Congratulations SpaceX

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by billvon, May 25, 2012.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No, besides, if you were paying attention to the conversation you would have observed that Rhaedas commented that Dragonrider was going to be utilizing autodocking.

Lemme ask you something though, what precisely do you have against the use of Canadarm2 for docking?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

I'm all for having multiple vendors. Eggs in one basket and all that. But even when/if they get things running and make it to the ISS, it is a more limited vessel than Dragon.

They are working on automatic approach systems to the ISS, but I fail to see why using the arm that was put there for that purpose is some type of failure. An arm that Cygnus will be using also, btw.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

3) Well momentum dump for one thing that ISS has to do after using Canadaarm2
    2) Heavy use of Canadaarm2 for other uses like ISS repair
    3) I propose a second arm for contingency operations and fail-safe mechanism where S/C ACS are no good

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

That's cool, we'll just get the next space shuttle up there with...oh snap.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

oh snap what? Space Shuttle program was a huge waste of money, I am happy they are turning to more efficient launch options, in order for Space Shuttle program to be efficient for cost of launch per mass it would need to have done more than 30 launches per year. Falcon program is a right step in a right direction.

9. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

1) you missed the joke there
    2) I agree

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That contrived and silly, How do ships dock at sea? Do they they crash into each other such that latched hook on? No they throw over lines and pull each other close in. Having the stations robotic arm pluck cargo capsules is safer and better then impact docking. It also allow the use of the larger Common berthing mechanism over the smaller docking mechanism.

SpaceX is way further along, Orbital has yet to launch Cygnus or the rocket that carries it.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

NASA paid out over 200 billion dollars for the space shuttle program in adjusted dollars (not including cargo)! That $1.5 billion dollars per flight. NASA paid SpaceX $278 million to developed the Dragon Cargo, and paid 1.6 billion for 12 flights, that is a total cost of 158 million per flight, nearly 1/10 the space shuttle. SpaceX says they may need $0.8-1 billion to develop and test the crewed version of dragon, but the final price per flight is unknown, using its development price as a rough and likely gross overestimate (price is usually a factor of lbs to orbit, since the space shuttle weighed 68 tons unloaded and up to ~90 ton with cargo its price tag makes some since, Dragon will weight less then 15 tons fully loaded) we might say a crewed dragon will cost 4 times as much as its cargo version, that still a bargain compared to the space shuttle!

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

This just...

I don't even know where to start...

Your objections are nothing short of absurd...

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I´m not sure what you consider "automatic docking sysem" but the Chinese delivery craft sent to their growing space station, was not manned for the first and successful docking with it. Because of the time delays, and posibility that docking might need to occur far from line-of-sight to China, I assume there was very little control from the ground. I think they gave some details of a laser controlled docking system, but I foreget them. Also a few years ago, they did a very "hard docking" when they hit and destroyed one of their satellites with a rocket under full automatic controll - mainly to show the West, they could take out any satelite they wanted too.

14. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Seems youreyes is all seeing AND all knowing.

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

We were specifically discussing the ISDS.

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That was not mentioned or clear to me in your post about who had automatic docking systems. I was just adding to your list the fact that the Chinese have one too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Do you really want to go down that path?

The thread is discussing SpaceX.

Let me paraphrase the conversation that I was having that provides context:

Youreyes: "The mission (to the ISS) was a failure, they had to use canadarm2 to rescue the dragon capsule"
    Me: "The mission profile was always to use canadarm2 to berth the dragon capsule to the ISS, only the russian progress and the ESA ATVs use automated docking to dock to Zhevezda."

And that's where your post comes in.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

but you listing automatic docking systems, not related to SpaceX and said "ONLY"
    Again I was only noting that there was another "not- SpaceX" automatic docking system you did not list, but no I don´t want to "go down that path" what ever that means. I just added the Chinese to your "only" list (to make it more correct).

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Apparently you do want to go down that path again, or you would acknowledge your error or drop the point.

What I said was:
    "...Only... ...use automated systems to dock to Zhevezda(sic)."
    I mis-spelt Zvezda, however, the list is not a list of vehicles that are capable of using automated docking procedures, it's a list of vehicles that use automated docking procedures to dock to the Zvezda Service Module on the ISS. By adding the chinese to the list, you're adding a nation that is not a member of the project, does not dock with the ISS and therefore does not use the Zvezda module to do so automatically.

You're making the list less correct, not more correct.

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Well done, again:

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

"SpaceX rocket landing: 'close, but no cigar' is title of article here:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/10/7522459/spacex-falcon-9-rocket-launch-failure-close-no-cigar
    Part of the text there: "SpaceX's attempt at landing a rocket on a barge in the Atlantic Ocean ended in failure this morning. After a successful launch, the uncrewed Falcon 9 rocket hit the drone spaceport ship (also known as a barge), but landed too hard, says SpaceX co-founder Elon Musk. The launch, which took place 4:47AM ET, was SpaceX's fifth cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station — the cargo capsule, Dragon, should reach ISS on Monday morning. But the landing was the leg of the mission that was supposed to make history."

Again I say: congratulations Musk and better luck next time.