Dartmoor Beast Identified As New Species Of European Giant Hyrax?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by common_sense_seeker, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

But you've said such things about physics ideas which were later falsified. Your opinion is not based on information or logic but delusion.

But you haven't eliminated the obvious possibilities yet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But....wha?? Sherlock Holmes isn't real.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Doh!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Hyraxes do sometimes look very much like dogs.
    Unscrupulous pet dealers are even selling them to unsuspecting families as pets.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baby saying hello to new "Dog" bought from cheapdog4u.com/hyrax

I've now realised that my last dog was a hyrax.
    I thought he was just an ordinary dog.

Thanks for starting this thread CSS.
    You've opened my eyes.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    Kristoffer likes this.
  8. phlogistician Banned Banned

I was lying? You stated such photos existed,and I asked you to link to them. This you have now done, and it makes it all the more obvious it was a dog in the picture!

I was not 'hiding' evidence, as that picture WAS NOT ON THE FORTEAN TIMES WEB SITE YOU LINKED TO PREVIOUSLY.

Get a fucking grip, YOU make the claims, you show the evidence.

You have shown what you have, and what you have, is a picture of a DOG.

9. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

10. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

You think a page which just repeats folklore is 'evidence'? Where are the pictures, the documentation of sightings, interviews with eye witnesses, analysis of droppings, nests/hides/whatever etc by experts in animal behaviour?

You try to support rumour and myth by linking to a page which just reports rumour and myth!

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Possibility of some animals as yet undiscovered in the vast South American rain forest? Not unlikely at all.

Possibility of undiscovered, (excluding animals released from captivity) animals being found in the 400 square miles of Dartmoor? Very close to zero.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Fascinating: what do we have here.

An observation of a largish animal of uncertain character. Photographs show what many consider to be a dog. An eye witness claims it was undog like in its movement. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. (I wouldn't accept my own eye witness testimony; why should I accept someone else's.) Most probably it is a dog. Perhaps, it is one of the large felines (e.g. panther) that some think are running wild in the UK. That is much less likely than the dog explanation, but not impossible.

Then along comes Common Sense Seeker. And in his opinion it is not a dog, it is not a cat, it is a hyrax.
    In his opinion a hyrax best fits the evidence. This animal, of which Wikipedia says "from a distance (it) could be mistaken for a very well-fed rabbit or guinea pig", is the best fit for the evidence, according to CSS.
    This animal, which has never been native to Britain in post-glacial times, which is found today only in Africa and the Middle East, is the best fit for the evidence!

Does anyone think, like me, that the evidence is pointing towards CSS being stark, raving bonkers?

13. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The area is bigger than that, there's no limit to their range, just like the big cats that roam undetected. There's no difference.

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Once again you demonstrate your inability to get even the simplest of facts correct. Captain Kremmen gave the area of Dartmoor as 400 square miles - an obvious rounding off of a more precise number. What is that more precise number? 368 square miles, according to the Dartmoor National Park Authority, who might be expected to know. But you think it is bigger than even the Captain's rounded up number of 400 square miles.

In terms of constructing a logical argument the rest of your statement is also unsound. The existence of big cats, released or escaped from private collections, has not been proven. You cannot, therefore, use their possible existence to serve as support for your argument that a giant hyrax could also exist.

What evidence do you have that this was not a large kangaroo? Or perhaps a new genus of chameleon that was caught as it changed from looking like a dog to looking like a hyrax?

15. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Please read the above carefully and think before replying.

16. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Take your own advice!

17. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The fifth claw reported from the Nandi Bear tracks from Africa fits with the grooming claw of the hyrax, plus the drawings of the Beast of Gevaudan.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You've got Hyrax mania, CSS.
    You're hyraxterical.

19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Late news... The crack South African animal anaesthesiologist sedation team ('Dart more beast') have arrived and managed to subdue the massive Hyrax with a single well placed shot to the upper left shoulder.
    Unfortunately, the huge lumbering beast was not, in fact a Hyrax but our own Baron (hi!) Max who was out on a quick dash to the boozer whilst on his annual European sojourn.
    When the top 'Dart more beast' marksman went to check his pulse, our Baron wrenched the dart gun from his cold red fingers and unloaded two more tranquilising shots into his own gut (no mean feat) and settled back for the ride.

As they say, 'when in Dartmoor, do as the Roamans do'.

20. John99 Banned Banned

Thats very interesting. Well i guess anything is possible.

21. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

lol. Not bad..

Thanks for your enthusiasm. Much appreciated.

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

:cheers:

Thanks CSS. I must say that I like your posts, even if they are off the wall.
    I know a lot more about hyraxes than I did a week ago.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I'm missing the Baron.
    It won't be long before they've cleared out all the mavericks, loonies and idiots, and we'll have to discuss proper science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.