Catcalling -- creepy or a compliment?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, May 15, 2008.

?

Do you like catcalling?(ladies only)

Poll closed May 30, 2008.
  1. Yes, it is a compliment

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No, it is objectification

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Other opinion (post it)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh well, I have NEVER experienced such displays by men.

I have been called out.....Hey Babe...Nice Ass....Whistled at...Beeped at by guys in cars...Had men follow me in stores checking me out.. etc

I can't say I was traumatized by any of it. It even gave me an ego boost sometimes, depending on the man.

I mean really, is it so upsetting that the opposite sex may find you attractive. They might not go about it the right sometimes, but if they don't grab, touch or yell obscenities what is the big deal.

Would you rather go through life, with not one man ever checking you out? I wouldn't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well I wasn't brought up to have my self esteem dependent on what someone else thought of me so I do not have the same standards as you do. I could not, for instance, respect a guy who went around doing any of the above, to me that speaks of a lack of civility and self respect to be behaving in such a manner to strange women.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Why do I need to respect a guy who was checking me out?? I don't care about a stranger to think that long about them. It's not like I am going to date them or have a relationship with them so who cares.

You almost sound like you are Gay

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course, if I do not get a boost to my self esteem from strange men passing comments on my boobs and ass, I must be gay.

And not being able to go through life without catcalls and whistles is a sign of heterosexual unambiguity.

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Smacking sounds with the lips? Are you sure you aren't talking about chimpanzees? I'm %100 with you if you are, they can be very rude and naughty.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I said would you like to go through life with not one man ever checking you out?
    (nice twist on my words though)

Both men and women like to know they are desirable to the opposite sex. Women check out men too, they are just more subtle about it.

It's life FFS......

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So is rape but its not on my list either.

Checking out is not the same as making catcalls. And I have no desire to be attractive to all and sundry.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Of course, bring up rape. Always take it to the extremes in any conversation.

You don't need to worry, not ALL will find you attractive out there. Be brave go out of the house....not every man will be all over you showing you his dick.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ha! Thanks for your concern.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You know all about it huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoDpYwqNjC0

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I actually don't understand what's so offensive about a guy showing his dick. I get how guys confronting you and saying aggressively sexual things into your face could be a bit much, but a guy shows you his dick... I would see that as an ultimately submissive manuveur that at worst grades a "zero" on the pleasure meter, not "negative 4000" like women seem to act. No matter how gross a woman's vulva was, just say it's this grotesque meaty abomination with parts confusingly all over the place, if she just showed it to me on the street I think I'd have to be a little appreciative no matter what it looked like. I can't imagine being like "how dare you!", like your genitals aren't worthy of my precious eyes gazing upon them, seems bizarrely arrogant. Even not saying thank you would feel fairly rude.
    Like I said, my feelings could only range from absolutely nothing to extremely positive. I don't see how it can go into the negative.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on the timing, I suppose. When you're stumbling back half drunk from a party at 3 am and need urgently to take a pee, the last thing you want is some pathetic wimp flashing you his wiener.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

It's not the quantity of dick, it's quality.

The guy was probably drunk too. You can't blame him, at 3am they are desperate and will try and pick up anything.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  17. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I see. You'd rather have sober eyes so you can better appreciate the sight.

18. Kadark Banned Banned

I'm talking about normal countries here. Using the most backward, uncivilized nation on Earth as an example of your argument is not a good idea (especially considering the fact that all women are dressed the same there, meaning there is no way we can tell how the men would treat differently dressed women, laws permitting).

I'm no fan of "cat-calling", and I probably would punch a guy in the face if they did it to my sister, for example. However, if you're going to dress without respect for yourself, then people are under no obligation to treat you with respect, either. Appearance means a lot, whether you like to admit it or not.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Life goes on

And that, in the end, works for you. But the problem with your reasoning is that while you enjoy looking at sexually aggressive men's dicks, not everyone else does.

That you don't see how such things could be negative only reminds us of the limitations of your perspective.

• • •​

I disagree, Kadark. A woman in a burqa is still a human being, and thus deserves a modicum of human respect that includes the right to be free from constant sexual harassment.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  20. Kadark Banned Banned

Hm?

I agree with what you just said. The guys in Sam's video were assholes, especially because they were physically aggressive, unlike regular horny, pussy-deprived pricks who make cheesy comments and laugh maniacally at their own jokes. Clearly, there is a difference between grabbing/humping a woman, and making a chauvinistic comment towards a woman because she was flaunting her ass towards your face, while taking gazelle strides in her low-cut, tantalizing skirt.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I agree there's a difference

Indeed, there is a difference. One is against the law. The other is just stupid. And where I'm from, while stupidity is not inherently illegal, neither is it something anyone is or should be obliged to appreciate.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Clearly one does not need to take gazelle strides in a low cut tantalising skirt to invite unwanted attention. One can be covered head to toe and some men will still act like turds. Without the unnecessary excuse of being drunk at 3 am to jusify it. Perhaps someone like shorty is more equipped to appreciate the quality of dick, whatever that is.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

The point is, the more revealing you dress, the more likely you are to be sexually harassed.