damn SUV's.....

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by ZelkinX, Dec 6, 2002.

1. boppa Registered Senior Member

the trick here is be a smart driver-dunno about where u are but here all schools are now 40kmh zone etc etc

it doesnt matter what you are driving-hitting a kid is at best severe injuries,at worst death
    the trick is to slow down and drive sensable!!
    something most drivers are not

taken to extremes-i can cut kids being killed by cars to zero-and thats guarenteed!!
    ban ALL cars
    (btw thats a very tic reply)

as a differet swing - here caravans come out in droves during the holidays

several jackknifes due to too small cars trying to pull them-including 2 fatalities

ban small cars-only big cars

this whole thread is basically flawed in its original premise-that nobody has any need to drive anything bigger than a small car-and that simply isnt true

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh i agree with u

a friend of mine goes 4x4 driving and altho he lives just around the corner from me there is no reason he shouldnt

but people who ONLY drive in the city and dont tow ect SHOULDNT have 4x4 cars

or if they want one get that tiny sezuky

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. boppa Registered Senior Member

we had a similar debate here in nsw some time ago,the staysafe commitee tried to introduce a similar scheme based on postcodes
    unfortunately it was found to be so impractical that it was dropped entirely
    some people who lived in cities that owned boats/horses ie required towing capabilites wouldnt have been able to own them due to where they lived
    others who lived in towns in the country who were eligiable to own one didnt need one

basically here you pay a rego fee yearly-that depends on the weight and the enginesize/horsepower of the car
    so if you want to own one it costs you more
    seems the best way to me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. boppa Registered Senior Member

Should bumpers not be stadard heights to lessen damage in the case of accidents involving contact with other vehicles - not to mention pedestrains? Is this not why we have bumpers?

from alisons post

my lux has its bumpers about window height on a ford laser

and front and rear are both bent-from hitting the ground

if they were any lower then they wouldnt exist-theyd be lying on the `road' in rosebank

maybe small cars should be built higher??

if u want ill take a picture of the `road' i travel on

8. boppa Registered Senior Member

5- see how far u get with no petrol, after all how easerly do those convert to gass?

asguards post

exactly the same motors-in either petrol or diesel

the petrol motors used in 4x4 are in most cases the same motor used in the passenger cars made by the same company
    lpg conversions easily done in either case-except 4x4 are normally easier(and cheaper)than cars!!
    diesels dont convert to lpg,but run fine on biodiesel(with some injector clogging)

9. boppa Registered Senior Member

2- think about the hight of a camry, corrola, commodor, falcon and then the hight of a 4x4, which will roll easer?

last post for the evening i promise

owned camira,commodore,falcon,dyna(truck),hilux

excluding the dyna

the cheapest to run so far is the hilux on country cycle
    on city-tossup between hilux and camaira
    btw for overseas types a camira is a 1.8l efi jap type buzbox
    and the hilux is a 2.4 turbo diesel 4x4
    so all the they cost the earth in fuel types-well a turbo diesel 4x4 is about the same or better than a jap 4cyl buzzzbox in most cases

so the next time u get in your 6 or 8 station wagon-think that im using half the fuel u r

in a 4x4

buy diesel

10. jesuspresley Registered Member

that's good advice. a friend of mine bought an old diesel mercedes and usedbiodiesel technology to convert it into a green grease machine.

there are all sorts of technologies out there that aren't being pursued by the industries (and their government lackys) that are too invested in the status quo, ie. the oil, automotive, rubber, and asphault industries.

it wouldn't take all that much to turn things around; yet, the powers that be are resistant. it will take demands from consumers to really get things going with any of these new technologies. right now, you have to actively look for them.

you can find a reason for a large (or at least 4x4) vehicle even in the city with the quality of roads. driving in the city is a hassle as it should be. cars of all sorts can be more trouble than they are worth in an urban setting, though i'm seeing more and more reserve by the hour type vehicles out there.

i'm not against the large vehicles; but rather against the waste. stricter fuel efficiency standards need to be put in place.

the outdated concept of limitless growth has got to change.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

did u even read what u quoted???

it says which will ROLL easer

12. boppa Registered Senior Member

i did-by roll i assumed from previous context we were talking about rolling resistence-altho rereading i assume now you meant roll as in turning turtle

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yea i ment roll as in flip

14. boppa Registered Senior Member

as homer j would say
    DOH
    late nights and straight thinking dont always go together

i was assuming that when u were talking about the height-the rolling resistence due to wind
    oops sorry

my lux isnt as stable as a commodore for sure
    but i simply allow for tht in my driving style-slowing down extra for corners etc

many people movers (tarargo etc are also as high as mine-and a lot narrower to boot)

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i did a driving corse for AAMI and they go anyone who has a forester ect has to take 10 k off the speeds of the exercise cause they have had HEEPS of them roll

thats in controled conditions where ur surpose to be learning what ur car can do

16. boppa Registered Senior Member

a lot depends on the particular truck/van whatever-i had a ford transit camper than was far more stable than my old humpy(fj) because it had duals on the back axle(the outside tyres actually sat outside the body with big flares over them)
    the humpy was a standard fj holden(car) that got destroyed by my cousin when he rolled it

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yea i have a friend who managed to roll her excell

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. boppa Registered Senior Member

i would personally put just as much importance to the driver knowing how to drive properly-most 4x4(and van) rollovers are because people drive them like they are cars-and they arent!!
    driven properly rollovers shouldnt happen

i think more education is the answer rather banning them as staysafe was basically pushing for
    the driving tests for the liscences here in nsw are a joke

btw i did a cams(confederation of australian motorsports) advanced driving course at oran park
    cost a few hundred-but man was it ever worth it
    basically the same as the highway patrol drivers have to do before they can do high speed pursuit

19. -iLluSiON- Registered Senior Member

I thought there was at least 60 years worth of fossil fuels left...?

Of course, this is of the areas we know that have it. Maybe there's a huge oil field in Anarctica or something... who knows.

20. lapisblusky Registered Member

SUV milage

Hey what about those of us who would LOVE to have a vehicle that gets great milage, but have big families - it's all fine and good if you can squeeze your butt into a mini-cooper, but no one in my family is below 5'9", and all the guys are built big in the shoulders and chest (football players & such). With my son and a couple of his friends, I have to have a shoehorn and a sledgehammer to get them in a large vehicle as it is. I feel put out because all the cars & trucks you find out there now are designed for tiny people, (not just short, but also narrow - how do you cram someone who measures 58" around the shoulders into a mitsubishi?- and what if you have two more just like that to stuff in there?) I haven't seen a small car yet that would be safe to drive like that. It's just not safe to be squashed into a vehicle that is so cramped you can't turn the wheel quickly or respond to problems like someone cutting you off in traffic... My husband has to push the seat all the way back and down just to feel comfortable and we have a 1999 yukon!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  21. Q25 Registered Senior Member

well I guess we can always make a car that has hydrogen on demand generator,something like this;
    www.milleniumcell.com
    www.powerball.net

22. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

lapisblusky

YOU DIDN'T JUST.....OH MY, YES YOU DID.