Can You Read In Your Dreams?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jessiej920, Mar 22, 2009.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I never read or tryed to read anythang in my dreams untill about 25 years ago after readin a article about it in Psycology Today(?) magazine.!!!

It gave som tips about how to lucid dream an how to have mor flyin type dreams... an i had a flyin type dream the firs nite i used those tips.!!!
    An ever sinse readin that article i get a kick out the dreams that i try to read stuff... an also... all dreams... even the scary types are enjoyable cause i feel as if i have control over the outcom... if a dream starts headin in a directon i dont like i can do that paart over to a way thats mor pleasin to me.!!!

I suspect that the less fear you have that you mite have a scary dream... the less likely you will be to have a dream that scars you.!!!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I try to avert dreams that might scar me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I can remenber thankin... boy that dream was scary an i shure hope i dont have anuther 1 like that... an the thout of havin anuther scary dream coud make me dread goin to sleep... but now that i look forward to dreams they jus ant scary anymor.!!!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I remember lots of mine too.

Do you often have music in your dreams?

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I dont recall hearin music in a dream or sounds in general... but when people talk i seem to "hear" what they are sayin... but i guess its mor like i jus emagine what ther voise is soundin like... but i can "feel" thangs in a dream such as pane... but only if my body is actualy feelin that pane... but i thank real soounds an light an pane can be incorporated into the dream you hapen to be havin [an actualy change the directon of you'r dream] .!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  9. tim840 Registered Senior Member

geez man... do you spell things wrong on purpose? sorry but it just bugs the bejeebus out of me!! for instance, adding that "h" in "sure," theres no way that was a matter of convenience. and replacing "i"s with "a"s? it just makes you seem dumb, mister. i mean, seriously... is there ANY good reason to spell words wrong on purpose? maybe im wrong, maybe its not on purpose, but it sure seems like it is...

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes mos people who my postin style bugs jus dont read my posts.!!!

11. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I've read in dreams countless times. Yesterday I read a few sentences.

I meditate into a light sleep, and keep myself conscious as the images solidify. If you consciously focus your eyes on what you want to see, the images disappear as you really just focus on the back of your eyelid. In the dream state you have to look without your eyes... just keep your eyes unfocused but still look. It is a tough paradoxical state but end the end is just a matter of 'letting go'

Remembering what you read is the next step and most realistically achieved by just writing whatever dreams you have, whenever you have them. When you write your dreams it unconsciously changes the formatting of the memory, and because of the plasticity of our minds, remembering dreams become easier and easier over time.

Another method is to use a mnemonics device. Like if you want to remember a list of things, retrieve a well-known path in your mind, and hook all the variables you want to remember to symbolic milestones on the path with absurd examples. I can explain that more if you want, but you can find it in most mnemonics books. I haven't had a lot of success with this but it is extremely interesting.

I also developed one method for recording mental images. Scribble a lot on a piece of paper... drawing to music usually makes the scribbles a lot more artistic. I can explain the reason for that if you want. And then turn the lights in your house off so you are sitting with the scribbles in complete darkness. Slowly, as your eyes adjust the dark your eyes will see more and more of the scribbles. Your brain will automatically 'fill-in' the information usually making a number of faces - I can explain why if you want. Once you start seeing faces, trace over them with the pen, making certain lines darker and darker. You can close your eyes throughout this process and find no difference in your visual field.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

When i had a 7 to 3 job... i woud go out to my vehicle at lunch an dose off an on for about 20 minutes... an was very sucessful at lucid type dreams durin that time.!!!

If i focused to much on how i wanted the "dream" to go i tended to wake up... but if i jus let-go i had less control over the dream... but it was fun goin bak an forth like that anyhow.!!!

I have never gone to the trouble of writin my dreams down other than postin them... but i can emagine how that esercise woud effect ones ability to remenber mor dreams.!!!

For abut 3 mounthes... about 3 to 5 times a day... for about 2 minutes each time... i woud practice on how to tell the diference between dreamin an bein awake... an 1 time i was in line at a store to pay for somptin an let my mind drift into a dream like state... an for abut 3 seconds i coudnt determine if i was asleep or awake... an that scared me an i never practiced that type stuff agan... cause it crossed my mind... what if i got stuck in a dream state an coudnt get out.!!!

But still... those few mounthes of a little bit of practice changed the way i dream in positive ways to this day.!!!

13. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Once, I had to do a project for my Art of Biology class in college. We had to spend two weeks keeping track of a biological process and then turn it into an art project. I decided to record my dreams. For two weeks I got up every morning, drank a cup of coffee and wrote down as many words as I could that related to my dreams. At first I started out with only a couple words a day, but by the end of the two weeks I was writing pages. It was crazy how once I started recording them and got into the habit of recalling them, I was able to remember so much more as the weeks progressed. After I was done recording my dreams for two weeks I went back and catalogued how many words were the same between all the dreams and then assigned each common word a color (Like "Kitten" was pink, "River" was blue, and "Sun" was yellow etc.). I called it my dream prism. The art project was pretty cool looking. I can't really explain it, but I made a rising sun of sorts with each ray reprsenting each day and each day had all the different colors representing the common words. By the 14th ray there were so many colors, I could hardly fit them all.

14. tim840 Registered Senior Member

just last night i had a dream in which i had to read something, and i was able to.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yes but did you "read" it, or did you "just know what you were reading"?

16. tim840 Registered Senior Member

hmm now that i dont remember. i cant recall actually looking at the text and processing, although that doesnt mean it didnt ever happen in the dream... perhaps i did just know it. i dont generally remember the specifics of my dreams -- just the generalities.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well that depends, do you dream with your eyes open or closed? cause i cant see how you would read if your eyes were closed, lolz bad pun.