City Revives Paddling, sees major improvement in Behavior

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 17, 2010.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

not saying your a bad parent at all if u dont like a paddle use your hand ^_^ but thats up to the parent what i have a problem with is saying spanking is abuse with lasting psychological effects which couldnt be further from the truth

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

You brought your son into it when you stated that you would delegate corporal punishment to the school administrators against your son. And then you brought him in some more when I asked you if you would at least confirm or speak to him before you allowed the school administrators to hit him and your response was no, he's 6 and would therefore lie.

I didn't use your son against you. No one did. You used your son against yourself.

Do you know what I see?

I see a generation of people, born of people who were smacked and who smacked their children, and look at the state of the world today. People who were smacked are having children and repeating the same behaviour towards their own children. And you question the behaviour of today's generation?

Here's the thing. Suspects have legal protection that children do not. Funny that, huh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Well research has shown, time and again, that it does have a lasting psychological affect. Scroll through this thread. There are many links, all of which detailing research that has shown that there is a negative affect and that it can and does leave psychological scars, not to mention give children the impression that violence is acceptable. Do you have links to the opposite? In short, back up your claim that it "couldn't be further from the truth". The onus is on you to prove your claims.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

ehh much less people parents spank there kids now adays so your argument fights agianst itself there. and yes i do unless you live on a different planet than i do.. kids are now getting pregnant as young as 14 the respect children/kids give you is non exsistant you must live on pandora i want to go there

8. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

id really like to see this research where are you getting this information? i was spanked all of the time 0 - effect on me had my parents not takin it to spanking i gaurentee id be in jail/prision right now.. it doesnt leave psychological scare thats pure poppycock.. giving childrent impression tha violence is acceptabe? are you kidding? spanking a kid for doing something wrong shows them there will be consequence for there actions should then not listen to you.. let me look around

seems there is alot saying they do leave psychological scars i dont really need to cite anything i know that spanking worked for me and i dont have any emotional scars thats why i think this research is bullshit.. i dont ever fight i dont want to i avoid it. i dont have self image issues i have no psychologial problems at all. having gone thru it i know that reasearch can say what it wants but it is bullshit

9. Bells Staff Member

You have proof of that of course?
    I believe I live on the same planet as you do. If not, then my internet provider must have put down some far out cables.

They did back then as well. Do you think teen pregnancy can be prevented with a few good smacks? Would you smack them before or after they got pregnant?

Really? How so? How is it less different to the rebel children of the 60's and 70's? They were smacked too. Oh wait, back then it must have been the music, right? Damn hippy music and boys growing long hair..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Really, cliche's won't help you much at this point in time.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Bells,
    I notice you are still scrupulously failing to address the point that, by definition, paddling and spanking - correctly applied - are not violence.
    You cite the selective research indicating pyshological scars caused by corporal punishment, but avoid considering the scars that may be created when parents use violent non-corporal methods, born out of frustration.

11. Bells Staff Member

Is reading through this thread and reading the links provided that hard?

I'd have never have known.

So you think it is your parents hitting you that kept you out of jail?

Again, do you have proof of that? Show me a study that says that hitting children does not leave psychological scars. It has even been found that smacking children in school can impede in their learning.

I'm sorry. But hitting a child as a consequence of their actions and teaching them that that will be the consequence of their actions is naught. As adults, they won't be hit as a consequence of their actions.

Do you allow your boss to hit you if you don't do exactly as they tell you?

So pray tell, how exactly is smacking a child going to teach them about adult life and about consequences? Smacking an adult is deemed assault. Will being smacked as a 5 year old prepare them for getting fired? Will it prepare them for getting their first speeding ticket? No. It won't.

12. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

bells smacking is abuse if you ever hit your child in the face you should be put in jail spanking is not abuse. if applied correctly its not abuse at all altho u keep saying smacking i would never ever ever smack my child i would spank them given i feel it was earned im not going to spank my child for throwing something at my 2nd child.. now if he keeps doing it after the 3rd of 4th time i will give one last warning then i will spank

13. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

had my parents hadnt taken control of my behavior problems when i was young. yes i would have been in jail had they ignored it or let them grow i would be in jail.

as i have said before i dont need a study to show it doesnt im living proof of it.. do you need proof that your hair is brown? our you laugh if tickled a certin way? if someone told you no i have a study that shows people dont laugh when ticked that certin way. so i dont need to look up studies i already know.

no adults wont be hit as a consequence for there actions depending on there actions the will be put in jail or prision which is much worse. again ihave NOOO idea why you are compairing spanking an adult to a child there are 2 completely different entities.

I am an adult so no my boss doesnt spank me.. again this is the last time im going to respond to you if you compaire spanking a child. to hitting an adult we are talking about children here not adults.

SPANKING a child is not assault HITTING an adult is.
    if you go by what is spanking a child going to teach them about life and consequences then why parent them at all?
    if you use spanking as a last resort it will teach the child that you need to listen to the athorities in your life if you dont the consequences will keep getting worse
    to put it in your mind set when your an adult and you speed you are given a ticket.. then 2nd ticket is higher the 3 ticket is even higher and you get your lisence taken away keep driving? you go to jail. get out of jail and you still keep driving but this time you kill someone? death penelty may be enforced
    what is timeout going to theach them about consequences?

14. Bells Staff Member

By whose definition?

It is not defined as violence, because it is against a child, but against an adult, it is deemed and defined as violence. What I am asking is why do we change the definition when it applies to children. The response I have been given is that it is because children are less mentally developed. Apparently the level of one's mental development determines whether it is deemed abuse or not. I have been told that because adults are more mentally developed, it would be abuse to hit an adult with a paddle or a hand. But children are less mentally developed, so it is somehow not deemed as "violence". My question is simple. Why is that? Why is it that the less mentally developed don't get equal protection at law as those who are mentally developed?

What I cited was not selective. It is consistent and across the board.

At least I cited something. No one from the other camp has yet to cite anything at all. Do you think the psychological scar of taking away privileges or time outs can be the same as hitting a child? Could be. But everything I have cited has stated that it is preferred to actually hitting a child.

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

Yes, the evidence cited only refers to heavy physical abuse.

Sifreak:
    Teen pregnancy has always occurred. The cultural norm was to keep it hush hush, marry the daughter off immediately, etc.
    Fortunately, recent times have seen a change in that. This provides healthier living for mothers and children.

Bells:
    The claim that modern children are more disrespectful is apparent on all fronts.
    Additionally, many people are making poorer choices entering into adulthood.

Personally, I do not think this ties into spanking OR Corporal punishment.

However, a change HAS been made to how we treat children that has given us this result.
    Determining that change would be very helpful to this topic. It's understandable that some might attribute that to the change in practice of spanking or corporal punishment.

16. Bells Staff Member

Actually, no it does not.

You are aware that you are stating a complaint made in every single generation, right?

Do you know what I see? I see people who are impatient. I see people who cannot explain or be patient enough to have things explained to them. Much like when we smack a child who does not alter their behavior immediately instead of explaining and teaching them why that behaviour is wrong, I see people get upset if they don't get their own way immediately. And impatience leads to poor decision making.

17. Neverfly Banned Banned

Are you saying that spanking leads to a lack of wise choices made later in life?
    You still seem to think that spanking is THE FIRST option used.

Again, this is NOT necessarily the case.
    Every parent I have ever met that spanks uses it when All Other Methods have failed. These parents DO Explain it. They explain it til blue in the face and the child ignores it and continues the bad behavior.

I have repeatedly asked you to answer:

What do you DO with those children that Refuse to acknowledge all attempts at reason and discipline Prior to the last resort, Bells?

18. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

is that because they are not allowed to vote?

19. Bells Staff Member

You keep trying. You get help from professionals when all else fails. You know, you keep trying to reach your child and you keep trying to educate them. Strange concept, I know, but hey, it beats hitting a child.

20. Bells Staff Member

Suspects, because they are adults, are granted protection under the US constitution, that children are not given. I find that astounding.

I don't know if it is because of their voting rights or not. What I do know is that once a child becomes an adult, they are granted full legal protection against assault on their person that they do not have prior to reaching that magical milestone of adulthood. Prior to being deemed adults, they can be legitimately hit by either their parents or their school, depending on which state or country they live in. But once they reach 18, they are granted legal protection from that. Why do you think that is?

21. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

bells your a very selective reader and only answer certin questions.. i havve asked you not to use smack you continue to.. its SPANK. and SPANKING is only use as a last resort all other options have been extinguishted.. and im fairly confident you wont answer the question presented to you about what to do if none of your grounding. timeout s dont work. again your thought is wrong your twisting what were saying you said

"I see people get upset if they don't get their own way immediately. And impatience leads to poor decision making"

didnt think id have to do this but
    "child will contunte to do said action after every punishment"
    please dont trown the ball timmy

timmy dont throw the ball serious look

go over to child get down to there level look into childs eyes timmy i said dont throw the ball takes the ball away

timmy grabs another ball.

timmy go sit in the corner for 5 min. time out

timmy gets out of timeout grabs a ball and throws it..

timmy get to your room now! your grounded

timmy gets out of his room comes downstairs and starts throwing the ball again

timmy gets spanked

22. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

bells my parents did take me to a professional for behavior problems guess what? didnt work then what do you do?

23. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

here we go bells if this fails then i give up. since you keep compareing children to adults for some unknown reason ill but it in your ters

Police are your parents
    grown man/woman is the child

now answere this for me

cop asks you to do something you are insubordinate

cop asks you again your still insubordinate

cop tells you to get down on the ground insubordinate

cop either tazes your or uses force to get you to do what they say your now handcuffed and going to jail for insubordinate
    depending on how insubordinate you were
    you could be charged with assualting an officer along with insubordination
    now your in jail