Commander Data - Did He Deserve To Die?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by darksidZz, Jun 15, 2007.

?

Multiple Choice

Poll closed Jun 22, 2007.
  1. Data's death was a good idea and added more to the story

42.9%
  2. Data's death was a terrible idea, what were they thinking?

57.1%
  3. The cast was crazy to let them kill Data off; If I'd been on the cast I wouldn't have allowed it

21.4%
  4. Brent Spiner wanted Data to die and that's the only reason he did

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

When Data was assembled by his creator, Noonien soong, there were very delicate processes that he had to calibrate, that knowledge and how he put everything together was lost when he died.
    In the book set right after data died, people wanted to disassemble B4 in order to build data as he was an early prototype. . . .
    So if you replicate everything that data was made of ( the computer image didn't capture how everything worked together, just what was there) you wouln't know what or where to begin.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You know what I would've liked, something like from that outer limits episode with Mary. That synthetic women robot that could have sex... god she was hot and would've been a very good lay, man god help me....

Oh yea the 1 thing I love about that episode more than anyother, first look here http://www.theouterlimits.com/episodes/season4/414.htm you'll see some stuff about it. Anyway in the unedited version Mary 25 is told to go recharge, she enters the bathroom and later in the night the guy comes... he's like "mary, are you there" and stuff.. she's like "yes" and he tells her to get on the sink thing, anyway they eventually end up having sex, he uses her like the Valerie robot was used, she bangs him good and he tells her "you're programmed to anticipate right, so do it" and she listens... lmao God I love that, she drops her clothing, he's like "are you fully functional" and she's like "yes" and stuff, lmao

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Data has had sexual relations with Natasha Yar
    unfortunately for you, there was no uncensored version.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BoSmoke Mr Ganja Lover Registered Senior Member

That would be eediat shit. Star Trek should let its dead rest in peace now and again. Not like Spock or Tasha...

His mother android certainly did. She looked and felt human and thought she WAS human, though she was advanced design more than Data.. he might have some early version of her aging program.

I voted his death was good for the story. Not that he deserved it, but in war tragic shit does happen and a main character should be just as mortal as any red-shirted extras.. Everyone thought Data would out live all his friends, so HIS early death was maybe more tragic and poignat than anyone else wouldve been. :bawl:

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

That would completely invalidate the transporter. It has to disassemble and re-assemble everything down to the finest level of each synapse. People arrive alive, not needing CPR, the transporter somehow maintains the state of the body;alive during the process. That said, if there is an image for comparison, it should be able to be recreated, alive.

9. BoSmoke Mr Ganja Lover Registered Senior Member

Thatd be bad for story telling, if you could just bring back dead people from transporter records, like back ups of computer files.

The ships transport tech can make food or tools or machine parts from its records - but those arent alive, even if theyr made of protein & sugars or whatever. Maybe the transporter could re create a DEAD copy of someone, but not a LIVING one with a working mind & all its memories. Youd need far finer stored information for that.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Good point, i guess his death was necessary, but the transporter assembles biological patterns, maybe they can't do artificial . ....
    Also, yes, Data death was necessary it did add more to the story by making the U.S.S Titan possible.

11. Hard For Kirk Registered Senior Member

he was soo dull

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

He was FUNNY. ... its like the random guy in real life situations who doesn't get a common reference or something. He added more to the story than some of the other characters.

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

If Data was so smart why couldn't he fix the holodeck so those oh so funny little mishaps didn't happen?

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Because the mishaps were caused by unknown factors, give him a technical problem, he;ll fix it. however its more of a plot, with the holodeck etc.

15. BoSmoke Mr Ganja Lover Registered Senior Member

So much shit happend on holodecks theyshould have been banned to save lives, same as basejumping!

16. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

That's why I loved the Futurama parody, where Zap Brannigan's holodeck malfunctioned making "history's greatest villains" come to life: Attila the Hun, Jack the Ripper, Professor Moriarty, and "Evil Lincoln."

Professor Moriarty remarked: "Righto gents, it's another simulation gone mad, murder and mayhem, standard procedure."

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Or driving.

18. BoSmoke Mr Ganja Lover Registered Senior Member

Come on though, we NEED driving. Star Fleet dont need holodecks that make real conscious bad guys who try taking over the ship!

19. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

Data sucks

20. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You're wrong

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i didnt know data died,

peace.

22. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

no im right

23. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Whadda you know ?

You got waxed by a guy with red & black face paint...

Sort of an evil clown...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!