construction

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by bigger-t, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigger-t Registered Member

i am putting in a second storey floor and will like to know ways to do it and materials that can be used.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hardalee Registered Senior Member

You need to get with an engineer, architect or contractror, depending on what you need and where you are.

Your question is too involved for any meaningful answer.

Given more informatoin concerning the existing building, foundations and soils, earthquake or wind exposre, I might offer some suggestions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bigger-t Registered Member

it is an apartment building. plans call for bar joist but says there are other ways to do it wood is not accepted

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

This really isn't the type of question that can be answered on a message board. There are just to many variables.

You would probably first need to get a building inspector to look at the existing structure, and determine if can even support a 2nd story. Then get an architect to draw up the design. Then hire a contractor to build it.

8. hardalee Registered Senior Member

You need professional help. This is not someting anyone without a great deal of experience can do.

Foundatons for a one story and two story are usually diffrent, minimum ones for the one story often do not work for a two story depending on soil conditions and local building codes.

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Sock it to Me baby . Spans wall to wall , Locations of footings . You got to determine which walls can be used for barring , If they are not you need to brake up the span and but additional footing in to compensate for long of spans .

O.K. if you live by a Home depot or Lowes it is pretty easy . You can get a floor truss chart that will give you maximum distance at what width the floor truss needs to be . Like for example a 14" I joist can span about a 20' room . 9 and a half inch BCI or TJI can span about 16' . Me personally would span it about 14' but I don't like spongy floors even though the load is o.k. for a 16 ' span .

So the important part is : How big do the Truss Joist I beams got to be , How far apart you going to put them and what thickness sub floor you gonna use . Then other considerations are : Soaking tubes full of water are they going to exceed loads or any other anomalies that add additional weight not accounted for . Like Viking commercial /residential Appliances if there is kitchen .

My best advice is to higher a professional . Don't take the low bid if you satisfaction , cause there reason they are the low bidder . You get what you pay for .

Now Me personally likes dimensional lumber over man made products of oriented strand boards any day . The vibration of an I joist can cause additional noise amplification and to tell you the truth it can drive a home owner fucking nuts enough to hound a contractor for years to come after a project has been completed . Noise transmitting on I joists have not been that well documented compared to good old dimensional lumber . We try to say it is the same and sound deadening with the same techniques will give you the same results , but evidence is lacking . The Sales Man will tell you all is a O.K. and get the fucking contractor side ways with an owner .
    So Ask and you shall receive . What are the spans your looking at ?

10. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

That is not necessarily true . Most modern foundations can handle 2 stories. Not a big deal most the time . If you got an older house it needs to be a consideration cause some of the old house may have a concrete wall but no footing and then you got future problems . It needs to be established by physical evaluation before that is determined

11. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

where do you live ? Never heard of a bar joist ? Some ones personal material description ? You have plans already then ? Why can't you use wood ? Even steal building have wood , Concrete too ? O.K. concrete floors , Steal I beams and a corrugated metal sheathing . Your steal beams depending on spans and such can be oh about 8 feet apart maybe more and then your corrugated metal can span the distance between with the ribbing running perpendicular to the steal beams . Put in a rebar grid suspended half way up in the pour . 18" by 18" grid maybe 12" grid if unsure. Then pour your concrete on top of that of the thickness of 3 and a Half inches .

Disclaimer :Restrictions in your area may differ as building codes are localized to reflect the conditions of the area your are building . Obtain all necessary permits and zoning compliance requirements from your Governing bodies . Mekigal negates any responsibility of your bodily harm or structural harm done to any building said people obtain from this post. To include every body of the human race . Don't sue Me if you fuck up

12. hardalee Registered Senior Member

I enjoy your posts. As a structural engineer, I disagree with this one. We are not talking about a house but an appartment.

Anyway, the information provided is insufficent for any reasonable answer.

Kind Regards,

Hardalee

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Oh I know your type !! Yeah !! What do you think about the disability act of I forget 92 I think . That might be the first question . If it falls into a specific time span it mot needs to be retrofitted for handicap excess-ability . Aye Captain ? What you think ? We need an Architect to crack this puppy .

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Your best solution is to call your local building and zoning department and ask them what you can and can't do. They know what the codes are and how it should be done and are there to help you in cases like this, good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.