Creativity is akin to insanity say scientists who have been studying how the mind wks

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by common_sense_seeker, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I think so. You can believe you are eating the body of Christ on Sunday - a Thomas Szasz favorite example - and not be insane. Belief is not enough. REally you can believe anything at all. And the eating the body of Christ is not less strange than your insanity example. Your is potentially more violent (or is it?)
    Oh, yeah, give me the blase response. Shit, now I have to come up with something really strange.

Gotta go. REspond to the rest later.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Presumably talking about it could also class as "acting upon it"?
    IOW we could be as insane as we like, but so long as we keep it to ourselves it's just a delusion?

Ooh. Controversial!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well yeah. That's me... seen it all before. Blasé is my other middle name.

I think S.A.M. and I talked about mind-over-body for physical ailments some years ago. (But only briefly). The idea of "psychosomatic" illnesses being "real" isn't that much of a stretch...

Funnily enough, "Strange" really was my (nick)name at one firm I worked for...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Emil Valued Senior Member

Maybe we understand the meaning of the word "creativity" through different ways.
    Can be an exceptional, extraordinary but that happens very rarely in human history.Perhaps it is more than usual creativity.It is a masterpiece, a piece of art.
    But creativity is manifested through addition, one bit of many people.
    LCD Monitor appeared through hard work and creativity of many people.
    It is true that is based on an exceptional cretivitate on properties of lichd crystal.
    Also, the plane today,is the result creativity of many people..etc...etc...
    I do not think all these people are insane.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

are you familiar with conversion disorder? (provided you with a link this time, mr. lazyman.

)

the dsm criteria:
    now, note this bit: "The symptom or deficit, after appropriate investigation, cannot be explained fully by a general medical condition, the direct effects of a substance, or as a culturally sanctioned behavior or experience." well, what they don't bother to tell ya here is that some folks got a rather curious notion of what is "appropriate." IOW oftentimes, the very absence of a means for testing does not preclude the oh-so-ethical physician from considering his resources exhausted and his investigation thorough. "conversion disorder" is far more commonly dx'd in developing nations--funny that, eh? the guy's seizing all over the place, but we haven't got an eeg device or an mri, so we'll just call it "conversion disorder." physician, fuck-thyself!

(and yet another argument against those enamored of half-assed tertiary sources like wiki. oh, and i'll get you some proper citations for my contentious claims in a bit--gotta run now. you know, dogs and whatnots.)

i think you're just in denial over your lifelong obsession with hawkwind.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Isn't this an example of scientists investigating something which is already well known and accepted, and then after spending $100,000 dollars researching it, finding that it is true?

Quote: Alexander Pope:

Great wits are to madness near allied
    And thin partitions do their bounds divide.

Other possible things to investigate:

When you go to bed you get sleepier.
    Older people have poorer eyesight.
    When one train is late, others are also likely to be late.
    Virgins at age 40 are not likely to get married.
    Golfers are more likely to be struck by lightning than swimmers.

9. M00se1989 Banned Banned

"The term "conversion" has its origins in Freud's doctrine that anxiety is "converted" into physical symptoms"(wiki)

stress in today's age is what affects anxiety. Stress is a mental ailment that can have both good and bad effects on a person's overall outlook on life.

Good stress is a precognition of a physical event that needs to take place on time. It allows a person to prepare for the future event.

most people learn how to deal with stress on their own, but the idea of teaching children how to prepare is still a concept that breaches the grasps of our minds.

To which case I add that the best way to teach is to learn by doing.

To which I add The accumulation of knowledge is a skill that is best not left up to chance but destiny and popper use of the right tools, such as computer graphics and real life examples to facilitate the process.

(about history) teach people and children alike how to learn from history through the application of the given origin of the idea presented.

By returning to the origin, not only is the original idea preserved but the creativity behind the idea may also be expressed given there is an outlet for a student to properly express the idea to their desires.

ergo sum choosing their own destiny.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

This should probably have been in the thread YOU started. You know, the one about stress.
    But at least you're reducing the nonsense content even if it hasn't been eliminated altogether.

11. M00se1989 Banned Banned

lol put this here to aid in understanding and conversation.
    planned the other one out there for the actual practice.

no fishies really biting yet. lol

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Your posts do little to promote (or even illustrate) understanding.

13. M00se1989 Banned Banned

If creativity is akin to insanity should we not promote creative functions in the field of psychology at the institutions themselves?

to teach what a mental patient can use as a coping device will aid in the belief of their sanity.

Through their expressions we can see what torments and delights the mind of the patient themselves.

I believe the same can be said for most "normal" people as well.

dreams, desires, wishes expressed in the mind could then be revisited by use of the original person to give in his own terms his thoughts on their work over a span of time.

Possibly a way of "tracking" a patients grip and perception of reality and seeing If they are capable of functioning in society.

14. M00se1989 Banned Banned

so your saying allow the insane to feel insane? allow the great minds of creativity that struggled through mental health to still bear the mark of society labeling them insane or not quite stable? Or to possibly make them hide their creativity for fear of being called insane?

that sounds like insanity... even sounds like insanity creating insanity.

15. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Sure, but there are acts and there are ACTS.

Insanity is really about functioning not simply beliefs or even primarily beliefs. If you can hold down a job and have while having the looniest beliefs - holding down a job tends to entail some minimal hygience, some minimal social skills (very minimal considering some of my employers), and some sense of time and date, etc - you will likely not be judged insane unless you commit a crime and generally not even then. Slice up a lot of people in your basement, while holding down a job, OK, then you are likely to get run past a psychiatrist.

Well, a believer in capitalism is open to the same kind of inquiry and really, rather vulnerable to it.

16. Doreen Valued Senior Member

A very, very good chance some of there are/were.

My main points are 2.

1) Insanity is creative in and of itself.
    2) Many creative people have suffered from and/or been diagnosed with a variety of mental illnesses - see for example Touched with Fire, Manic-Depressive Illness and the Creative Temperment, which was written by a clinical psychologist.

If you have a creative mind, you tend NOT to take things for granted that other people do. This has benefits, but it can also have a down side - often especially from the point of view of others.

To be full blown insane, or at least be diagnosed as psychotic, etc., tends to cause or be part of so many problems people have trouble sitting down to work at anything. But to be considered mentally ill and be creative....I would guess the odds go up. And many who are insane at one point in their lives are quite creative at other times.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  17. M00se1989 Banned Banned

If given the choice depressed or insane. I would choose the latter and find an expression for my insanity.

Jump off a cliff saying, "this may be where I die, but it is also where I live!" and emerge from the water with only the emotion of joy to fill a state of understanding with the world around me.

cliff jumping:

scary? maybe. insane? may be considered for some.

I speak purely metaphorically of corse.

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Sure, taking things as they are presented to you and not questioning it or seeing other possibilities can save you a lot of grief.

If it is worth the trade is another matter.

But the issue is generally moot.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

What on Earth makes you think that you'd be capable of "finding an expression for your insanity"?
    What on Earth makes you think that there would be a method of doing so?

If you are insane you may be physically/ mentally incapable of making that decision.
    If you are insane you could end up making mud pies with the utter conviction that what you're really doing is sculpting masterpieces.

Surely part of being insane is being incapable of choosing to behave in a particular way.

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Are sane people actually sane?

I mean, they voted for Bush - or Obama, whichever candidate you think is insane to vote for. Normal sane people thing that buying certain products make them cool or OK. They think almost any divergent behavior is 'weird' : read sinful, negative, crazy. They go to malls a lot. They watch soap operas without at least having some ironic take on them. They read gossip magazines. They think they are well informed by newpapers and tv news. They have very interesting ideas about what men and women are.

I could go on.

To me what regularly passes for sanity looks very loony.

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Interesting article. I noted a definite implication that creativity causes mental illness.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Huh?
    I agree if you're referring (sort of) solely to this:
    But even that sentence includes insanity without creativity - i.e. if many who are insane at one point are creative (at all) then surely that means those not included in the many are "merely" insane - e.g. without the creativity.

Insanity can be creative, but once again, is the insanity the "cause" of the creativity or is it the other way round?

From post #10:
    Creativity without a suitable/ workable outlet leads to insanity (or at least I can see that happening) but insane doesn't necessarily mean creative.
    Perhaps.

23. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Paranoia, as one example amongst many, is seeing a pattern that others do not see. You create that pattern - or it is not a delusion.

Sure. But I think the OP is stacking the deck. Insanity is not really a description of a mind, though you'd think so. It's more like saying - this person cannot function in society. Cannot function. If you can't function, well, it's hard to be creative. Now cannot function can also mean you like eating people's livers and fresh ones. Here you may be also together enough to even hold down a job. I have no idea if these kinds of psychopaths are more or less creative than most people. I do think there is a fairly decent correlation between mental disorder diagnosis and creativity, however. So yes, the extreme end of what we think of as abnormal and problematic mental activity may not be especially creative - except in the sense I used above in relation to my example paranoia. However being closer to that end of the spectrum probably does correlate with creativity.

I think I am implicitly asking that question.