Car washing

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Pim, May 27, 2003.

1. Pim Registered Senior Member

Okay, now an easy one..how can you plant 4 trees in such a way that the distance between every 2 trees is equal

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ryans Come to see me about a dog hey Registered Senior Member

NO NO NO

Good effort pim, but the instant the second hand goes past the 12 at 1:05, the minute hand and the hour hand will no longer coincide, for they only coincide at exactly 01:05:00 pm. all 3 hands will only coincide at 2 places, 12 noon and 12 midnight.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Plant them in a square with 1 meter sides.
    EDIT: wtf was I thinking?

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

you have to climb on a hill that has 3 sides, all are equilateral triangles.

8. Pim Registered Senior Member

No that's not true if you assume continuous movement of both minute and hour hand...at 1:05:00 EXACTLY the hour hand will not be at the 1..but a little PAST it (1/12 of the distance between the 1 and the 2 to be precise), while the minute hand will be exactly at 1 at that time. So these two hands do not coincide then. 27 seconds later though, the minute hand will have moved a bit futher than the 1, and will coincide with the hour hand. Yes at 12 am and 12 pm they all coincide, didn't think of that

Another reason why i think they don't coincide at 1:05:00: if you go on with this you will get: 2:10:00, 3:15:00, ...., 11:55:00.
    And you know by observation that they do not coincide at 11:55:00...

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  9. Pim Registered Senior Member

That's the solution

10. ryans Come to see me about a dog hey Registered Senior Member

These are good problems pim, keep going

11. Pim Registered Senior Member

Ryans: did you read my last post about the clock?

12. MacM Registered Senior Member

OK

OK, I guess this is math after all.

Three guys are stranded on an island. The only thing there is monkeys and coconuts. They can't catch the monkeys and not knowing when they might be rescued they decide they had best gather all the coconuts on the island to try and survive.

They put all the coconuts in a pile and agree that in the morning they will divide them evenly and should they run out each will just have to suffer the consequences.

That night the first guy wakes up and thinks, "I really don't know if I trust these guys, I'm going to make sure I get my fair share".

He divides the pile into three even piles but comes up with one coconut left over. Being a fair person he decides he couldn't live with himself if he took the extra coconut, so he throws it back in the jungle to the monkeys. Hides his 1/3 and restacks the remaining 2/3 into a single pile.

Later that night the second man wakes and has the same thoughts and goes through the same process ending up with one coconut left over and makes the same decision as the first.

He throws away the extra coconut, hides his pile and restacks the remaining coconuts.

Early the next morning the third man wakes and goes through the same routine. He throws away the extral coconut, hides his pile and restacks the remaining coconuts.

When the sun comes up all three men wake up and go and divide the pile into thirds. This time the pile divides evenly, none for the monkeys. Each takes his share of coconuts and puts them into hiding with his previous pile.

The question is "What are the fewest coconuts that can be on the island".?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2003
  13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: OK

Monkeys and coconuts
    Depends on the how many coconuts each gets from the final division(how many when they get the even count=x)

total=((((x*3)*3+1)*3+1)*3+1)
    total=x*81+13

14. MacM Registered Senior Member

Nice Try

Persol,

Nice try but you have sufficienct information to determine the total number of coconuts.

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

106 using vb... but now I'm wondering how I messed up going backwards

16. MacM Registered Senior Member

Good Job

Persol,

Good job you have a correct answer. Actually, you can get multiple answers and I have not seen this happen before. If it is set up by algebra it will reduce to the "Fewest Coconuts" that are on the island.

But I didn't specify so you win.

But you have a good number also.

I have re-written the question to keep multiple answers from being correct.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2003
  17. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Okay, here's one:

You have jeep sitting at the edge of a 500 mile expanse of desert that you need to cross. Your jeep gets 10mpg and has a 10 gal fuel tank. You can also carry one additional 10 gal drum of fuel.

When you start off, there are no supplies of fuel along your route, but you do have a supply of fuel drums at your starting point.

Questions:
    How can you get across the 500 mile desert in your jeep.

What is the minimum number of fuel drums that it will take to do so.

18. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Janus58,

It appears that your jeep can only carry 200 miles worth of gasoline regardless of how much fuel is available at the starting point.

Tom

19. MacM Registered Senior Member

Procedure

Janus58,

I haven't worked out the number but the procedure is to use your tank to carry extra gas down route and have enought to return to get another load of fuel and keep extending your trip.

Back with an answer (I hope soon).

20. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

MAcM hit on the method. You drive out part way into the desert and drop off fuel, repeat. This establishes a new refueling station. You use the same trick from the new fuel supply to establish another fueling station deeper into the desert. You keep doing this until youv'e crossed the desert.

The trick is to minimize the amount of total gas you need to start with.

21. Upquark Registered Senior Member

an easy one

you are the head chef of a new restaurant and you must cook a nine-minute egg for the restaurant reviewer. Just as you prepare to start cooking the egg, your watch stops. As luck would have it, you happen to have two hourglasses, one for seven minutes and one for four minutes. How can you time the nine minute egg?

22. MacM Registered Senior Member

Ans?

Janus,

It seems to take twice as many trips every 50 miles. To get gas to the 400 mile marker I count 64 trips on the next cycle I must get gas to the 300 mile mark or another 32 trips. and to the 200 mile mark 16 trips. Then I don't need to drop off gas and retrun, I just keep filling up.

That should take 112 trips at 20 gallons each or 2,240 gallons for 500 miles - Must be driving an SUV @ 4.48 gallons/mile.

23. MacM Registered Senior Member

Ans?

UpQuark,

Set both hour glasses. When the 4m runs out flip the 4m glass. There will be three minutes left on the 7 min glass. When the 7 min glass runs out you have 1 min left on the 4 m glass. Start boiling your egg. When the 4m glass run out, flip it twice for 4 m each = 9 minutes but it took 16 minutes to serve the inspector and your busted for slow service.