Christian's beef with Atheists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Redefine91, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats your definition of a "Real" Christian?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Jesus said "you must be born again."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

That's biologically imposible. Would you like to try being born again? Shoot your head with a magnum 45 and see if you come back here to tell us all about it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Read the passages zany one.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Hmmm... I tried to find some corroborating 'expressions' from the bible that included the words, 'fag, gay, habit' but didn't come up with anything that would remotely support your direct or indirect claim? Any help here?

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Just google: homosexuality Bible

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

11. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Since the information in the Bible is fundamental to a successful eternal life.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

So thats a "yes" then?

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I call myself a born again Christian, you call me what you want, as usual.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Would you agree with this definition?

"Born again is a soteriological term used primarily in the Evangelical, Fundamentalist, and Pentecostal branches of Protestant Christianity, where it is associated with salvation, conversion and spiritual rebirth.

The idea of being born again carries with it the theological idea that a Christian is a new creation, given a fresh start by the action of God, freed from a sinful past life and able to begin a new life in relationship with Christ via the Holy Spirit.

In recent history, born again is a term that has been associated with evangelical renewal since the late 1960s, first in the United States and then later around the world. Associated perhaps initially with Jesus People and the Christian counterculture, born again came to refer to an intense conversion experience, and was increasingly used as a term to identify devout believers. By the mid 1970s, born again Christians were increasingly referred to in the mainstream media as part of the Born Again Movement."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Christian_doctrine)

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

It's what's described in 1 John chapter 3.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

1 John Chapter 3

1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

IAC. Could you comment on the verse below? How do you interpret this verse and how involved are you in following it, if at all?

18. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Where did John get his ideas? And who was he?

19. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I apologize, the third chapter of the Gospel of John.

20. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

as long as we are on verses of the bible, I would like a Christian to explain this one to me:

I don't know how this can be re-interpreted to mean anything other than its literal translation. however, fundamental Christians don't seem to have a problem with women doing these things. I never get you crazy christians

21. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

It is merely a product of the time and was not meant to be eternally binding to the Church.

That is pretty obvious as we do have women in the Clergy these days, and unlike the verses and customs demeaning women in Islam, we don't practice those anymore.

I never understand you crazy atheists.

22. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

where does it say that it is not eternally binding? moreover, why are some things binding and others not? I don't mean to sound hostile, it just seems like a double standard. things that are not socially acceptable about Christianity seem to get swept under the rug. not that its bad, I prefer not being ruled by Christian dogma

23. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

Things that are eternally binding are usually spelled out pretty well.

It's all part of the evolution of the Church. As the times changed so did the customs, usually for the better. We don't sacrifice animals anymore.

My guess is that it was written for those times. If you had a woman leading a church, no matter the message, she wouldn't be taken seriously. That is why most scholars think Jesus appeared as a man.

As the social opinion of women changes, the church realized they could be a part of religion, and let them join once they noticed they would be taken seriously.