Can you trust an atheist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Why?, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

Jesus didn't mean literally. None of his Apostles would have survived the butchering if Jesus demanded lobotomies.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

One Raven,

yes it is proven that all human lie daily...wether it be to other people or to themselves.
    You need lies to avoid mind-conflicts.
    I mean: for instance you smoke. You know smoking is an unhealthy habbit. Still you keep on smoking. why? Cause you tell yourself you'll stop in the future, you won't die of it cause yr uncle didn't,...you try to tell yrself it an't that bad.
    Same with descisions...don't tell me you have never made a wrong desccion. To accept, your mind will tell you a lie or change reality.
    For instance you buy a jeans in a shop and 2 shops later you see the very same jeans but cheaper. This is the moment yr mind gets in conlfict and needs to fix the instability.
    In this ways (mental) lies are created.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's what I said.
    Matthew 5.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You have suggested reasons why some people lie to themselves.
    That is a far cry from "proving" that all humans do.

8. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Ok if you wanna quote Plato (or who the hell told this quote) : you can never say that all ravens r black, cause you r never see all ravens in yr life...yes than that damn silly white raven is an exeption.
    The lies I am talking about are silly things, not big issues...they are going about how yr minds justifies things for yrself...most of them even happen subconsiously.Why do you take the car instaed of yr bike?Why do you drink Coke instead of water ...
    I suggest you read Daniel Golemans: Vital lies, simple truths:the psychology of Self - Deception. Truly a very interesting book