Colorado train passengers capture Bigfoot on video

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 14, 2023.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

This is such clear video that it is either a guy sitting in the wilderness in a saquatch suit or it's the real deal.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
    C C likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Hahaha, I knew this would appear here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Looks like a faked video - the quality is awful.

Naturally.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It could be a bona fide witness video of a staged hoax. There's a few red flags:

"...there are scheduled trains that come through here," Mayor said in the video. "Anyone who wanted to pull off a hoax, which is of course unfortunate, would know that there would be a train full of passengers very excited about the sighting of something unusual, something that looks like an elusive creature trying to blend in with the environment."

especially considering

"Not the first time sasquatch sighting has been reported in area"

And

"...the sighting could have been a hoax perpetrated by the nearby Silverton-based RV company Sasquatch Expedition Campers. The company, however, is denying involvement..."

"Capitalizing on the publicity, the company also posted a promotion for new social media followers to be entered into a drawing to win free T-shirts."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/10/13/bigfoot-video-colorado-train/71166686007/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nonsense. It's the usual kind of out-of-focus video we have come to expect for this kind of thing. I'll give you that, in comparison to some UFO and Bigfoot videos, this is a masterpiece of cinema.
    No points for guessing which side of the line you come down on this.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I guarantee that either no one will visit the site at which this was allegedly filmed, perhaps because there is no real location that corresponds to the "landscape" in the video, or that if it is real and they do, they will not find any traces of anything other than human footprints - wearing shoes.

9. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

What do you think the probabilities are for those options?

10. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Halloween marathon continues.

In contrast to that kind of heavily pixelated, loose-fitting, camouflaged apparel with a "hood", this carpentry guy used thick winter wear to produce the BF appearance. The second video doesn't even rely on low resolution distortion, and might be a costume, or else some DIY hybrid between that and wooly, super-insulated coveralls.

He indicates on his site that these are practical joke videos, but some cryptozoology buffs have still presented them on their social media accounts. So maybe he added the "not real" indications after he realized they were being used for that.
    - - - - - - - - - -

At the 2:25 minute mark there's a brief appearance, and then at the 2:57 mark onward.

video link --> Sasquatch, Bigfoot or a Bear?

Below, a passing glimpse in the background at the 3:17 mark and more flagrantly at the 4:00 mark.

video link --> Was that a sasquatch?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  11. Yazata Valued Senior Member

DaveC426913 likes this.
  12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What's the probability of a Sasquatch existing at all, that has been witnessed thousands of times in the forests of Western U.S. and whose distinctive footprints have been cast and collected hundreds of times by scientists including anthropologist Dr. Jeff Meldrum of Idaho State University? These aren't hunters in ghillie suits.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/all-3313-sasquatch-sightings-mapped

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You know what else has been witnessed thousands of times? Hunters in ghillie suits.

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I don't dismiss the likelihood of non-human hominins still existing out there. I see it as a remote possibility.

But I think that in this Colorado case I would weight the "saquatch/ghillie suit hypothesis as more likely in my own estimation.

I'll add that estimating the probabilities of particular hypotheses like this being true seems to me to be largely intuitive. I'm not sure how it could be given more statistical rigor.

C C likes this.
  15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No, it's pretty easy, really.

I have graphed it for analysis:

That's not conclusive, but it provides a real good baseline to start from.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    Pinball1970 and origin like this.
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Zero, for that particular combination of events.
    Well, some of them aren't. Some of them are people dressed up in other costumes.
    Nobody "dismisses the likelihood", if that just means that there's a minuscule non-zero probability that there might be some non-human hominids out there somewhere. But I think you're mincing words, trying to give the false impression that the chances are better than minuscule.

I would rate the chances that space aliens are visiting Earth as higher than the chances of an undiscovered human-sized hominid existing somewhere on Earth in sufficient numbers to maintain a viable breeding population.

More importantly than trying to estimate at neligible probabilities is to consider how much evidence we have for Bigfoot, or space aliens. And, of course, it's not just the quantity of evidence that counts, but the quality.

When it comes to Bigfoot, we have a lot of "evidence" that has been exposed as deliberate hoaxes, and no convincing evidence for any undiscovered non-human hominids.

If you believe that Bigfoot is out there, you'd be better off trying to collect some evidence for it, rather than sitting in your chair ruminating about the universe of remote possibilities.
    Pay attention, Magical Realist!
    You could apply Bayes' theorem, taking into account the fact that no conclusive evidence of Bigfoot has been found in the whole of recorded human history.

You often talk as if estimating probabilities is just guesswork, conducted in a knowledge vaccuum. You pretend that we know nothing about the world to start with, and conclude that if knowledge is a blank slate then we have no way of reliably estimating probabilities. But human knowledge is not a blank slate. We know a lot about our world and what's in it. We know a lot about the sorts of things that might be in it. We know a lot about the conditions that are necessary for sustaining a viable breeding population of hominids. We know that there are very few regions of our world left that are completely unknown to us. We know that Colorado is very well surveyed, for instance. We know that no Bigfoots have ever been found in Colorado. We know all this and more.

17. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I thought the scientific community had pretty much dismissed the claims?
    In terms of a Hominid at least.
    I will have a look.

18. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

We have our own beasts in the UK, the Loch Ness Monster and beast of Bodmin.
    Nessie what ever she is, is not a dinosaur for obvious reasons.
    The beast of Bodmin appears to be a large cat not indigenous to the UK.
    Very unlikely BUT we know big cats are elsewhere on the planet and could have got here somehow.

19. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

From wiki

Scientific view
    Expert consensus is that allegations of the existence of Bigfoot are not credible.[116] Belief in the existence of such a large, ape-like creature is more often attributed to hoaxes, confusion, or delusion rather than to sightings of a genuine creature.[19] In a 1996 USA Today article, Washington State zoologist John Crane said, "There is no such thing as Bigfoot. No data other than material that's clearly been fabricated has ever been presented."[38]

As with other similar beings, climate and food supply issues would make such a creature's survival in reported habitats unlikely.[117] Bigfoot is alleged to live in regions unusual for a large, nonhuman primate, i.e., temperate latitudes in the northern hemisphere; all recognized nonhuman apes are found in the tropics of Africa and Asia. Great apes have not been found in the fossil record in the Americas, and no Bigfoot remains are known to have been found. Phillips Stevens, a cultural anthropologist at the University at Buffalo, summarized the scientific consensus as follows:

It defies all logic that there is a population of these things sufficient to keep them going. What it takes to maintain any species, especially a long-lived species, is you gotta have a breeding population. That requires a substantial number, spread out over a fairly wide area where they can find sufficient food and shelter to keep hidden from all the investigators.[118]

exchemist likes this.
  20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Quite. Almost every culture has its fables about imaginary beasts. Every summer in Britain we get stories in the newspapers about the Loch Ness Monster or the Beast of Bodmin, the latter generally accompanied by a blurry shot of what is fairly obviously a domestic cat, taken at ground level to make it look bigger.

The whole phenomenon seems far more likely to be evidence of an aspect of social psychology, not to mention the need to sell newspapers, rather than of any real unknown creatures.

Proponents of these notions need to come up with some hard, reproducible evidence rather than yet more sodding third-hand YouTube videos.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  21. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Intuition is the last thing one should use.

As per Nessie post we have facts bearing on this, I am not saying this is everyone’s approach but rather than just looking an induvial sighting or photo/vid I factor in the below.

So, Nessie being a dinosaur? How likely is it?

KT extinction eradicated most animals over 50 lbs around 65 million years ago, general consensus (fossil record and geological record of the event, iridium payer, chicxulub crater )

Evidence that dinosaurs were struggling before this and this was the nail in the coffin, conjectured (fossil record, Palynology, geological record)

NO evidence of any (land) dinosaurs surviving after this period, consensus (fossil record)

The Lochs were formed via glacial activity about 10,000 years ago prior to this the whole area was covered with ice as far back as 30,000 years ago.

So, animals from one the warmest periods in the earth’s history survived the KT and took an evolutionary pathway that circumnavigated a 20,000 year freezing of its future habitat leaving no fossil record.

So, we can say the probability is very low before we investigate any sightings.

This is the critical approach, basically listing out the firm and conjectured evidence.

Beast of Bodmin?

Panthers, cougars and other large cats have extant species on parts of the planet, the exist for certain.

Not typical in the UK, habit found in Americas and Asia.

Trend of exotic pets in the UK historically.

Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976: Anyone wishing to keep an animal covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 must apply to their local authority for a license.

The law requires prospective owners of such species to be carefully inspected before they are granted a license.

So, an extant species sighted and photographed in the UK.

History of exotic animals.

Possible incentive to release them in the 70s to avoid legal issues (documented cases of this)

Spike in sightings in the 1980s how special forces were assigned to capture it but without success.

No hard biological evidence as far as I know, droppings, DNA.

So here you can see the evidence is better but the phenomenon could be explained by an escaped or released exotic pet or just a large domestic cat rather than some demonic beast.

22. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

If we set aside the "hominins" classification for a non-human biped, it becomes more than a remote possibility.

In terms of non-fraudulent, legit sightings of a tall, furry creature walking around on two legs, what the label "Bigfoot" can refer to under murky or distant observation conditions is real in the same way that what the word "chupacabra" can refer to is real (hairless coyote suffering from mange).

video link --> Pedals, bipedal bear sighting

video link --> Smarter-than-average black bear wheels trash bin up driveway of Florida home

video link --> Bear opens door to California police facility and walks around inside

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-upright-walking-bear-we-asked-the-experts/

"Could the thousands of reported sightings of bigfoot over the years actually have been walking bears?

People discussing Pedals on Reddit asked or concluded the same thing. So did people on Twitter.

We here at Animalia aren’t authorities on Bigfoot, nor do we vouch for its existence. So we reached out to the experts for some analysis. Bigfoot experts, that is.

And their response could be described as a big, collective eye roll. It turns out that bigfoot believers have heard this idea a million times — because Pedals isn’t the first bear to be seen walking upright — and they have responses ready to shoot it down.

Here’s what Matt Moneymaker, the president of the Bigfoot Field Researchers’ Organization and host of Animal Planet’s “Finding Bigfoot,” told us in an e-mail:

Could this explain bigfoot sightings? The short answer is “no”, not even a little bit. The BFRO has collected thousands of bigfoot-related observations over the years. In not one of those observations was it noted that the witness spotted a figure they thought was a bigfoot but it turned out to be a bear walking on hind legs for an extended period. That would happen quite a bit if it explained even a fraction of bigfoot sightings. On the other hand, it is quite common for witnesses to initially think an upright furry figure is a bear on hind legs until the car gets closer and they realize it is an ape-like figure — a bigfoot (a type of ape)..."​