Dangerous Internet

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bowser, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Quit Windows forever.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

For free protection, Avast Anti-Virus did incredibly well for me (as did running FireFox with noScript

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Currently, I use Webroot Secure Anywhere (formerly Webroot SpySweeper with AntiVirus) since A) I got it free for beta-testing it through work and B) It's damn fast and very effective

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would switch this machine to Linux, but my wife is a fan of Windows. Thought about a dual boot setup, but I'm a little concerned about the process. There was a time when Ubuntu would setup a dual boot up menu, configuring the partitions and such.

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

My backup machine has XP 64 (Norton is incompatible with XP 64) and Ubuntu partitions. It is a nuisance to mess with that stuff every time I boot up. Have Avast for XP 64 and it works well. Despite 4 installs Ubuntu freezes and locks up after maybe 10 minutes every time. I am not sure what I am going to do about that, so for now I just boot into 64. I keep hoping that Linux gets a stable OS I can use, but am not holding my breath.

My primary machine has WIN 7 64 bit and Norton + McAfee. Those seem to do a pretty good job of handling attacks thus far, but I am sorta careful where I go on the net, what I open in email and what I allow on this machine by way of input.

9. Chipz Banned Banned

I have been running Linux for more than a decade, as my primary OS for 9 years, and as my work OS for 3 years. I think I could count on my fingers (maybe one hand?) how many times its crashed on me during use. All of those times were when I was working with kernel drivers or developed software which caused a kernel-panic. If Linux is not acting stable...it not the penguin, it's you.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's a security measure. If you could do that, I guarantee that people would click on it.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Yeah? Or maybe its the quality/integrity of the download(s). I have a few of those now, each sitting on its own cd. Some of the installs wouldn't even fire up. :shrug:

I did nothing to Ubuntu, it worked fine until it installed an update that lunched it. After the bad update it got that problem. While I had considered reinstalling it again and merely forbidding it installing updates, it hasn't been important enough to me to mess with any more.

My experience with Ubuntu has been different than your experience with Ubuntu, that is all.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I was running Linux Mint on an ancient IBM laptop until the machine died. The OS worked pretty well for me. I would use it again if I had a computer that wasn't dedicated to family use. I don't understand their slavish loyalty to Windows 7. I recently had to set the machine back to factory defaults because Windows had slowed down to a crawl. Everybody is gunning for Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.