Creating Elements

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Thoreau, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Ok, after I long discussion and explaining the chemical process of photosynthesis to a friend the other day, he asked me a question which I don't have an answer for.

Do we have the technology to create or destroy basic elements? I know it sounds like a really simple question but I honestly don't know the answer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yes. Nuclear reactors do exactly that. Also, we can create helium from alpha particles emitted from radioactive nucleii and electrons.

Nuclear reactors harness the ability of emitted neutrons to trigger an element to split into two others, so we are creating two different elements via fission of another with a larger atomic number, comme ça;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So if that were Uranium 235 being hit by a neutron;

(92)U[235] + (0)n[1] -----> (56)Ba[141] + (36)Kr[92] +3{ (0)n[1] } + energy

() is atomic no. and [] is atomic mass.

We'd have created Barium and Krypton by splitting Uranium.

Also, the atomic number of an element can be increased by treating it with alpha particles;

(13)Al [27]+ (2)He[4] ==> (0)n[1] + (15)P[30]

So here we bombard Aluminium with alpha particles to create phosphorous.

Helium is created naturally by radioactive emission of alpha particles, in fact, all the Helium in our atmosphere has come about this way. Helium is very light, and boils off into space easily, so the only reason we have it present still, is because it's continually made through radioactive decay, and the amount we have in our atmosphere is a balance of it being created and lost.

We can't however make electrons, protons, and neutrons, and assemble them into elements, yet. All we can do is take nucleii as building blocks, and make or break them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Interesting. I always wondered what will happen when we can create complete elements. What happens when the day comes and we can create gold? I imagine it would be illegal first of all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

I imagine it would be very expensive, and not worth the expense.

I mean, we can create diamonds in the lab, but it hasn't seen a glut of cheap diamonds on the market, and it's a far simpler process making diamonds. Just carbon under pressure, and heat. Bingo, diamonds.

9. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

10. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

You realize that 21 elements in the periodic table are man made?

http://www.smianalytical.com/periodic-table.html

"Ninety-four elements exist in nature. Element 94 is Plutonium {Pu} . Scientists have spent 60 years creating elements in the lab, registering 21 man made elements so far. ( Element 43: Technetium and Element 61: Promethium are often considered man made, but ultra-low traces of both elements have been found in certain Pitchblende Ores, Pitchblende is a naturally occuring Uranium ore. ) Some of the more recent manufactured elements are so unstable that they disintegrated in milliseconds. Since the sixties, scientists have theorized that around element 114 an "island of stability" will exist. Around this island the half-life of element 114 should be measured in years not milli-seconds."

11. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I didn't know that. My apologies but I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to chemistry. Thank for posting. Love learning new things.

12. BigFairy Hi Im Big Fairy! Registered Senior Member

But we cannot 'make' elemental hydrogen itself yet, can we?

13. kurros Registered Senior Member

Sure we can. We can crash electrons-positron pairs together hard enough to create protons, which can be collected and paired with some electrons to make hydrogen. Kind of pointless though.

14. soullust Registered Senior Member

hey how do you produce synthetic THC, i figured it would be a good example for in here ?

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Bad example, the above would be a chemical synthesis, when the topic is nuclear synthesis.

16. soullust Registered Senior Member

Lmao

17. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

The proper term would be "nucleosynthesis".

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, but I didn't want to get too technical with the naming conventions when he made such a basic error!

19. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

i've turned hydrogen into helium before

20. soullust Registered Senior Member

oh nice, at what temperature?

21. BigFairy Hi Im Big Fairy! Registered Senior Member

by the look of your avatar, you've turned water into wine too

22. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

Anti-hydrogen has been made in accelerators before. I'm not sure how long it lasted.

Helium has been made, but that was in thermonuclear/hydrogen bombs.