Cheapest Form of Good Nutrition?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carcano, May 27, 2009.

1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The crappy food they eat IS expensive compared to good nutrition.

Kraft Dinner is more expensive than the lovely home fries I just made...which cost no more than maybe 65 cents.

Cherrios cost more than oatmeal...which is far more nutritious and satisfying.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

No, and I wasn't arguing against what you said. But you did bring up the issue of calories and I commented on that.
    Like I said earlier, 'I find the quest of this OP with its suggestion of parboiled rice to be misleading. There is no one food source that could cover all the nutritional needs.' And which is why I said that we can't focus only on the price of calories per kilogram.

I can relate!

-

Totally. One of the reasons I mostly refrain from white bread, pasta and any store-bought food is because it is so expensive.
    I can buy two kilograms of barely (hulled) for the price of a medium bread loaf (0.7 kg) or about 0.7 kg of non-egg pasta. It takes quite a while to eat two kilos of barley, not to mention its excellent nutritional qualities.
    Obviously, the barley pays off better in many ways.

In those 65 cents, did you include the prices for oil, salt, use of electricity / gas, use of stove, use of pots, use of kitchen space, water, disposal, and work?

That is very relative!

Buckwheat, barley and soy are among the most nutritious food sources. But the prices may vary quite a bit from country to country.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

If anything would counter-balance the cost it would be the electricity.

The teaspoon of canola oil and a pinch of salt and cayenne are negligible.

Still, as a liberal estimate the kilowatt hour used only cost 11 cents.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  9. wise acre Registered Senior Member

You can get a decent amount of brown rice for 2 dollars.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

1. Can't stand parboiled rice

2. I prefer ambamori rice

3. If you think basmati can "taste like paper" compared to parboiled rice, you've never eaten basmati rice.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Basmati has a vaguely nutty taste but is still papery in its inherent emptiness.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If it was real basmati you had eaten, you could not possibly think it papery or empty.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What is this? Google couldn't find anything.

Actually, I think it is possible that even real basmati tasted poorly to him. There could be a number of reasons for that. One of them being that his sense of taste wasn't adjusted to the new taste yet.

When I first switched to vegetarian food, introduced many new kinds of grains and legumes and started cooking all my food myself, the food at first tasted quite bland - and I am sure it wasn't the way I prepared the food that could be blamed.
    It apparently simply took awhile to get used to the new tastes, and in time, I began to better distinguish between the tastes and they became clearer.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Sure, but you still had to buy them, and in a quantity relatively large to the amount you use for one cooking session. All things cost.

15. 830hobbes Registered Member

Cheapest nutrition

Actually, there's a website that does this. nutrimentumfood.com/App/

16. elte Valued Senior Member

I find the leaves too bitter in general. The flowers are the part that seem to agree with me better. But there isn't a lot of wild and green space nearby to get wild greens from here.

17. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ OP Carcano,
    I did not know this about parboiled rice and am very up to date and well read on nutrition topics.. thanks for the post.

Edit: My wife knew, and we have a huge bag of parboiled rice in the house before i read this ..

18. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Perhaps S.A.M. means Ambamore Rice?

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Good Rice should be fragrant and fluffy, and not stick together.
    We have a rice called Tilda which is very good, and not expensive by Western standards. 5kg for £10 or so.
    No doubt that would buy a great deal more in India.

Very pleasant to eat, but can any white rice be called good nutrition?
    Isn't it just high calorie carbohydrate?
    Good as a low cost energy supplier, but poor in nutrients.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No. Grains are high in protein. Although the amino acids are not properly balanced so you need to augment a grain-intensive diet with nuts and seeds, which have a complementary protein profile, or just a little bit of dairy which has all the amino acids.

But more to your point, even whole grains are not a complete diet for humans--or most mammals for that matter, just the ones with a rich culture of gut flora like cows and elephants and bunny rabbits. They have a few of the vitamins and minerals that are removed by the refining process, but they do not have all the nutrients we need.

Putting together a complete, well-balanced vegetarian diet is not terribly difficult with today's knowledge of biochemistry and today's food technology, but still it's not something a person would stumble onto accidentally.

In fact when farming was first invented twelve thousand years ago, it kicked off a negative trend in human health that was not reversed until the Modern Era. By the era of the Roman Empire, the population density was so great that it was not economically feasible to set aside huge swaths of land for grazing herds very close to the cities. The slow and costly transportation technology of the era, coupled with the primitive food-storage technology, made it unaffordable for the average city-dweller to eat meat very often, and even dairy foods (it's ten times as resource-efficient to raise cattle for milk than for meat) were not a staple for the average Roman.

As a result most people ate a grain-intensive diet. Nobody knew about vitamins and minerals in those days, so all they were getting (even from whole grains) was an adequate intake of protein and calories. The average life expectancy of a commoner who had already survived the high infant mortality rate fell from the low 50s in the Paleolithic Era to the low 20s in the Roman Era!

If the Christian occupying armies had not obliterated the Aztec and Inca civilizations, it's not clear what the future would have held in store for them as their population increased and crowding became a problem in their empires. The only grain they were able to cultivate in the New World was corn, which is an absolutely wretched source of nutrition compared to wheat and rice.

21. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Egg nog and sausage/cheese puffs...

What more could you ask for?

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What's Egg Nog?

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

A treadmill or other exercise device to burn off the calories?

Eggnog, without the rum, averages 343 calories per 8 ounce glass.

Sausage cheese puffs average 60 calories per piece.

Still, the holiday season only comes once a year, so one might as well enjoy....in moderation. And my motto is ALL things in moderation, including moderation itself, lol....