I hate this cry of simply 'not knowing' or 'fear of confronting' etc. At least the men were legitimately unrepenting weirdo's. They are more pure.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

I'd call it an erosion of self. It is astounding to me that these women can simply sit back and do nothing.

Did his wife know? It's hard to say. She claims she did not. The question that goes begging is how could she not. But she is not alone. While she may be weak and simply not want to know, can we say the same for the rest of the people in that village?

There was an interesting article about the way in which Austria is very much a "look away" society (the quotes in this post are from the same article). Where people simply never question or look further into matters that would otherwise raise a few eyebrows and demand answers.

I think what shocked me the most about this crime is that no one ever looked further into anything. No one looked into tracking down the mother when her children were supposedly left on her parents doorstep. No one tried to establish the maternity and paternity of those children before he and his wife adopted them. No one even questioned it. No one seemed to raise a questioning finger as to why he was building out the basement as he did.. after all.. isn't it strange that someone builds that kind of underground rooms and then installs such a strong security system? Did he build it himself? Didn't anyone raise an eyebrow when he ordered the material? How could the neighbours not have noticed, let alone his wife and other children. While ignorance may be bliss, it resulted in the living wrecks that came out of that hole on the weekend.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

How can we blame the rest of the people in the village for not knowing what was going on if she didnt even know what was happening in her own basement? Austrians are not the only look away society but hey why are they obligated to mind their neighbors business?

You are shocked because the wife didn't look further into it? She's married to a man who was having sex with her daughter who is sadistically locked away in the basement? If you were her and hadn't already fled the house in fear and horror would you look into it? Think of the psychology here. The wife is COMPLICIT

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Lucysnow not nessarly. There are two other explinations for the wifes actions that explain why she wouldnt have investigated at all.

One is battered wife syndrome. If he was that abusive to his daughter how do you think he treated his wife? It would be quite easy for him to dominate her to the point that she was basically a prisioner as well but insted of bars its her mind that becomes the prision

The other is plain old deniel. Some things are just to horible for our minds to comprehend and so they dont. You see this alot when one long term partner dies and the other partner refuses to admit they are dead. They just start acting as if they are on a buiness trip or something because to face reality would be to horible.

Nither of these situations would make her complicit in his crime

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Isn't there something called the "reasonable man" standard? Surely, it would have been reasonable for the wife to check out what's going on in the basement once in the past 24 years?

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

mad nither of those two options fit a "resonable person". The first is related to stockholm syndrom (which is brain washing) and the second is a true mental illness. How can you expect someone suffering that sort of mental trauma to act in a resonable way?

10. Bells Staff Member

One person living in the building obviously noted something suspicious.

I agree, I think the wife is somehow complicit. If the tenant noticed the strangeness of his landlord's behaviour, how could his wife and children not have noticed it? The article also notes that one of his friends had caught him buying lingerie while holidaying in Thailand and he admitted to his friend that he had 'someone on the side', then asked him to not tell his wife. Granted, one could say that the friend could not have suspected what was going on. But the wife surely must have realised something was very wrong in her husband's behaviour.

I can't look at it from a personal perspective. If I noticed my husband doing something strange, or acting in such a fashion, I would not sit idly by and do or say nothing. She is obviously a weak woman and her weakness has resulted in the ruined lives of her children and grandchildren.

Bleh..

Again.. Bleh..

I still cannot understand (denial maybe) how they were able to adopt the three children without the authorities doing any tests to confirm the children's maternity and/or paternity.

It wasn't just the parents who failed that girl and her children, but the system as well.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Did anyone see the TV coverage of the Austrian police investigators who seemed to think that the most important thing was to protect the privacy of the family.
    The privacy of a family that had an underground incestuous rape vault?
    How much real information will this commitee uncover?

Austria/Zimbabwe no difference.

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

what really gets me is, they say the mum didnt know anything about it, my point is, so what did she think happened to her daughter what she gave birth to her?

13. Bells Staff Member

His daughter and the children involved deserve privacy. The last thing they need is to have TV cameras and people gawking at them. As for him.. he doesn't deserve anything aside from a lifetime in jail.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Just gut instinct, but I suspect that the problems are much deeper.
    I wonder if more people are involved, and a that a cover-up is in process.

We had a similar thing in Jersey which has just come to light.
    It has taken decades to emerge because many of the guilty people are pillars of society.
    These respectable people are protected from scandal because there are a whole ring of equally high standing people involved.

Unfortunately paedophilia is a case where conspiracy really does happen, and it is not just in the crazed mind of some conspiracist.

He had a number of children of his own and then seven more children from his daughter.
    He had a wife to support, and had no benefits or tax breaks for most of them.

And yet there are pictures emerging of him well tanned on Holidays.
    Where did all the money come from?
    And who took care of shielding the dark secrets while he was away?

If the Austrian justice system uncovers it all,
    I will be pleasantly surprised.
    Lets see what happens.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Asguard: One is battered wife syndrome. If he was that abusive to his daughter how do you think he treated his wife? It would be quite easy for him to dominate her to the point that she was basically a prisioner as well but insted of bars its her mind that becomes the prision

I understand about the battered wife syndrome, but there are many women who refuse to stay with a man who hits, am I right? There is a profile for the type of woman who remains in an abusive situation. At some point the woman is absolutely complicit, she's the one who refuses to press charges after a beating and defends her husband when they try to take her husband away. Its a form of complicity. Denial is also a form of complicity. Its a way of saying I see what is happening but I refuse to confront what I see.

Stole this from another thread (something about brain function). Hope Coberst doesn't mind it just seemed applicable:

As Thomas Kuhn observed:

“Novelty emerges with difficulty, manifested by resistance, against a back drop provided by expectation. Initially, only the anticipated and usual are experienced even under circumstances where anomaly is later to be discovered…Further acquaintance, however, does result of awareness of something wrong…[which] opens a period in which perceptual categories are adjusted until the initially anomalous has become the anticipated.”

Bell: I can't look at it from a personal perspective.

I would have cut his penis off, attached it to five of six helium balloons and set the damn thing free.

Captain Kremmen: The privacy of a family that had an underground incestuous rape vault?

I agree with Bells, for the sake of the children and grand-children privacy is required. The public really doesn't need to know more than required to show the charges justified.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Due to wimpy leftist European laws, the most this guy can get is like 12 years! Ridiculous.

Here's an update on the story. One of the kids is suffering from multiple organ failure. One of the little boys is now in an aquarium? because he can barely move or talk. Truly a horrible story.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=563912&in_page_id=1770

19. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

.......................................................................................................................
    this story makes my stomach really sick ......................................................

20. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=563912&in_page_id=1770

Elisabeth, now 42, had been sexually abused by her father since the age of 11.

She ran away from home at the age of 16 but was dragged back by Fritzl
    and locked up when he suspected she was planning to leave again.

......................................:bugeye:

At that time she run away, didn't she report to police or something??? Asking
    help to neighbour??? This is extremely bizarre to me :bugeye:

Even at age 8, I think I know how to report to police or people to ask for protection!

Also, there is a photo in the article provided in Madant's post.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The title in the photo says:

Christening: Elisabeth (circled right) aged nine with her family, including
    her mother Rosemarie (circled left) and her brother Josef sitting next to her.

So Elisabeth has a brother? Perhaps her mom is weak, but whatever happened
    with her brother???

21. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Actually by staying alive she risks the children staying with her as well (as
    what has happened). Had she did suicide, perhaps the evil man will take
    the children out of the basement because nobody take care of them (they
    did finally managed to get out because one of them was severely ill). Or, had
    she did suicide, she would not give birth to 7 children and rise them all in
    undiscribebably horrible situation,..

But what if the guy sometime during the 24 years of the imprisonment died?
    Wouldn´t the secret will be burried alive with them underground as well?

22. Clown Banned Banned

I told the fucker, 'don't take her out of the bunker!!!!'
    Did he listen?

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But she was raised that her dad was the law, the ultimate authority. He was the police. At 8 it never would have crossed my mind to doubt him. Especially if everyone in your house went along with it.

And at 16 she left and was drug back. Why didn't anyone help her?