Creating the worlds strongest sword?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

It's fiction now, but as science advances, we may very well be able to forge a blade that is precisely 1 molecule wide, at least the edge. You could potentially slice shit apart easily with such a weapon, but it's unrealistic as of the present, but who knows what the future might bring, eh?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

You'd have a brittle blade, a slippery handle (especially if it ever got blooded), and the crossguard would give your sword horrbile balance, not to mention it would be soft and useless.

European armies that actually won anything weren't just conscripts with guns, but well trained individuals that stood 30' from another man with a gun and traded shots.

Imagine having to reload in a bloodsoaked battlefield, dead camrades at your feet, the shouts and moans of dying men all about you, and the enemy firing another volley as you ram the ball down your musket. You had to stand there and take it like a man as you reloaded.

Takes some balls.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah that dragonslayer sword looks like it will be something interesting.
    i hea there going to make a songle sword of its ind then auction it off, but obviousl once its made then other blades of its nature will follow.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Almost any modern metalurgist could tell you the best (or close to the best) material and methods for making a sword. This is no longer leading edge technology.

8. Facial Valued Senior Member

You could use laminated molecular carbon. Too bad we don't have that yet.

In the meantime, I prefer maraging steel or some of that zirconium-yttrium-niobium-titanium-copper alloy that resists crack propagation.

9. antifreeze defrosting agent Registered Senior Member

why not just make a plasma sword like in that one movie? :bugeye:

10. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

First OFF you guys are all wrong!!!What you don't realize is that "STRENGTH"and "SHARPNESS" are two different Scalor quantities!!!

If you wanted THE STRONGEST SWORD EVER, you would have to try and figure out how to harvest the "RAW NUCLEI" that is found in very small amounts inside atoms of any given molecular substance!!!

If you could some how figure how to do that, seeing how it has never been done. Hypothetically you could forge a sword thats lets say 500,000,000X the strength of steel. That being said you would not be able to lift it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, a sword the sive of your average katana would likely way more than a single continent

so....Obviously my numbers are not accurate since I am only a student and not a physicist.

Now in regard to the PLASMA sword idea or the Molecule Sword guy, both would be ridiculous. For a plasma sword to be made the closest thing i could think of would be like a "Light Saber", because you would need to control something as powerfull and aslo as evasive as LIGHTNING, or would need some king of Ultra fast vibration that would produce extreme heats in a controlled manner such as how a Blow Torch controls a flame. To the Molecule guy not sure if a sword the width of 1 molecule would be handled correctly, just as the average joe would kill hime self wit a light saber fro star wars...

11. Roman Banned Banned

Eh? Are you suggesting putting a whole ton of protons and neutrons together very closely? What's "RAW NUCLEI"? That's some real nice pseudoscientific jargon.

This does not assure any sort of strength. First, with that many particles together, your sword (other than weighing tons) would go critical and a large nuclear explosion would follow. Second, density does not assure that something is strong. Lead, for instance, is quite dense but very weak. Gold is also soft. Third, assuming your "RAW NUCLEI" are just protons and neutrons, your hypothetical material would be highly reactive as it would be a huge sink for electrons. The material would probably be the most acidic thing in the world.

12. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

I recognize my reaoning is off as i anticipated before i posted, but you are wrong here my friend "Raw Nuclie" Isn't "PsuedoScience" just go to your bookshelf and crank out your Physics textbook and search

!!!

13. Roman Banned Banned

Maybe there's a langauge misunderstanding? I've never heard of raw nuclei, and according to google, they haven't heard of it either. It's also not on wikipedia.

Do you think you could explain to me what you mean by raw nuclei?

14. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

Well i was reffering to the "Atomic Nucleus", where i got 'Raw' i don't know maybe i was confusing another term used in bio science, but i am talking aboutthe little Nucleus that makes up a quadrillionith of an atoms volume. It is called "Bare atomic Nucleir" so maybe i substituted Raw for Bare

. Anyway you are right in respect to the Thermonuclear fusion reaction that would occur, but that is why i say "IF" you could figure out how to mix the molecules past the resistance of repulsion and somehow avoid nulear fusion

you would win a nobel prize

15. Roman Banned Banned

So basically you're making stuff up. I wish you lived closer so you could choke on your teeth.

16. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

True.

OK since the molecule sword was such a bad idea, I have another one....... how about the Sievert Sword

Picture this---- make blade of out something that's pretty light and sturdy like titanium. It's my understanding that titanium is hard to work with, but due to the nature of this weapon, it's not meant to be particularly sharp.
    Next, contaminate blade so that it emits really huge amounts of ionizing radiation (maybe sit it next to an unsheilded reactor for a while?).

Enemy combatants who dared come close to the man wielding the sievert sword would face certain death. The sword would be 'super strong' as a deterrant.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  17. Roman Banned Banned

When you solder titanium you have to do it in an oxygenless environment.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i didnt know that roman, how would your average joe forge a titanium sword?

19. Roman Banned Banned

He wouldn't.

20. JFS321 Antioxidant Man Registered Senior Member

""you do know you shouldent use more than 2 clips in a gun consecutively without cleaning it? you know semi automatics are unreliable?""

In response to this, it is total BS. I have been shooting firearms my entire life and unless you made the gun yourself semiautos are very reliable...and you can shoot as many damn clips as you want, but it's a good idea to clean the gun before storing it for a while. Quit spreading this ignorance.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so your telling me you shouldent clean your semi auto after using it? only when your going to store it for a long time? and your telling me that my gun didnt jam after 2 clips? and no before you say anything i didnt cock it foolishly or more than once, and no i didnt do anything bad to it, it just jammed because of the gunpowder residue that stays in there when you fire a clip, dont accuse me of spreading ignorance please man, it isnt ignorance if it happend to me is it?, and im sure if you ask about more you will find others where there guns have jammed after only a couple of clips,

and no man semi autos are not "very reliable" if anything there the most unreliable gun apart from full automatics, and obviously those old musket pieces of shit, if you want a gun thats reliable go get a 45 magnum.

peace

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so theres no chance of me ever owning a titanium sword or anything like this?

23. JFS321 Antioxidant Man Registered Senior Member

EmptyForce... your gun may have jammed but it was a random mishap...I clean my gun after every day I shoot but I promise you 2 clips worth of powder residue wouldn't be enough to do anything at all...you really think a bullet would be stopped by a few powder grains in the barrel?