Coconut water

wegs

Matter and Pixie Dust
Valued Senior Member
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-coconut-water-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

The key though, is to find a brand that isn't loaded with artificial sweeteners, and offers a decent amount of actual coconut water. Drinking from an actual coconut would be best. ;)

Some brands are horrible tasting, so I'll add 6 oz. into a protein smoothie. Any brands that you've tried you'd like to recommend?

Note: While there have been studies done to show that adding coconut water to one's diet may be beneficial in some ways, there is no scientific ''proof'' that it's more hydrating than water.

Last edited:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-coconut-water-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

The key though, is to find a brand that isn't loaded with artificial sweeteners, and offers a decent amount of actual coconut water. Drinking from an actual coconut would be best. ;)

Some brands are horrible tasting, so I'll add 6 oz. into a protein smoothie. Any brands that you've tried you'd like to recommend?

Note: While there have been studies done to show that adding coconut water to one's diet may be beneficial in some ways, there is no scientific ''proof'' that it's more hydrating than water.
I think for hydration, pure water must be best.

Something to do with electrolytes?(something very garbled from my memory)
They will help once in your system, but salt and water I believe actually help the water get digested in the first place.

Then again, my health/nutrition knowledge is all pop* knowledge.

*popular culture, not soft drink

I think for hydration, pure water must be best.
Agreed. It's more of a marketing ''ploy,'' to suggest that anything could hydrate ''better'' than water. Coconut water is often marketed this way, or coconut-infused water.

Agreed. It's more of a marketing ''ploy,'' to suggest that anything could hydrate ''better'' than water. Coconut water is often marketed this way, or coconut-infused water.

WHO Management of Dehydration:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) describes a homemade [oral rehydration solution] with one liter water with one teaspoon salt and six teaspoons sugar..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_of_dehydration

Alberta health:

"...inexpensive rehydration drink...
  • 1 litre purified water
  • ½ teaspoon table salt
  • 6 teaspoons sugar"
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/health/Pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=str2254&lang=en-ca

Mayo Clinic:

"For most people, plain water is best. Depending upon how extensively you exercise, you can consume about half your fluid intake in water and half in a beverage that contains electrolytes and some carbohydrates. The reason you want a beverage that includes both is that when you sweat, your body is losing fluid, along with those electrolytes, such as sodium and chloride. Carbohydrates provide fuel for your working muscles. Be mindful of the amount of sugar, though."
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-what-to-drink-to-stay-hydrated/

Last edited:
I'm a long distance runner, and have tried Liquid IV and remember it being pretty good. But, I stopped using it because I didn't really like 11g of sugar and added salt as part of my daily hydration.

Note, by the way, the concentration of salt/sugar - as recommended by WHO is "approximately the 'taste of tears'", so most commercial drinks are way over-doped. And there's your marketing angle.

[ EDIT ] Wegs :thumbs up: I removed Liquid IV from my list because they are obviously biased.

I'm a long distance runner, and have tried Liquid IV and remember it being pretty good. But, I stopped using it because I didn't really like 11g of sugar and added salt as part of my daily hydration.

My advice to those who buy sports drinks is to dilute them down by ½

Same with the rehydration powders. If it says mix in 600ml I say make it 2L

My understanding of the reason for the pull nipple and squirt into the mouth is to minimise the drinks contact with the teeth

salt - don't ignore potassium for cramps

:)

Not necessarily. The addition of salt and/or sugar does increase the absorption of water.
True, but is that good for you? I used to take these things when I was sailing in summer in the Persian Gulf, and it's true they perk you up very fast. But I've read subsequently that you are really better off allowing nature to extract the electrolytes from what you have eaten.

True, but is that good for you? I used to take these things when I was sailing in summer in the Persian Gulf, and it's true they perk you up very fast. But I've read subsequently that you are really better off allowing nature to extract the electrolytes from what you have eaten.
But we aren't talking about perking you up here. We're talking about rehydrating. There's no downside to rehydrating as quickly as manageable.

But we aren't talking about perking you up here. We're talking about rehydrating. There's no downside to rehydrating as quickly as manageable.
Well, that’s just it. They’re marketing that you can “instantly” hydrate, but it takes timing and consistency to naturally hydrate. If I plan a run at 2 PM in the afternoon, I can’t expect to hydrate enough, one hour before. Liquid IV may help with that but it’s still better to hydrate naturally throughout the day leading up to my run, during and after my run. Quick fixes are okay I guess if you’re running a race etc but not for every day, consistent use.

not for every day, consistent use.
That's really more about keeping hydrated than rehydrating.

We're sort of moving back and forth between what our motives are and what the facts are.

Simply, salt and sugar do aid in water uptake. What you want to accomplish will affect what you do with that information. If you're keeping hydrated under normal circumstances then it's generally better to simply drink water regularly. If you need to replenish, then there are ways to facilitate that quickly.

Yea, quick fixes don’t fix much, in the end. :)

American "cheap" means poor quality
i am using the UK meaning of the word

meaning money

quick fast & expensive like a Gucci hand bag or a Ferrari ?
side note

thinking of people who collect both
i wonder which one holds its r-sell value better
the hand bag or the car
lol

which one sells best on a new york street corner ?

usa news
looks like joe just passed the 1.9 TRILLION dollar bill
that was fast
and thats not cheap
but the faster they do it
the cheaper it will be for the country
[good on ya joe, long way to go]

linguistics & pre defined meanings (intended hidden meanings?)
but making things cheaper for america is making things lower class and horrible
lol
language & its cultural emotional pre definitions

Last edited:
Back