Child Beauty Pageants

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by shorty_37, Apr 17, 2008.

?

Do you think child pageants like these sexualize children?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2008.
  1. Yes I do

88.0%
  2. No I don't

12.0%
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

No kidding, like the article I posted. A 4 yr old practicing sexy moves in the mirror. Who is teaching a 4 yr old sexy movements??????? because they don't even know what the word means at that age. It is pretty sick for a parent to be teaching their child that hasn't even reached kindergarten how to act flirty and sexy for onlookers including pedophiles and some real wack jobs to VIDEO TAPE and SNAP pictures of.

It really is appauling to me to see 2 woman of this forum supporting such a disgusting display.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

No, your reaching for some kind of justifiable reason why this type of behavior should be acceptable for parents to partake in, it not. No matter how hard you try to justify pageants as a reasonable and responsible thing for parents to push their children into you will fall short, because when it comes down to it most people can grasp the idea the these children are being used and its damaging to them. Despite whatever reasons you have you are in a severe minority here, I dont respect parents who do this to their children, and i dont respect those who support it. Most people dont.

Exploiting your children is wrong, no matter what the sistuation, this jsut happens to be one of the more disturbing and prevalent cases of legal child exploitation in america.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think all parents are like the few we have been shown. Its like saying Little League is bad because a few dads have berated their sons for missing a ball or striking out. Or its bad because they are made to go to practice when they don't want to.

Just because I wouldn't do it to my daughter doesn't mean its bad. My daughter doesn't have the temperment for it. I think most of these girls do. I think its selective editing in the video tapes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

No, its not the same thing noone is amking money off the kids playing at their local little leagues, most of these pageants are FOR PROFIT industries making millions of dollars of the events they sponsor. If that isnt exploitation I dont know what is.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Little League World Series? Its even televised and kids world wide compete. I'm thinking that makes a nice little profit.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yes, like all the digitally enhanced Pageant Pictures I posted. People have gone in extreme debt trying to keep their child in the pageants. One couple that was on Dr. Phil once actually broke up over it. The were in debt something like 80,000. The mother was just obsessed and was spending thousands of dollars on outfit after outfit. The husband wanted it to stop and said the other children that they had were being ignored because the mom was only focused on the one child and her pageants.

Not to mention these ppl that are beating their kids or yelling at them after a baseball game are also abusing their kids. Afterschool activities, sports,
    should be something the child picks for themselves, what they like doing. If they aren't that great at it so be it. It should be for fun or don't bother.

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Did I say anything about that...nope. I disagree with that as well, but not on the same degree as I disagree with the pageants, like I said its not the only instance of this happening, its just the most sickening.

11. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

you actually watch dr.phill? :bugeye:

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Actually I can't stand the guy! But when I was flipping through months ago I happened to see the topic and started watching it.
    Don't worry I don't make a habbit of it. I think he thinks he is an arrogant know it all.

13. Bells Staff Member

You don't think the mothers are sexualising their children in such pageants?

Sam!

You agree she is misguided but you still defend her?

I am not saying she is a pimp. And personally, I do not think she should be pitied. Simply slapped upside the head. Her attitude will only result in her children being so hung up on looks that they could potentially develop problems if they happen to put on weight or the daughter's boobs are too small or too big as she develops. Children do not need that kind of pressure about their looks. It's wrong, regardless of the industry the child happens to be a member in.

Yes it would be. At least one would hope so.

What is so warped about this is that it is the mothers, and in some instances the fathers, who desire for their daughters (and sons) to do the sexy hip swinging strut down the run way and god help that child if their hips don't swing far enough.

The parents aren't doing it for anyone else aside from themselves and impressing the judges. The only victims here are the small children who are being abused in such a manner.. and some are abused if they fail to perform or impress the judges. No one is blaming the child. But the parents have a lot to answer for in the manner in which they are exploiting their children to satisfy their own ego.

The parents Sam. It is they who have their children dress that way and it is they who stand back in the audience and coach their children on how to move and dance during the whole thing, all while reminding their children to keep that garish smile on their faces. This isn't some little 'cute baby contest'. This is a serious business, especially in the US, with serious money rewards. So some parents will do everything they can to make sure their children win... be it surgical procedures, a tonne of make up, hair pieces and wigs.. the whole kit and caboodle. And why? So some judges can judge their children on their performance and most importantly, their looks.

To fulfill their own dreams for themselves and what they want for their children.

And it is equally wrong.

Children should not be forced to do such things because their parents want them to do it. Reminds me of when my mother (who is musical and artistic and her whole family are the same) tried to force me to take guitar lessons. I hated it. Detested it. She kept on pushing and the more she pushed, the more I rebelled and she thought it was a mother daughter thing.. I truly hated it. After about 4 weeks, my father came to pick me up and he saw how upset I was and walked into the guitar teacher's house and said the lessons were canceled. Instead of letting me do what I wanted, she tried to force me into something she wanted for me. And that's wrong.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

He is showing his muscles like a bodybuilder would. That's got far less to do with sexiness than beauty pageants. Just my opinion of course..

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I would agree. Anyone who argues with Sam on this one should spend some time in India, to experience the "culture" themselves. Exploiting children and violating human rights are common practice as it is part of the culture.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How is a beauty pageant violating human rights?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bells: Maybe I have to see a beauty pageant to get it, because from the videos I saw here, I really don't see the parents as sexualising their child.

18. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

you are right on that. it is very sad.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL quotes ?

20. Bells Staff Member

How can I put this..

The parents dress and make up their children in such an adult fashion to please other adults.. in this instance, the adult judges.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

22. draqon Banned Banned

23. draqon Banned Banned

the point here is that this is a festival, no one girl is going to win here...they all participate in this cultural thing, I don't see anything sexualized in this.