Car Electric Window Stuck Open

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by G. F. Schleebenhorst, May 20, 2007.

1. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Is there some way to just shove the window up manually? I don't really care if it won't go down again, I can just use the sunroof, but I just need to get it up some way.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I take it there's no easy solution for that?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

well, if there was ANY piece that you could push on, it could be fixable by what i suggested above.
    other than that, i think the door panel would have to come off to realign it, and i wouldnt recommend that without knowing a bit about what you are doing.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I have a Haynes manual that has saved my ass a few times, but the number of steps to get the panels off is ridiculous, and from the photos getting it off wouldn't help too much anyway.

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

there ya go.

im guessing that without a mechanic, you are just going to have to bite the bullet and carpool on monday.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You've tried all the easy solutions. You're screwed. Car Windows have all kinds of gears and levers, there's no way to force one.

When a power window fails, which happens about twice per car, I duct tape a plastic trash bag over the window when it's parked. I take it off to drive and hope it doesn't rain.

Electric windows are a real pain. On the balance I think they're more trouble than they're worth. I've only once in my life had a manual window fail. Of course it was crossing the desert in August, halfway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Fortunately it was a Volvo and the A/C was so heroic it made the interior bearable for the next two hours. Why do cars built in a factory set on an ice floe have such good air conditioning?

Your car is too new for this--oh wait its a Jaguar! One of my favorite movie quotes, from Tim Robbins in "IQ," goes something like this:

10. fishtail Registered Senior Member

It could be a simple thing like a limit switch not working, i dont know about jags but getting at the things can be a pain.

11. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

americans can have an opinion on Jaguars the day they start to pronounce the name right

12. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Jag-warrh

Sounds like catarrh's nastier twin.

*wonders whether he wants to start this battle*

Why not?

At least us Brits, Europeans and er, most other countries in the world, can make cars that go round corners!

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's "kha-GWAR," dude! Even most of my people don't say it right. But at least they pronounce Don Juan more or less correctly, not making three syllables out of it.

14. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Ah, but language is an evolving, constantly changing thing, and all that other crap you yanks come out with when we tell you you're pronouncing something wrong

Anyway, that doesn't apply because I said the name which the makers pronounce "jag-you-are" and not the word

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

'93 Jag? Oh you poor baby.

Doesn't it sense mechanical problems automatically and send out a helicopter full of technicians in lab coats?

This is why I never buy a car with automatic windows.

16. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

This thread is just a blatant excuse to mention (or pretend) that you have a Jaguar.

17. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

LOL, if I was bragging about owning a Jaguar I wouldn't go on about having a dodgy electric window, now would I? That hardly reeks of sophistication....

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I thought it sounds like JAG-you-er when you guys say it fast.
    You're thinking of Rolls-Royce. That's probably an urban legend. Perhaps Schleeb knows if it was ever true.

The punch line to that one: After the car is roadworthy again and the technicians have flown off in their helicopter, the grateful owner asks his driver to stop at the next establishment so he can make a call. (This was in the days before Satan invented cellphones.) He dials the Rolls-Royce factory and thanks them effusively for getting him back on the road. Then he says, "I'm curious, how often do those chaps get out?"

"Chaps, sir?"

"The ones in the helicopter. How often do they have to fly out and help motorists stranded in Rolls-Royces?"

--pause--

"Sir, you must be mistaken. I have no record of one of our motorcars ever breaking down on the road."

19. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

How could you make that trip in a volvo? Are you sure it wasn't a fireapple red convertible?

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Some say:

Jag-waar (not WAR!)

As for a window fix... Sorry can't be much help, sounds like a complete open up the panelling. Which in all honest isn't something to do if you have a nasty habit of getting halfway through trying to prise something open and then make a bodge job. It will cost man hours (and VAT) for someone with the right skills (and hopefully tools) to fix, I would also suspect that you'll have them suggest a number of replacement parts where if you haven't got them available you'll be driving around with the window done up until they order those parts in. (which is real annoying with toll booths)

I would suggest however asking for some sort of work guarantee, the number of times that cars are taken into garages for particular jobs just to have a bodge job where the problem keeps returning remittantly is staggering, so make sure if you have a problem after they have fixed it, they fix it free of charge. (This stops shoddy workmanship to begin with)

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This was forty years ago and it was a friend's car. I had a motorcycle at that time (my first of several BMWs) but even I wasn't enough of a hard-core biker to ride across the desert in summer. However, I did ride the full length of America a few years later and through eleven European countries a few years later than that.

Don't worry, when I hung up my helmet I got a red T-top Trans-Am.

And later a white Porsche 928 (a chick's car but still a pretty nice ride) and the finest, most agile car ever built, a red '87 Toyota Supra.

22. Jag owner Registered Member

wood dash

Actually Fraggle a polished burr walnut dash IS better than black (or any other color) plastic. What I never understood was the wood veneer applied to the whole side of cars. You're right about the electrics though. Lucus is otherwise known as The Prince of Darkness.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

1993 Jag, before Ford took it over and tried to improve the piece of crap car. You'll need to remove the outer cover over the inside door panel to get at the mechanism that is either broken or just stopped working. Then you;ll need to remove that device and either rebuild it with a new gear or a new device all together depending upon what you determine the problem is after removing it.