Curing 18 of 18 monkeys, ZMapp "most effective" anti-Ebola drug yet, sez Nature study

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by binnie, Sep 6, 2014.

1. binnie Registered Member

Two top immunologists agree with recent Nature paper, linked to in this article, finding that the monoclonal antibody cocktail ZMapp is the most effective anti-Ebola drug yet. US HSS has set aside $24 million to accelerate production, it announced last week. But two vaccines, one developed by the NIH, are also on the way. See the article "ZMapp: Best Anti-Ebola Drug Yet" in Drug Discovery & Development online.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

One of the sad consequences of this is that gravely ill patients have to be used as test subjects. Too bad the vaccine could not have been developed before the outbreak.

8. Jake Arave Ethologist Registered Senior Member

We need something to incentivize cure research before it can begin --- the loss of human lives because of this disease is a sad, but necessary to fund cure research. If you will remember (or if you are old enough to remember) HIV/AIDS had absolutely no funding until it became pandemic.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Thank God, now we can start saving monkeys. Next we will have to find something to help people.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, given that it might have some pretty grievous side effects, you probably don't want it widely distributed yet. Let's say it only kills .01% of the people it is used on - it would still be far worse than the disease.

However I agree that it's looking very promising, and I'm glad it is getting the attention it is.

11. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Not to make light of the thread, but why didn't they use 12 monkeys?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

According to this article, the Zmapp method of producing MAbs is going to be very expensive because the combined amount required is very high,
    12 grams or so, necessitating extracting the antibodies from 360 Kg of Nicotiana benthamiana, per patient.
    It also suggests that older methods of producing MAbs may be more cost effective.
    https://rybicki.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/norway-to-get-worlds-last-dose-of-zmapp/

I can't find any projected costing for a course of Zmapp, 3 injections of 4 grams.
    $100,000? Just a guess.

In Africa, the best way of boosting antibodies may turn out to be blood transfusions from cured patients.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member