Colorblindness

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Enmos, Mar 22, 2008.

?

Are you colorblind ?

1. I am male and are colorblind.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. I am female and are colorblind.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am male and are not colorblind.

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  4. I am female and are not colorblind.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A friend of mine back in the 1960s was disqualified because he had had really bad acne as a teenager so his skin was not smooth enough to make a good seal with pressurized goggles. He spent a fortune and endured a lot of pain in cosmetic surgery; his face looked like it was sunburned for weeks. But they couldn't fix it. I don't know if that's something they can do better today.
    There is no such color as "navy blue." It's just black. It's something women do to trick us. They have all these words for imaginary colors like ecru and puce.
    Is that supposed to show us what the world looks like to a colorblind person? There is no red OR green in it. If red and green are indistinguishable to them I'd assume that they both look like a shade of brown. I'd assume those leaves are either green or an autumn color--brown, yellow, red, orange, something like that, not blue or purple. But since AFAIK colorblind people can see brown and yellow (orange also?) then they must be either green or red, unless this is a scene from another planet where chlorophyll does not exist.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Actually that was a IR shifted images, here is another

One on the left is Normal RGB, on the right is UV-Violet-IR

but a "what the world looks to color blind" image can be made by simply removing one of the RGB values from any image. But what colors a red-green color blind see is probably yellow and blue, example:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

As a kid my drawings showed purple skies, brown leaves and gras, and green bark.

When you are red-green colorblind you don't see red and green as gray, it's just hard to differentiate. Often when my mistake is pointed out I do see the real color.
    Also, it is difficult for me to name any color of very small things or far away things.

I confuse blues and purples, yellows and greens, greens and reds, reds and browns and sometimes browns and greens. Though I can accurately name the 'standard' hues, like fire engine red or grass green. No probs there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html
    I can't see any but the "12" and very vaguely the "8", the "56" this person claims seeing is invisible to me.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Most non-colorblind people do, I noticed..

They call something black when I clearly see that it's blue.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I can't make out any of those, except the first of course.

Red

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It's not that they see more shades, it's that they see different shades. Camouflage was designed to fool people with normal vision, so it doesn't work as well on the color blind.

In fact, it's postulated that color blindness persists at such a high level in human populations because having one color blind person in a hunting group would help the group see things they otherwise wouldn't. The same thing applied in WW2 when they found that having one color blind person in a group improved their ability to analyze photos.

It's not that their vision is somehow superior, it's that their different aray of photoreceptors perceives things differently. Hell, that's the way we test for colorblindness. The colorblind person can't see the plates people with normal color vision can see, but there are other plates the color blind can see that people with normal vision can not. Same deal with the camouflage.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

never knew that mad, i thought that they just saw red and green as EXACTLY the same colour

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Not many of them. The vast majority of the "color blind" can see every color, they just can't see a certain color as well as others. That is to say, they are anomalous trichromats. There are some dichromats who only see two colors. There are even a few true monochromats who see in black and white, but most of them are also legally blind and suffer from nystagmus.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

did you know red\green is MUCH more common than blue colour blindness?

also red\green is stored on the x cromisone and there for there is a high chance a guy will have it if his mother is a carrier but blue is stored somewhere else and much less common. For a girl to be red green color blind requires her father to be as well as her mother to be at least a carrier (of course if mum has red green colour blindness all her male will be as well)

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I didn't know that stuff about WWII

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Interesting so did Nietzche.

I voted, I am not colourblind.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable..

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah you 2 are very much alike lol....

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

He isn't colorblind as well, is he ? :fright:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.