Child Psychopath

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Orleander, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What is an "experimenter"?
    My beliefs are simple: the righteous and dedicated should be treated with civility and humanity.

The vicious and twisted mean less to me than cockroaches, and really they are only tools. After all, they are doing nothing for us, why not take advantage of the biological opportunity?

You do realize how much scientific progress we could achieve if we just stopped focusing on compassion for criminals and thought logically, about using them as test subjects?

In a way, those criminals make amends for their actions. In such a situation, scientists need not worry about ethics or morals in their experiments, and the information gained could be valuable to the rest of humanity.

Why show compassion to criminals?

Of course, this child is no criminal and if indeed he was born as he was, it is cruel to punish him. Execution is merely maintenance, ensuring that he is not given the chance to hurt anyone. It isn't punishment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Feed the parents and the boy to Terry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Norsefire you are a fucking psycho, he is a SEVEN YEAR OLD FOR FUCK SAKE.

You know something, about the only thing your posts do is make me hit the cricket ball harder pituring it as YOUR HEAD

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

We can give him a second chance. Why not? However, there has to be a point where we say "enough".

8. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

If you do this - and you should know it has been done before - I would consider you a criminal. I would want you in jail.

Sounds eerily like the Nazis.

I thought at last announcement you were Christian. My suggestion would be to approach Christian counselors or read some of the New Testament. There are answers to this kind of question there.

For me as a non-christian, compassion is not something I aspire to, it is something I often find present. I also notice that many people who do horrible things are not criminals and many criminals are not immoral people. How many of the founders of the USA would the British have put in prison if they had won?

Criminals are humans. I can't convince you, of course, to feel compassion. That's like trying to talk you into falling in love with some woman or telling you why you should like chocolate cake if you don't.

But I can feel sorry for you for being so cut off.

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

For being rational and logical?

Besides, it certainly would be a crime for me to get a criminal and experiment (even though I would do so to better human knowledge)
    However, who says the government can't subsidize and legalize such a thing? At least they'd have done one thing smart.

Look, there are some things we could learn so much more easily by being limitless in our scientific inquiries. Criminals provide valuable opportunities where we would be able to experiment without committing a wrong.

The Nazis experimented on the innocent, or their own version of "criminal" which wasn't decided by public consensus.

I am not a "by the book" Christian. I am mostly a "philosophical" Christian. And I do believe in compassion...for the good.

That's a different story. I'm talking about murderers; I'm talking about rapists. I'm talking about peadophiles. How are they not criminals? There are truly vile scum out there

....and we pay for them to have

food
    entertainment
    life

They owe us!

We can all agree that they are criminals, too. At least, some of them.

Bad humans
    I do feel compassion. I am empathetic. I would not be able to argue from any viewpoint if I wasn't. However, that doesn't mean I have to be tolerant nor does it mean I have to like criminals.

As I said, they are our only opportunity for true unrestricted science.

10. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

A burglar can be rational and logical. And a person being moral can be also. So, no. Not because you were rational or logical - if you were.

And now you seem to understand. Good.

Governments have. I think it is immoral.

Where I would say you would be committing a wrong.
    So if they had had a nationwide vote

'Are Jews, Gypsies, the retarded, gays, etc. criminals?'

and the German public voted yes,
    it would have been OK to experiment on Jews?

Essentially slavery had consensus amongst voters. Was it OK?

You are such a relativist. Whatever consensus is is moral.

So easy compassion. Sort of Christianity light.

And those who would experiment on them, even them, would join them in being scum.

God, I won a grant once. I hope the organization that gave me the grant doesn't think they can operate on my spine or something.

No one said you had to like anyone. In fact I never even said you had to feel compassion for them. I think it's sad how not compassionate you are in relation to them.
    So science should be free, but not people.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It'd be for the greater good.

Why? Criminals are immoral. At least, many are.

What is wrong, then?
    You don't explain your reasoning. Mine is simple.

Criminals harm society. Society has no obligation to show humanity to those that harm it. A smart society would use such scum for their own benefit.
    If the German public truly viewed those groups as such, my first question would be to those groups: "why do you remain in Germany?"

Besides, they might be culturally out of place, but they aren't actually harming anyone. So no.

Criminals, in the sense of serial killers, serial rapists, etc, do harm people.
    Morality is subjective. It is not objective, therefore morality can be whatever you want. For the social unit, however, it is important that society agree upon morals in order to opreate.

Why?

Did you attack, rape, and kill and harm members of that organization?

Imagine the good that can come out of it. The discoveries we make on a few criminals can help good people in need.

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

So you think. Because you think you know all the effects of experimenting on criminals. You think the effects would be the visible ones you imagine in your head. Of course the effects would be much more complicated. We would all suffer from that kind of state sanctioned immorality.

Doesn't give me the right or the desire to treat them as if they were not human.

And immoral. Criminals do not become things, they are still people. We can try to make ourselves safe. We can punish or try to rehabilitate. But we do not get to treat them like things. That's my morality. You have to understand that I cannot prove what is good and moral. You don't feel compassion for them and so you will never, ever understand my position. I do, and so I will never ever find yours moral.

How odd that every society does anyway.

So it would be moral because they should have left.

Hitler thought the Jews were harming people. Many people think gays are harming people even when they have sex in private and certainly if they kiss in the street.

On this we agree.

Yes. And I don't agree with experimentation on criminals. And I think your idea would lose a popular vote.

Because they are not things.
    I was pointing out what I saw as a flaw in your logic. They pay, they get to treat me like an object. A lot of employers do think this. And I think they are immoral.

And again. You think you can see all the effects of such a practice. But you really have no idea how experimenting on criminals will affect the way we all start to look at each other.

And again. You are clearly a moral relativist.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SA, why do you bother?
    why do you keep banging your head against that wall?

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What effects? We experiment on them, and then we can dispose of them. Or, use their bodies for transplants or further experiments.

They aren't human.

And experimentation is, in a way, a punishment

Really? Which would those be? I know of none.

he thought they were. Hardly compelling proof. We have much proof that rapists do, indeed, harm people.

In the Christian West?
    Yes

However any logical person would understand my reasoning: unlimited science can have benefits, but we can't harm innocent people. Criminals are not innocent and therefore they owe us.

They are things. That's why we lock them up...and treat them as property.

We can emphasize humanity and compassion while at the same time condeming the twisted.

Like everyone?
    Why not refute my points? Asguard, you may have a good heart but you are too trusting and too willing to show mercy. That is not always a good thing.

15. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Funny I almost asked you the same thing in this thread or maybe another. Honestly, it is almost pleasant to actually speak to someone with these views. I can't tell if Norsefire is serious or role playing - I know Norsefire, you don't like when people doubt you this way. But what it gives me is an opportunity to actually come in contact with the mindset he has or pretends to have.

In person I would not feel safe going into this stuff with someone I so heartily disagreed with.

So I get to see what happens. What happens when I point out _________? Oh, he comes back with this. I notice where he subtley shifts his argument without admitting anything, perhaps without noticing. I get a feel for the exact shape of his worldview and how he justifies it for himself. Sometimes it is in ways I would not have thought of.

And then I often get bored and give up.

But there is something in this. Right now, anyway.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't understand why people always say I am to be "role playing" just to "get a rise out of people"

I don't understand what is so wrong with my views. I support a strong social unit and pushing Humanity forward.

17. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

Yeah, the only people in this story that are bigger idiots than him are his parents.

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Right. You see only the direct physical effects. You do not even for a moment consider the effects on how people will come to see each other and their government or doctors once they realize these experiments are happening. It is the same with your naivte around privacy issues.

Oh, the guilty will get caught more and the innocent have nothing to hide.

But what are we teaching children about who they are, when their movements are monitored by cameras all the time and they know that as adults they will ALWAYS be under a distrustful eye.

we all get dehumanized. When something is done in our name that is inhuman, it dehumanizes us if we accept it as normal.

It is almost as if you see us as billiard balls. Hit the bad one he goes in the corner pocket. Don't hit the good one.

But humans, at least some of them, are far more subtle and are affected by the laws you wish to pass in ways that are hard to predict, especially by people like you who never even consider this.

The world you would make would have people with no self-respect.

So you say.

What you are proposing is illegal in the country you live in. I hope you have the integrity to openly admit you are wrong here. It is illegal in the US, even in Texas, to experiment, especially in the ways you are suggesting no prisoners, even murderers.

So the government would have to show that its justice system is a good one, not unfair along racial lines, for example.

Well, there you go. So it is immoral where you live.
    No, they're not.

Well, no. Many religious people and many secular people are not relativists. In fact you, for example on the gay issue, seem to present yourself as not a relativist. Just thought you needed a little heads up, because you are one. If there is consensus then it is ok. When there is consensus against you, you are not a relativist. When you are presenting your ideas of how things should be you say it will be OK because there will be consensus.

So you shift, when it suits you, between saying

certain things are just wrong, period
    to saying that if we get consensus then things that seem wrong now will actually be good.

Make up your mind.

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

After countless posts bemoaning homosexuals you said in one of your posts that you were attracted to a few men. I find it hard to believe a conservative like you are supposed to be would toss that out like you did. There was another post also where both Orleander and I called you out on where your persona slipped.

I am not sure you are role playing, but I often wonder. Perhaps you are just very odd, or very impulsive and never notice the contradictions.

You do understand why people react the way they do to your ideas, right. I don't mean you see why they are right, but you do understand why we, for example, react negatively to the idea of experimenting on criminals. Are you capable of entering the mindset of others?

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Of course I consider social effects. I see none. The people will realize that the "people" being experimented on earned and chose their fate.

It depends on how we teach it. If we did have such "big brother", it doesn't mean we have to teach the children that they are animals to be monitored.

We could teach: "the government is our friend and our people are united, and so we like to help each other and our friend"

So as the truth is.
    That's not what you said, though. Texas doesn't show compassion to criminals, even if we don't experiment on them. In fact Texas has the highest execution rate in the US (over a hundred executions a year)

Morality can change
    Why?

Of course I am a relativist. I said "homosexuality is wrong in my opinion"
    Or at least, I hope you inferred that because that is the case
    However, my opinion of homosexuality has changed anyway so it's irrelevant to discuss.
    Most of my concern with it has to deal with cultural change
    Certain things are wrong, period, when the consensus says so. Remember, society is made up of individuals in agreement. Therefore you can be totally immoral in a certain society, but completely fine in another.

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I can find a few men attractive and even be a homosexual without thinking it is right.

Believe me, I would not be hear, having over 7,000 posts, just "role playing"

My views are a product of many things. I don't find them odd at all.
    Of course. I just don't see why you find the idea of experimenting on CRIMINALS

Repeat, CRIMINALS

..wrong

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SA, do you piture osam in his cave somewhere when reading norsefires posts, talking about the "infidels"? or the english invaders of Australia?, the slave drivers of the US? or the nazis?

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't talk about infidels and I don't promote slavery.