Dance as exercise

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by birch, Nov 20, 2017.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

the best thing about dance is that you are having so much fun while exercising, it's not a chore at all even when exerting effort. part of it also is how fluid and intuitive it is which respects your natural physiology, biorythym, pacing, breathing etc.

this is why zumba is so popular right now. this is professional choreography but the jist is the same which is find an exercise you enjoy , then you will be inspired, not loathe it.

i love choreography. it's so creative and expressive. it's not only exercise but also artistic.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This is why, at a gentler level of physical exertion but with rather more mental exertion required, I like choral singing. A blend of physical and mental exercise, with an aesthetically pleasing result - if done well enough.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

i'm impressed by her choreography. i taught some aerobic classes back in the day when i was in the military on a volunteer basis but you have to keep the moves very basic and simple, otherwise people can become frustrated if it's too complicated but after awhile does get dull and routine.

having a dance studio is much more fun where you can be as creative as possible because that is what the students are wanting to learn.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

the reason why dance choreography is a harder choice for exercise (even though it's one of the better ones) as you get older is likened to a computer. when you are young, it's like a brand new computer and a blank slate that's speedy and absorbs information efficiently. when you are young, you can watch a set, file it away instantaneously and recall it effortlessly in it's complete detail.

as you get older, your system gets bogged down and has some viruses, your harddrive is full and needs defragmenting and the only thing left is the temp folder. in other words, you are not as fast as you used to be.

anyways, i like androgynous style of choreography. i prefer this over feminine choreography like ballet. it's similar to what i used to dance to. my generation was the hey-day of hip-hop and the core of it is pretty much the same but it's continually evolved to have a diverse edge.

the thing i've noticed about different dance teams is that even the asian ones in the west are not as in sync or edgy in the same way or as precise as the eastern ones. western dance teams are edgy too but in a different way. they all do have a different style and it reflects in the style of choreography, even if subtle and in some nuance or flavor of the same genre of music in the culture they grew up in and therefore produce. that's the unique beauty that springs forth from sharing cultures.

8. birch Valued Senior Member

the western dance crews are more raw and the transitions are sloppy. you can also tell by the first video that the majority of them were cheerleaders before by their style of choreography and transition style.

it's not as polished or as fluid/nuanced or sophisticated as eastern dance teams.

and they are not the best 'dance' teams or dancers in the world at all. there are even lesser known dancers that are more talented.

9. birch Valued Senior Member

the choreography is like cashmere. it's just smoother. whatever you think you are good at, there is always someone in another country that can do it as well or better. lol

even asian fashion reflects this nuance of edgy, funky but fluid.

10. river

Latin dance for couples is terrific exercise .

11. birch Valued Senior Member

I love her choreography to the point i think i have a crush and i'm not even gay. lol

ligi (choreographer) is very good at rap/hip-hop style; she has a lot of swag. alien dance studio is very innovative.

they are all excellent studios but the fave for me is viva studio by jane kim. i just love her.

12. birch Valued Senior Member

aging really does suck. i was pretty talented when i was younger as in i could watch a set just once and get up immediately and do it perfectly. i loved to dance and sing. it's much easier to do this when you are young just like it's easier for children to pick up several languages effortlessly. still, not all children can pick it up that easily. when you don't have parents that care or nurture your talents, it will be lost just like atrophying muscles. the only thing that was nurtured was how well i could do household chores. i wasn't even allowed to study or do homework or even read a book. i was just put to work, making sure i had no time for myself.

i was just very artistic all around, even a good visual artist. i love all forms of art. i could show that in art class in high school where my drawing was picked for the yearbook and my sculpture was picked to be put on display at the community college lobby where i took an art class. it was a plaster sculpture of an artic wolf and her cub.

i couldn't really develop anything solidly in the longterm though because i was always riddled with personal problems and mental health issues going into intermittent periods of extreme depression, even to the point of being catatonic at times. abuse is a terrible thing. but my son will carry that on as he is very artistic himself as he has a real chance. he is even better than me though as he is also very intellectually gifted also. i really hope that is the universe's way of granting me some form or semblance of justice.

life is like that, some make it and some don't but i am not resentful of other's success or talents. i admire them because it makes a more beautiful world. i love to see strength, vibrancy and talent in others. i love true inner strength and when it shines. i especially love to see genuinely strong women in every facet of life, not strong as in being a bully which is often mistaken for strength but women that empower and inspire other women to own their own strength and reaching for the best and to be the best version of themselves. it is stupid for women to be jealous of other women, it does not help positively for women as a whole. they are ignorantly hurting themselves and future generations of women.

now, it's like, 'what was that last step again?' rewind. lol.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  13. birch Valued Senior Member

how you can tell that someone has natural talent at what they do is termed 'flow'. it's natural. even though you do have to put in continuous effort and dedication, if you put in the same effort or more versus someone who doesn't have that natural talent in that area, they will almost never be able to match you. it's just the truth.

talent takes care of half the effort or more. this is why she is the choreographer and not the student. lol

but there is also the tortoise and the hare scenario and that is even if you do have talent and take it for granted or don't develop it, you will get nowhere with it either.

then again, there are cases of people who do have a lot of talent in an area but they are not interested. sometimes, it could be because it is too easy and there is no challenge or they feel they've mastered that area and there is nowhere further to go or take it so move onto something else.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Makes perfect sense. However, some of us have no physical rhythm. But I do believe dancing is good exercise.

15. birch Valued Senior Member

the secret is intuition. it's combining pacing, breathing, balance and motion with the music simultaneously. it's physics in motion. just like how you ride a bicycle.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think dance looks like the perfect exercise. Unfortunately, I'm just not into it at all (nor am I good at it obviously). I know there are guys who are into it but not so many in our (US) culture it seems.

I think other athletics are the "dance" for most guys. I like both outdoor rock climbing and indoor gym climbing. I think it does similar things to dance for me.

17. bravery Registered Member

I enjoyed watching the videos and I am hoping that I can do that too.

18. birch Valued Senior Member

You can tell when someone is a dancer or has some dance/choreography experience by how they critique the moves but especially the timing/sync/transitions.

19. river

Everybody has rhythm . Your rhythm in within your body . Just get in tune . Not all music will bring out your rhythm , but some music styles will .

20. birch Valued Senior Member

but you also use intuition to be rhythmic. you have to anticipate and adjust tempo, not just use any type of rhythym as you need to match your moves to a particular style of music or what you are trying to express.

21. birch Valued Senior Member

Bts. This is another group thats hot on the scene at the moment in kpop. They kind of all get their turn/marketing in the spotlight. they are all very creative with their choreography.

Compare that to an older established group like tvxq, still smokin..

22. birch Valued Senior Member

honest, unbiased reviews. it's true. america's dance crews has nothing on kpop dance crews as they are in a league of their own. straight up.

he said that he has never seen choreography this lit, sick, in sync and clean in his life but almost all kpop groups dance on this level. their choreography or dance is not even that unique in korea. this is regular and they are alright.

this is probably one of the reasons that northeast asians are the target of more denigration/criticisim is because they take something and run with it and take it to another level of excellence while that may make some others insecure. they are not opposed to harder work and pushing themselves so the only ways to down them is that they did not originate it all or some such reasoning but it's not accurate because they come up with their own choreography now and are just as or more creative in their own way; pretty much petty stuff when people should be celebrating with them.

why not? asians looked up to the west and adored and appreciate what they like.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  23. birch Valued Senior Member

you can distinguish a great dancer by their balance of swag, energy, tempo, precision and polish. all the details to even the hand movements down to the fingertips because it's about the total artistic expression. everything has got to be in sync; every move and nuance.

this guy has got the total package. the it factor. i love this choreography, it's so fun.

i remember reading one of his myspace frustrated rants and said 'i feel like a gay version of myself' because he couldn't do what he wanted as part of the kpop group and it got him into hot water. it was funny though and understandable considering his b-boy background and he was having trouble adjusting, alone, etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018