Cat smell in my bedroom - How can I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Dissonance, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You're saying you can't hear when your dog or cat calls you in the middle of the night while you sleep?

Then you're not much of a pet owner!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've lived with both dogs and cats since the 1940s, as well as parrots and various other species. We've rescued our share. (Same was true of my first marriage and my various stints of living alone.) We love them like our children, since they actually are our children. Between our homes on the two coasts we now have ten dogs and more birds than I can count, although we haven't had any cats for about 20 years.

I've never once heard a cat announce his need to go potty, day or night. Although I've only ever had one cat who had a problem peeing in the house, and he was a rescue with a bad behavior problem and had cystitis so bad that it wasn't curable and he eventually died from it. Obviously that's why he ended up where I found him.

One of my current dogs is so sweet she thinks she's made of sugar and will melt if she gets wet. Even in the daylight, if it's raining hard she'll quietly sneak off into the kitchen to pee on the floor rather than scratching at the doorway to that horrible alien planet where water so cruelly falls from the sky. I've learned to toss her out against her will periodically when it's raining but still she occasionally does it in the house. I tried her on Puppy Pads, which didn't quite suit her fancy. We finally reached a (temporary, I swear) compromise with a kitchen floor mat that's made of very soft plastic with lots of grooves, so it's comfortable to walk on, contains all the urine, and can be washed clean in a few seconds in the laundry sink.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

My father had a similar problem with his dog at one point. He bought a rain-coat for the dog, and put it on the dog. This happened once, and only once. The dog, it seems, objected to the rain-coat more than it objected to going out in the rain, and never gave him trouble again.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. harrismargaret9 Registered Member

Baking powder could help in getting rid of the smell.

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Strange.

Perhaps you're not paying enough attention.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Statistically very unlikely that my wife, my ex-wife, and a series of girlfriends who shared my home (all but one of whom were also cat lovers) would also not have been "paying enough attention."

You're the only cat lover I've ever talked to who reports hearing a cat scratching like a dog (or whining or barking or staring or noodging or running back and forth or whatever) to go out. I'll take your word for it but it doesn't seem to be a universal phenomenon, or even a common one.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I've had six cats in my life so far and they have all made it clear when they wanted to have the door opened, either from the inside out or from the outside in.

Even one cat from neighbors used the same strategy when she wanted to go out, after she had sneaked into the garage (and up to the attick).

It's true though that we specifically payed attention to when the cats first came to our house, to train them (as much as a cat can be trained, that is) that if they call in front of a door, the door opens (ie. one of us humans runs to open it).
    The main door to the stairs in the hallway is a sliding door, and it's relatively far away from the other rooms of the house and it isolates sound quite well; that door has a kind of L profile running vertically, for insulation. The cat can pull on that and it makes quite a nose. We show the cat what to do, and then we pay attention so that when she pulls on the door, we run to open it. This is how the cats have learned what they need to do for doors to open.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Interesting. As I said, I've only ever had one cat for whom it was an issue and he was utterly hopeless due to problems I unknowingly inherited from someone who abandoned him. So we've never had any reason to think about having to train a cat to do this.

I guess I've had fourteen cats, but I'm older than practically everybody here. Probably 25 dogs. And more birds than that--at least ten different species plus a couple of hybrid macaws. (I have a complete list of all of them, but not on this computer).

I'm sure next time I go home to our spread in California there will be a capybara lolling in the pond.

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Plop a roadkill in there, no more cat smell.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

If you want this to work on cat urine, you'll need to also place some kind of waterproof layer underneath it. The reason that cat piss smell is so hard to get rid of is that it soaks through the carpet and into the padding below, where no amount of carpet cleaning will ever reach it.

That motivation is new on me. Where I grew up, all cat owners made sure never to leave their cats outside at night, but that's because doing so was a sure-fire way to get your cat ripped to pieces by coyotes.

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Cat pee contains strong smelling ammonia...which can be neutralized by soaking the area with vinegar.

15. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Where do you live? We can hot box it! :m:

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

drag a wet dog through the room ????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.