Cuba: Get over it already

Discussion in 'Politics' started by invert_nexus, May 9, 2004.

1. Facial Valued Senior Member

The US should lift the embargo with Cuba.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

For the sake of the Cubans, if nothing else. Cuba is about as threatening to America as a wet blanket.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

not true, a wet blanket can be rolled up and flicked at people causing welts or even putting someones eye out. The blanket is a much greater threat.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. bradguth Banned Banned

Just think, as to what would happen if we replaced our commander and chief village idiot moron, and of his warlordship's educational "high standards and accountability" lies, with that of an actual education under the much higher standards of Castro, as what then?

Perhaps folks wouldn't have been so easily snookered about anything NASA/Apollo, or what a great deal of our perpetrated cold-wars were about, nor of what a certain president or two that had been running us amuck that brought about the 9/11 fiasco in the fist place, or of anything NSA/CIA/DoD and so forth pertaining to those invisible WMD, although I'd admit those stealth donkey-carts hauling about a serious butt load of essentially 4-of-July classified fireworks was a pretty nifty coup.

Regards, Brad Guth (BBCI h2g2 U206251) http://guthvenus.tripod.com/update-242.htm

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hey, it's my old Cuba thread! Ah, she brings a tear to my eye. Memories. . .

Anyway, as I said earlier in this thread, I believe that if the embargo were dropped, Fidel and his government would probably not last very long. It is only his anti-American stance that keeps him in power, in my belief.

And, the old bastard's got to die one of these days. How old is he? 90 something? And how many cigars has he sucked down that encrusted old windpipe of his. Damn, maybe he's a robot.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit: By the way, Brad, do you ever post without pasting a link to your website? Do you understand how annoying that little tendency of yours is? Do you think that people are really going, "Hey, that Brad seems like a right bonnie fellow. I think I'll go check out his site. It must be good. He has a link in every post he's ever made." Give it up man. Put the link in your profile and if people care they'll check it out. Sheesh.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Alot of people dislike him there, but it's a totalitarian state, you can't even get a cell phone, and all calls out are monitored. Unless you are a journalist, you can't fly there directly. They have no paint. That's right, everything looks old and peeling, because they can't get enough paint to cover a house. Of course they are driving cars from the 50's maintained with russian parts. The government sponsors the education of doctors, which sounds great, but they don't make any more money than a cab driver, so many doctors have jobs other than medicine. The people don't get enough to eat, food is rationed, they can't buy very much meat. The government encouraged people to grow gardens, which also sounds environmentally friendly and stuff, but the fact is that they need to do this just to fill their stomachs. It is a good place to visit, good cigars, cheap hookers, and underpriced artworks, but everyone is looking forward to normal relations with America. My uncle is a journalist who writes mostly about Cuba and South America, (and he interviewed Castro once, but was only allowed to talk about baseball). One interesting bit of info is the the US government hands out free portable shortwave radios to anyone in Cuba that wants one, almost 10,000 of them since 2002!

10. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

ZZZZzzzzing!

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Baseball. Wouldn't that be a strange quirk of history. If Castro had been accepted into MLB. What a different world we might live in today. Funny how history often hangs on such seeminly innocuous moments.

12. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Spider
    The Yugo? You mean, they're FORCED to drive a Yugo? Aww man, lets bomb-em! How sick can a country be?

13. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

Alot of people dislike him? Have you seen a rally in Havana recently? He's as popular as he was 50 years ago. And the people dont want to be like America, as shocking as that sounds, theyre proud of being Cuban. And after all, if the US had it's way, Batista or his succesor would probably still be there...

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

But they will probably tell you that things would have been different if Che had been still around.

15. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

What do you mean?

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ché Guevara...

People still worship him in south america and in cuba. In cuba many people think that things would have been different if Che hadn't left cuba. Because Che was seen as a real revolutionary and idealist. Che is the lost son of latin america so to speak. That doesn't mean that things would actually have been different of course.

17. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

I dont know if they'd be different, i mean money is money. A little more romantic perhaps. He has a big monument in Havana.

18. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

This is a gross mistatement. His rallies are huge because he gives people the day off and when they show up for the rallies they get entertained, fed, and so forth. I'm sure some crackpots love him, but he is not well-loved by the Cuban people. No way.

And certainly they're proud to be Cuban, but they generally want democracy and capitalism. Just look at the way they're gobbling it up, in the limited way they're allowed, which is mostly via tourism and American dollars pumped in from the Cuban exile community, which they promptly proceed to spend on refridgerators, air conditioners, and so forth. None of them say they hate America, or want to be different from America, so long as Castro's thugs aren't around.

As far as the sanctions are concerned, I agree, they should be lifted. They're simply not working. We should pursue other avenues of affecting change in the human rights situation in Cuba, and not worry about what kind of government they have. It's really none of our business so long as they're not a threat. Agitate for human rights improvements, though, sure, we can do that.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

"The Yugo? You mean, they're FORCED to drive a Yugo? Aww man, lets bomb-em! How sick can a country be? "

Not Yugos, they drive 50's chevys and fords, everything with tail fins. In fact, Castro tried to make money with these relics, calling them a national treasure. There was a whole warehouse full of them, but for some reason, they couldn't find buyers.

20. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Really?

Poor B'tards.

I owned a chevy once..........

21. Facial Valued Senior Member

Che is pretty big here in Southern California.