Cosmology is in crisis – but not for the reason you may think

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by BdS, Jan 8, 2016.

1. brucep Valued Senior Member

It's not as speculative as you think. Modern cosmological models make predictions that are falsifiable. A key word is modern. It's not something most amateurs keep up with and many seem to think modern cosmology begins and ends with the classical Big Bang theory. The confirmation bias is bullshit. It's just a way to make scientists look as stupid as him. How many people do you know who intentionally disrespect empirical procedures resulting in fraud. Physics.org is a widely read joke. More conspiracy crank bullshit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The usual pathetic god driven nobody that gets nil recognition or preaching space anywhere else!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Irresistible? The only irresistible scenario I can ever envisage with your posts is that apparent medical condition: You know...delusions of grandeur.
    Oh, and of course laughter, as attributed to

In actual fact my friend there is an old saying, you may not have heard it in India:
    It goes like this: Self Praise is no recommendation......and of course the thing now obviously eating away at your craw, Is that you well know your peers on this forum, including myself, have a far more harsher opinion of you.

This may help:
    delusion
    [dĕ-loo´zhun]
    a false belief that is firmly maintained in spite of incontrovertible and obvious proof to the contrary and in spite of the fact that other members of the culture do not share the belief. adj., adj delu´sional.
    bizarre delusion one that is patently absurd, with no possible basis in fact.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

8. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

I had almost forgotten how annoying your "trolling paddo"-posts were, dmoe. Thanks for the reminder.

brucep likes this.
  9. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Fair enough. However I did not mean to suggest it was all speculation by any means.

And, having now looked at the abstract of the original Arxiv publication that the Phys.org article was based on, I can see what you mean. The caution regarding a possible risk of confirmation bias was a single sentence: " However, care must be taken to avoid the effects of confirmation bias, which may be affecting recent measurements of dark energy parameters." and was little more than a footnote to the abstract.

Totally unjustified to write a sensational article about a "crisis" on this basis.

What is Phys.org by the way and why does it do this sort of thing? Should we start a thread on it, perhaps, to inform other readers?

11. brucep Valued Senior Member

Personally I think the last 30 years of cosmological research has been one of the best 30 years in modern physics. Theoretically and experimentally. So when I read crank nonsense [making comment that are clearly misinformed to serve some crank delusion] it flat out pisses me off. So I apologize for you having to say fair enough. Phys.org publishes articles associated with science journalism. They seem to enjoy publishing authors that don't know what hey're talking about. Authors that have a crank axe to grind. Or who are into sensationalism - scholarship. That may be a bit harsh to include all the authors in such a category but the - scholarship seems to be a constant from one article to the next. I don't look to them for any information associated with what's happening in science. The originator of this thread ..... What can I say? Trying to start the bullshit path.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No adhoms, just the usual facts: Self praise is certainly no recommendation"

Did I forget to mention that? I'm mortified!!

Best of luck my dearest friend!

13. BdS Registered Senior Member

you are not capable of discussing anything.
    I'll refrain from commenting on that.
    The article was interesting so I posted it and didnt comment because I wanted to see what your opinions where. Now your butts sucking a nipple in your seat...

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yep, I also remember the sensationalistic headlines about Hawking and no BH's: Your whole post hits the truth fair square on the head.
    It makes no difference anyway what these poor suffering loons need to say about science: No one is listening that matters!
    We can be thankful that we appear to have the vast majority of them here: Most are banned from other forums, and at least its keeping them out of the hair of our real cosmologists and scientists out there at the coal face.

15. BdS Registered Senior Member

Hello Captain Senile, How are you?
    The usual pathetic NO god driven nobody that gets nil recognition or preaching space anywhere else! Right back at you!
    If you can preach then so can I.
    Scientist dont know where the universe comes from and never will... but its really simple GOD created it! yes paddo I got my OWN OPINION AND INVOLVES GOD in the picture. Dont fall for their deluded opinions that there is no GOD, because there is just as much evidence for a GOD than no GOD so its an open ended question... Only a OCD crank would keep bring it up?

Sorry that I wont just accept your stupidity paddo. It grinds you that I got freedom and am allowed to say what I want, do what I want, believe what I want (without persecution, but the mods let you persecute me for having my own opinion) and I wont let you preach to me, because you think you're going to cure me with your smoke a mirrors? I have my own brain, my own eyes and can come to my own opinion without considering your say. I dont force my opinion on you, or mock your opinion, but you try force yours on me? You just the same as that ISIS lot... and with that level of OCD you probably have a no GOD "religious" cult in you back yard...

All HALE paddoboy the DICTATOR!

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Senile? Dictator? So funny you are.
    This is a science forum, and when fools and such come here for one reason, [that is to inflame and rage against science] you will probably get what you came for.
    Your mythical god and anyone else's mythical deity is not a scientific explanation. And as you already know, is now to a large extent superfluous and unnecessary.
    If that hurts you, I'm sorry. It is quite factual though. [see the certainty of evolution]
    On your rather ignorant comment re the universe and not knowing where it came from, you then go and jump on your silly god myth...how ironic!
    We do have rather speculative scientific ideas though, and our scientists are working diligently to further enhance these ideas.
    Here's one....
    https://www.astrosociety.org/publications/a-universe-from-nothing/
    A Universe from Nothing
    by Alexei V. Filippenko and Jay M. Pasachoff

Insights from modern physics suggest that our wondrous universe may be the ultimate free lunch.
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

But hey my troubled friend...Do not take it too much to heart: All I try and do is refute your nonsensical take on reality: If you chose to believe in Santa Claus, then you go right ahead! And I'll fight for your right to believe in that Santa Claus, OK??

All hail Santa Claus...and Bds..and Jesus!..and Budda!...and Shiva!!!...and, and, and, Ummmmmmm

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Just trying to help you out dear friend.......

and this profound bit by imho the greatest educator of our time......

18. BdS Registered Senior Member

A hypothesis from nothing is all you got, mine explains the rest... Yours cant because energy cant be created or destroyed in your theory... Mine says GOD can create energy I cant explain it, but I know... Thank you GOD! for all you have created for us to take a ride on, Im really enjoying it... I know everytime I take a breath, open my eyes in the morning that something like this cant come from nothing, its against the laws of physics....

19. BdS Registered Senior Member

My faith is too strong, those cranks cant help you with their speculation...

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I do use physorg to keep abreast of all new science. In that regard it is pretty good. The changes that need to be made is the rather emotional enthusiastic journalist, who probably is not as well versed in the subject matter as he should be.
    Who can forget the sensationalistic headlines, "Hawking says BH's Do Not Exist!"
    One needs to read through the over hype and bullshit and get to the substance.
    But of course with the cranks and no bodies that frequent this forum, they do not do this: Rather they grab and latch on as a means of pushing their own personal agenda, and to obviously get a raise and reaction from those truly interested in science.
    I may try going to church next Sunday, and stand up and tell all the congregation, that their silly god is nothing more than a silly childish myth...I wonder how far I would get?

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So is god....all of them!

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://www.astrosociety.org/publications/a-universe-from-nothing/
    Quantum theory, and specifically Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, provide a natural explanation for how that energy may have come out of nothing. Throughout the universe, particles and antiparticles spontaneously form and quickly annihilate each other without violating the law of energy conservation. These spontaneous births and deaths of so-called “virtual particle” pairs are known as “quantum fluctuations.” Indeed, laboratory experiments have proven that quantum fluctuations occur everywhere, all the time. Virtual particle pairs (such as electrons and positrons) directly affect the energy levels of atoms, and the predicted energy levels disagree with the experimentally measured levels unless quantum fluctuations are taken into account.

23. BdS Registered Senior Member

And yet again! THEY ARE FREE TO POST AND BELIEVE WHAT THEY LIKE! why should you dictate what they are allowed to post or believe? They are free and you hate it! Go ahead and boycott them yourself by not reading their news then, you'll show them! Im sure lol...